Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-15-2014, 04:30 PM   #1

Question Television in my TT

Hello. I am a new TT owner and am learning about all of the ins and outs.
My TT has a semi permanent location on my property. We want to have access to as many television channels as possible in the TT while it is parked on our site. If it turns out that we are unable to establish a cable hook up through our local provider, is there another option? I know the TT has an antenna--a Windgard Sensar antenna specifically. Is anyone familiar with this antenna? What kind of reception can I get on it? I'm sure I can get local channels, but what about more than that? Is this in any way similar to a satellite dish? Pardon my ignorance. Advice?
cjthies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 04:46 PM   #2

I'm sure you can order Dish right up for your RV and they will install it too. Get all the channels you want. Call Dish and let them know and they can then provide info on the dish install and setting everything up as I have seen many, many trailers in CGs and such running their satellite on top of the trailer.

Other than Dish or other satellite company, cable would be about it. You might be able to run cable to a box out by the trailer from your local cable provided and then run a separate cable to the trailer provided your trailer has a cable outlet (most do).

Other than those two ideas...that's all I got.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:14 PM   #3

If you are a football nut, like me, and want the NFL channels too, get Direct TV. Spent 30 minutes in the rain Sunday setting up my dish in a new, wet, and windy location. Only to watch my Buccaneers get plastered, AGAIN! Some of us are just gluttons for punishment!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:56 PM   #4
Lost in the Woods

it sounds like you already have the trailer.....why not go out raise the antenna and try it?
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:39 PM   #5

The antenna is only going to pick up local over the air tv channels. It's not a satellite dish.
mnebinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:10 AM   #6

It depends on where you are, as to how well your outside antenna will work.
I had one that picked about 30 channels when we were 100 miles from Dallas.
Here in Eastern Ky, I would be lucky to get anything much at over 40 miles, and this is just over the air channels.
But as nbhybrid say's give it a try.
Jimw606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:36 AM   #7

Get Dish for your home [or Direct] and add an extra receiver for your TT. Then buy a Dish ant. and install it near where you will park the TT. The extra receiver will cost you Approx.$7 a month and you'll get everything you get on the receiver in your house. When you travel use a tailgater or use your dish ant on a tripod and your sat tv will travel with you. You can get network tv at a distant location while on vac by calling dish and temporarily changing your home address. Switch it back when you get home. You won't get your locals but you will be able to get the networks from the nearest major city when you travel. Or use the dish for sat channels and the roof ant for over the air.

ON your own property the extra receiver is the answer. No reason to pay for cable in your house and dish for the TT. Switch to one of the sat providers for your home and pay once for tv in both.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:15 AM   #8

I've been trying to decide if I want to spend $500 for an automatic settup for the trailer. I guess thats a "tailgater"? I was thinking about just taking my dvr Dish reciever with me. I have it loaded with movies. And use the laptop for "current events". Anyone think of a reason that wouldnt work?
rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote