Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-26-2018, 09:28 AM   #1

Tear in Linoleum Tile

Hello
I have owned my trailer since new (with no problems) and stored it last Fall like I always do. I went out yesterday since the weather is warming up to check it out and noticed the linoleum tile ripped in several places. I first thought water damage but didn't see any discoloration on the subfloor and then vandalism but the tears go under the rear slide. It happened in several places from the furnace vent into the walls and the bathroom.
What could have caused this?
Old 03-26-2018, 09:42 AM   #2

Could be extreme cold cracks.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:50 AM   #3

Ok thanks. I kinda thought maybe that could be it but it has been cold every winter lol. Just wanted to rule out anything detrimental.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:13 AM   #4

There was another post a couple weeks ago about this and the guy had pictures. It sounds the same as what you've experienced. The bottom line was that it was caused by extreme temp swings on a very thin glued down vinyl.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
There was another post a couple weeks ago about this and the guy had pictures. It sounds the same as what you've experienced. The bottom line was that it was caused by extreme temp swings on a very thin glued down vinyl.
Had a Jayco tech tell me Jayco only glues the edges down on vinyl.Of course who would believe those guys!
Attached Thumbnails
Lake Plesant.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
Had a Jayco tech tell me Jayco only glues the edges down on vinyl.Of course who would believe those guys!
I replaced my vinyl floors and they were glued about 90% coverage.
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 12:12 PM   #7

If the tears started at a floor vent, most likely when cutting the floor vent out they squared the corners of the vinyl...which creates a stress point allowing a rip or tear to happen with movement.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 05:45 AM   #8

Yep, or they just took a razor knife and cut it out leaving x's on the corners. In other words, the slices go past each other then later they continue to get longer.

From looking at everything else, it seems if they want a hole somewhere they use a hammer and beat a hole thru the plywood floor or wall instead of cutting or drilling. Some of it is pure unprofessional and lazy but I guess that's what it takes if you want to build one in 8 hours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
If the tears started at a floor vent, most likely when cutting the floor vent out they squared the corners of the vinyl...which creates a stress point allowing a rip or tear to happen with movement.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:11 AM   #9

Scary a Jayco tech would tell you that. The video Jayco puts out showing a trailer being built shows a worker putting glue down all over the wood floor before the vinyl flooring is put in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 10:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakerEasy View Post

From looking at everything else, it seems if they want a hole somewhere they use a hammer and beat a hole thru the plywood floor or wall instead of cutting or drilling. Some of it is pure unprofessional and lazy but I guess that's what it takes if you want to build one in 8 hours!
I really don't agree with that statement it's kind of over the top!
Old 03-27-2018, 10:18 AM   #11

they put the vinyl down first, then build the rest , there is no room for contraction or expansion,extreen temp changes, it tears. had it happen on my previous trailer and it was a roockwood. in our area many dealers had it happen on their lots that winter
rjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 10:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
Scary a Jayco tech would tell you that. The video Jayco puts out showing a trailer being built shows a worker putting glue down all over the wood floor before the vinyl flooring is put in place.
In the old days when vinyl flooring was laid in homes it was glued 100%. In the past 20 years it has only been glued on the edges, this allowed it to lay flat as it tightened and no puckering. I don't know what Jayco is using or why they glue the whole floor, repairs are much easier when only the edges are glued.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 12:59 PM   #13

The OP's rig is 10 years old according to their signature. Couldn't it just be drying out after 10 years of temp extremes?
Old 03-27-2018, 08:12 PM   #14

Which part? Would you like pictures of my floor under the sink and stuff where they beat a hole thru the plywood with the claw of a hammer? The 7 hour reference was a tongue in cheek comment in reference to the Jayco 7 hour build video below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
Old 03-27-2018, 08:33 PM   #15

Very observant, I totally missed the age. You're probably correct on the age and temperature being a cause.

Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
The OP's rig is 10 years old according to their signature. Couldn't it just be drying out after 10 years of temp extremes?
Old 03-28-2018, 05:51 PM   #16

We had a whole a tear from the slide outs The bolts were not tight and a screw wasn’t counter sunk took three months in the short to get it fixed but it was repairable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tinamariemo38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 06:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
X2 not what I found on my unit or saw at the factory. Either of the factory tours I took. Would take a heck of a beating since it's 5/8 Plywood (American Made too).

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 02:14 AM   #18

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
Same thing happened to my brother-in-laws about 4 years ago ...... we thought the same thing, but a friend of mine who is a tech at local RV dealer was talking to me, and i mentioned it to him, and he was telling me they had run across a few of their brand that did it also, was the extreme cold, no water leak issues! We just tiled right over the linolium, looked great when we were done
Old 03-30-2018, 09:58 AM   #19

Yea its not a good idea to rip up the existing vinyl floor. It is all over the whole floor and under the walls. Even carpet areas have it under it. It seals your floor pretty much. Best thing to do is just lay over it. I highly recommend the "Click" plank vinyl floors for that purpose as they are very easy to install. I put one in my last unit when the floors were wearing out.
Chiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:00 AM   #20

Reviving and older thread..
well my '11 octane had this happen last year and then this year it did it again only it went the other direction a rip this time of over 6 feet... so I will have to do something...

it ripped from the wheel well over towards the oven... the vinyl is not glued down in the middle or if it is the glue has failed which I find to be unlikely.. so I need to replace it.

My question is how do you put the plank stuff in.. do you glue the edges ? or just put it down and let it float around.. I have tie downs in the floor that need to be removed and put back in and that is my concern with making all those cuts..

the other option is to just get a new sheet of vinyl and glue it at the edges and cut out the openings for the tie downs...

any advice would be great.
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote