Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-11-2014, 06:33 AM   #11

My 2013 Eagle 266RKS has the standard Denver Mattress (they didn't start putting the pillow-top in until the 2014 models). After reading so many complaints/recommendations, I added a 3" memory foam mattress topper. I didn't care for it at all! Too firm, initially, then formed a dip where I was laying that made it impossible to turn onto my side, or even change positions. I took the advise of a couple of folks here, and laid the memory foam on the plywood (like a box spring) and put the Denver Mattress on top. Just for grins, I added a 1" corrugated foam rubber mattress pad (left over from my old trailer) on top of that. Now, it feels just like my Simmons Beauty-Rest Pillow-top at home. It's firm, but not hard - with just a little "cush" on top.

Mind you, I haven't actually slept on it yet - only laid on it and sat on it. I'll be giving it the official test sleep in 3 weeks, when I start my "full time" camping adventure. I'll report back after a week or so . . . if I can drag myself out of bed (lol).

While I was at it, I moved the bed struts 4" toward the foot of the bed. The change of "leverage point" does a much better job of supporting the additional weight of the memory foam, pad, linens & blanket. And I didn't have to spend $50 for new struts!

Old 07-11-2014, 07:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Fla View Post
I am curious how the new mattress you ordered is doing.
We bought from the same company and got the 8 Inch thick mattress, great customer service, we love it. (We did do a custom mattress with the Mattress Insider as we wanted a firmer mattress than their standard)
When we recently traded our Jayco for SOB that was one thing we did was move our memory foam mattress to our new 5th Wheel and put the new 5th Wheels mattress in our Jayco trade.
I haven't actually received the mattress yet, suppossed to receive it next week. I'm glad you like yours. Looking foreward to trying it out. I figured I would have to make some changes to the struts.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Fla View Post
I am curious how the new mattress you ordered is doing.
We bought from the same company and got the 8 Inch thick mattress, great customer service, we love it. (We did do a custom mattress with the Mattress Insider as we wanted a firmer mattress than their standard)
When we recently traded our Jayco for SOB that was one thing we did was move our memory foam mattress to our new 5th Wheel and put the new 5th Wheels mattress in our Jayco trade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
My 2013 Eagle 266RKS has the standard Denver Mattress (they didn't start putting the pillow-top in until the 2014 models). After reading so many complaints/recommendations, I added a 3" memory foam mattress topper. I didn't care for it at all! Too firm, initially, then formed a dip where I was laying that made it impossible to turn onto my side, or even change positions. I took the advise of a couple of folks here, and laid the memory foam on the plywood (like a box spring) and put the Denver Mattress on top. Just for grins, I added a 1" corrugated foam rubber mattress pad (left over from my old trailer) on top of that. Now, it feels just like my Simmons Beauty-Rest Pillow-top at home. It's firm, but not hard - with just a little "cush" on top.

Mind you, I haven't actually slept on it yet - only laid on it and sat on it. I'll be giving it the official test sleep in 3 weeks, when I start my "full time" camping adventure. I'll report back after a week or so . . . if I can drag myself out of bed (lol).

While I was at it, I moved the bed struts 4" toward the foot of the bed. The change of "leverage point" does a much better job of supporting the additional weight of the memory foam, pad, linens & blanket. And I didn't have to spend $50 for new struts!
If your system doesn't work out, I know where you can get a pillowtop "cheap!"
Old 07-11-2014, 10:54 AM   #14

Innerspring mattresses are problematic to begin with. We've all shopped them in department stores and mattress stores and find prices from a couple hundred to several thousand. It's impossible to price compare because every store has its own set of model names, although chances are they're all pretty much the same at a given price point if you're looking at one of the major S's. (Odd how the major brands so often begin with that letter.)

My point is, we shouldn't expect much comfort from the cost-conscious RV industry. If you're not getting a good night's sleep, replace it. We've gone to two-bladder air mattresses both in the RV and at home. Not cheap, roughly a thousand and up. DW's much lighter than me and likes hers much firmer than I do. So we both get what we want and our backs do better.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:55 PM   #15

Our original mattress was left behind at the RV shop where we bought the RV.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:02 PM   #16

one night on ours and that was enough. Put a 2" gel foam on top the next morning and that did the trick.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:08 PM   #17

We put a 2 inch memory foam mattress on top that we bought at costco. Makes all the difference!

2014 Jayflight 24FBS Elite (Sold)
ykcamom is offline   Reply With Quote