Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-30-2015, 04:05 AM   #1

Televisions

Hello
We are the first time owners of an Jay Flight RB 23 and new to the trailering world
My question is regarding TV's and whether they must be RV specific or something from Best Buy will work
We intend to travel/ boondocks as our primary use
Do the TV stand up to the road conditions? Or are there RV mounts that take care of that ?
Thanks
Soltice
Soltice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 04:07 AM   #2

I don't believe their is an RV specific TV. The ones they come with are just regular TVs. TVs are shipped to stores in trucks that bounce just as much or more than a trailer...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 05:44 AM   #3

I replaced my original TV (some weird off brand I've never heard of) with a Samsung. Worked perfectly.

Good luck!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 06:53 AM   #4

They do actually make TVs that work off 12V, and they are more expensive than the 120V (normal) TVs. TVs in RVs are set up to work off 120V, so just a regular TV will work.

jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:19 AM   #5

Television

Thank you
Good points to all
My main concern was vibration and travel abuse wrecking a TV sensitive components
Off to Best Buy I go😀
Soltice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:21 AM   #6

Hey...get me another too! I'll pay ya back! Promise!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 10:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soltice View Post
My main concern was vibration and travel abuse wrecking a TV sensitive components
Ahh haa, think about your TV mount! You want one that securely holds the weight and 'locks in place'. Please search the forum on TV mounts for there are many posts on this topic along with great pictures on how to install and work with locking mounts (ours is one of the war stories so posted). We ultimately went with the higher-weight-rated mount because the one we originally purchased (from Amazon) appeared to be right for the weight but quickly started sagging due to the normal TT bouncing!

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:09 PM   #8

I brought this up at the time of ordering our NP 375 BHFS. It comes with 3 - 32" and a 46" tv with built in DVD players... The last time I bought a DVD was around 2011 and am sold on nothing but Samsung and blue ray. The dealer said they couldn't undo the tv's because they are part of the package so they said they work with me on a credit for them to keep them. Does anyone know what brand Jayco uses?
TDMZKTAGratton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 02:38 AM   #9

If I'm not mistaken the new ones are using a brand name "Furrion" or something like that. Supposedly they went with this brand because it holds up better under RV like circumstances. i.e. bouncing and jostling around a lot while in the back and going down the road. Other brands aren't designed for constant movement and components can come loose after long periods being banged around....supposedly anyway. This could also be dealer specific, so I don't know. Something to consider though. As with anything, research research research! Look into it and browse for reviews of different brands and TVs before you make an investment.
Old-Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 06:15 AM   #10
Site Team

My 2011 uses RCA.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 07:43 AM   #11

The Furrions have 'vibrationsmart' and 'climatesmart' technology. I assume these features make them a bit more suited to RV/boat applications.

Led Tv's Engineered For Mobile Applications
jloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 07:43 AM   #12

Jayco (and many other manufacturers) seem to change TV brands every few years. Probably get whatever is cheapest...

One of the first things that we have done in all of our recent RV's is to switch the TV's out to Samsung smart TVs. We use a 32" in the living area, and a 25" in the bedroom.

They are fully WiFi connected, and we use them for streaming movies, and "surfing" in the campgrounds that have WiFi.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 07:47 AM   #13

I use the VIZIO model in mine - Always a good sale on-going at WALMART... Bestbuy is a great store but they might be on the pricey side.

About the only thing to watch for is make sure you get a digital type HIGH DEF TV. The NATIONAL BROADCAST System does not support the old analog TV 's anymore.. All of the new TV's should be this mode...

I threw away all of my old HEAVY ANALOG TV's when the changeover came a few years back. The new Flat Screen HDTV's are light weight and will mount almost anywhere.

You must be careful on where you can mount the TV's to the very thin walls of the RV Trailers. Not everywhere will support the HDTV's by just screwing directly to the thin walls. Unless you screw into something thick the screws will simply pull out with the weight of the LCD flatscreens. The best approach is to mount a back board first and screw into that with your HDTV swivel mounts.

There is a ton of info on the forums about this subject...

I'm guessing your JAYCO 23B is an older trailer with the older analog heavy TV's installed?

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 07:58 AM   #14

hmm.. I'm seeing the 39" Furrion on their website for $415.00.
Jayco charges $750.00 for the option. I wonder why there is such a BIG markup?
Does the TV option from Jayco include the mount and additional wiring that you don't get if you don't choose the TV option?

Do you folks leave the TV's in the camper during the off season?

I store mine in the house.
jloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:31 AM   #15

I believe the newer models have an electronic arm on the TV which folds out for viewing and then folds back up with the push of a button. Probably a pricey piece of equipment. That may have something to do with it. I don't know though.
Old-Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:35 AM   #16

The wiring is standard in the new units, and the power swing out arm and TV is standard (Customer Value) on the motorhomes. There is a standard backer-board in the wall of the bedroom, and is usually marked. The power and cable outlet are within a few feet of where the bedroom TV is.

Best Buy and Wall-Mart match each others prices.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 03:04 PM   #17

We use the American Strong arm mount. When we travel we remove the TV and place it on the bed. We also mounted the second base on the outside and occasionally use the same TV outside
Amazon.com: Ready America MRV3500 Strong Arm Removable LCD Mount: Electronics
ninjahbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 04:52 PM   #18

Welcome to the 23RB family!

I contacted Jayco. They recommended a 19"-26" TV. We picked an HDMI 26" Westinghouse that Best Buy had on sale.

Armed with Jayco's wall drawings and a stud finder, I mounted a Stanley Tmr-ec3103t 13"-37" Tilt Wall Mount (Walmart.com) with 1" coarse thread screws. With a slip on coax connector, it easily disconnects for travel.

<><
Rivercityjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 06:39 PM   #19

"It comes with 3 - 32" and a 46" tv with built in DVD players." That sounds like a movie stars trailer.

I have a single TV (perhaps a 32 inch), w/DVD, which I've only turned on twice. Now my separately provided amp, tuner and speakers are on all the time; rock on.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:27 AM   #20

O.P.
As many others have said, the television(s) that comes in most trailers run(s) off 120V power. That means you have to be plugged into shore power for your plugs/TVs to work. You mentioned you wanted to do some boon-docking (as in "Camping without an electric hook-up). If that's what you meant, you might want to get a television that runs off 120VAC or 12VDC, and a second battery. Otherwise, you'd only be able to watch the television when you're connected to shore power or your generator.

One other thing: since LED technology has advanced so much, the manufacturers have stopped making plasma TV's. In order to get rid of back stock, many retailers and on-liners are offering steep discounts on plasma TV's. DON'T LET THE LOWER PRICES SUCK YOU IN! They are incredibly heavy, and the shaking will really mess up the liquid plasma. Stick with an LED.

My TT came with a 32" "Continue-Us" brand LED in the living room, with a buried wire connection to the radio/DVD Player. There was a reinforced spot on the bedroom wall for mounting a TV mounting bracket. There's also an antennae outlet at that location, but nothing going back to the DVD player. I simply installed the mount and the LED television with built-in DVD player that I had bought for my old trailer. (It came with nothing.) If you have a lot of DVD's, you may want to do the same thing. If "Blu-Ray" is your preference, you'll probably have to go with a free-standing "Blu-ray" player, as I've never seen a TV/Blue-Ray combo.

Just my 2 cents. Best of luck making your decision.

Tags
tip of the learning curve