Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-24-2019, 11:45 PM   #1

Telescoping ladders — good, bad, bargains?

I don’t have a factory ladder built into my TT and recent nights camping under big pines in heavy winds and thunderstorms got me to thinking how I’d check the roof if, God forbid, something came crashing down. I’m thinking about getting a lightweight telescoping ladder to carry in the pickup bed. Any great recommendations out there? I’m no big fan of climbing ladders onto roofs but do it fine with a 10-foot stepladder fine at home. Do telescoping A-frame ladders work well? Or just an extension-type? The roof is about 11 feet high. Thanks!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 01:29 AM   #2

I bought one at walmart that extends out to 17' i think, and folds to around 4' or so. It works great but it is heavy to handle. Lowe's and HD should have plenty too.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:24 AM   #3

I carry a folding ladder also and it rides in the bed of the TV. It’s a 4 section folding ladder that can make a scaffold shape, an A frame stepladder and a 17’ straight ladder. While I have a rear ladder I prefer to use the folder to get on the roof. At 17’ it makes the climb very comfortable and I have pieces of pool noodles that I pad the rails with to avoid scratching/denting the 5th. In the A config I can easily wash bugs from the front cap. If you tow a TT it’s probably a little longer than you need. If I was tighter on storage I’d probably get a telescoping ladder.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 07:45 AM   #4

I bought this one from Amazon. Easy to use and doesn't take up a lot of room.

https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Exte.../dp/B008LD1TDK
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:19 AM   #5

I've got an aluminum one from Amazon, under $70 if I remember correctly. I love it. My Jayco came with the garbage rear ladder, I will never get one again. Its flimsy and inconvenient and one more maintenance issue. My telescoping ladder is lightweight and easy to store, I can set it up where I need it (sidewall next to the slide) and I can let other people borrow it.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 10:27 AM   #6

I have a telescoping ladder in the trailer and then a folding ladder that I use to maintain the trailer, I am really not a fan of heights so I like a lot of over hang to the roof to get on and off. I am also very heavy so require a much higher weight rating for the ladder. The folding ladder would not fit in the trailer storage and is very heavy.
2003 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel (Sold)
Reese Steadi-Flex (Sold)
DH, SWMBO, DS, & Dog
jpgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 10:56 AM   #7

Thanks for all the feedback! Like JPGale, I don’t like heights and like to have plenty of ladder sticking up above the roof to hold onto. Sounds like telescoping ones would work if at least 12-13 feet. There’s such a disparity in prices on Amazon, from $80 to several hundred, it’s hard to know what’s good. Don’t want shoddy workmanship in a ladder!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote