Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-27-2015, 07:19 PM   #1

Television/ Satellite connection

Hello all. New here. Just bought a 2016 26BHS last week and are getting it prepared for our 1st trip. We have a satellite dish and receiver we would like to hook up and the dealer mad it sound easy but we are having difficulties. In the entertainment cabinet there is one coax with booster for the antenna and then a double connection next to it. The problem is we cannot get either the top or bottom working as in from dish to the receiver and which one would be out to TV. I know it sounds simple but we have plugged in both ways and neither gives us a signal to the TV. I am running the satellite connection to the outside Jack and then a connection from one of the double jacks to the In jack on the receiver and then a connection from the receiver out to TV back to the other empty jack that should go to TV. The jacks are not labeled so we don't know which is correct. Right now we have 3 jacks and are only certain which one goes to the antenna.
Any help would be appreciated.
gofishtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:29 PM   #2

There should be a box with a jumper and a sticker that says remove jumper and hook sat reciever here. It should be behind the tv.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:42 PM   #3

Thanks Elder Mike but do you mean it's on the television itself? The TV did not come with the unit. It is an entertainment cabinet with a revolving cabinet for the TV and we supplied the mount also so nothing there. Wires come out from the entertainment cabinet to the TV. There are 3 jacks in the cabinet but only the jack for the Antenna on top has a label. Nothing that says jumper. From what the dealership told us we would only have to move the one wire off of the antenna jackover to one of the other jacks but that so far is not the case. If all else fails I will have to make a trip back to the dealership and see what they recommend. My elderly mother travels with us and the satellite TV will keep her entertained while we are off kayaking or doing something else that she is not up for. Maybe have to run it in the window like we did on our old RV but it's our understanding that it is wired for the satellite and would like to be able to use it.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:05 PM   #4

I don't know how your trailer connections are configured - but I know from my personal experience that the satellite signal from the dish to the receiver box has to be a straight shot. It can not go through any type of splitter. Our Jayco 18 SRB had just one connection nipple for both "cable tv" and "antenna tv". Both feeds came into one splitter. I had to separate the "cable tv" feed coaxial from the splitter and installed its own dedicated connection nipple to connect the satellite receiver to. This solved my Dish / receiver issues. Now when I use the satellite dish I just connect it directly to the "cable tv" connection on the side of our trailer and use the new dedicated connection nipple that I installed in the trailer to complete my direct connection to the satellite receiver inside. Good luck!

HaPPy Travels!
2008 Toyota Tacoma 4.0L V6 T.V.
2015 Jayco 18 SRB T. T.
krcarter54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:04 AM   #5

If you have these conditions:
1. A single coax connector outside
2. A wall plate with a jumper coax

Then this is how you connect the satellite receiver:
1. Remove the jumper
2. Connect the satellite receiver input connector to the top wall plate connector
3. Connect the satellite receiver TV connector to the bottom wall plate connector
4. TV is connected to the wall plate with the 12V power connector on it.
5. Be sure the antenna amplifier is OFF. (Green LED is off)

For cable TV put the jumper back.
For rooftop antenna turn on the green LED

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:33 AM   #6

Great tnchuck 100 this is the info I needed and I can see where we were going wrong.
Thanks to everyone for your responses.