Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-10-2017, 01:34 PM   #1

Terrible Table / FIXED

I recently posted a thread about the table in our 2017 26BH. My brief exposure to the table caused me to develop a profound dislike for it. The replies I received overwhelmingly showed there is little love for the folding table that's been used in Jayco dinettes since about 2012-2013.

The pros:
-- it's reasonably stable / not wobbly
-- reasonably sturdy
-- the formica matches the countertops

The cons:

-- difficult to set up or take down (and it should be lowered every time you tow.
-- mechanism has a pinching hazard / the warning label won't make it hurt any less
-- it's heavy

So, if I complain about it, and don't offer a solution, that's whining, right? Here's what I came up with for a solution based on how we use our table, which is:

-- we want the table in the up position pretty much all the time. We seldom use the dinette for a berth.

-- we don't want to have to lower the table every time we tow as recommended by Jayco (and for good reason)

-- we only lower the table about once a year to use as an extra berth

-- we want the table in the up position when we pull over to the side of the road for lunch

And.....
-- The solution had to be cheap
-- and very easy
-- and as non-invasive to the trailer as possible...didn't want to drill holes in the floor, etc..
-- has to be easy to remove when we get to our destination
-- table should be at least partially usable without removing the restrainer
-- Wow, this guy loves bullet points, doesn't he?

No need to describe what we did, as the pictures pretty well cover it (kind of like the Popular Mechanics wordless workshop?). I'll just add that I put some rubber sticky pads on the bottom of the table's feet, and on the cross member where the webbing wraps around it under the table.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0456.jpg   DSC_0457.jpg   DSC_0458.jpg   DSC_0459.jpg  
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:08 PM   #2

I agree. That table is a Pain in the a$$! Stubborn, heavy, and a terrible pinching hazard. But with the weight of the table I wonder if those D-ring things will keep it from becoming a missile hazard during a rapid deceleration event? Like the little straps and D-ring that attempt to tie down the two recliners on our 28RLS. Guess we won't know for sure until they fail. I like your approach and solution though.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

2017 Jayco 28RLS
2018 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.2L Gas
Equalizer 12K WD Hitch

Greg&Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:31 PM   #3

Thanks. The D-rings seemed fairly robust, and the screws are #12's and a little over 2" long. Remarkably, the wood is almost 3" thick right there...the 1" thick board that's the ledge for the table when it's in the berth position, on top of a 2x2 frame board. There aren't too many places in the trailer where you'll find that good of an anchor.

I thought about through-bolting with heavy eye bolts, but I like the idea of the d-rings not protruding. My wife would have to catch herself on one just once, and I'd be a goner.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:42 AM   #4

We hate ours also. So, after 4 1/2 seasons we took it out and use a four foot light weight plastic table. We can use inside or out since it is so easy to move around. We just got back from vacation where we left it out side the whole week. (a lot more room with no table in the way). If we think we may need to make the dinette into a bed we'll put the other table back in.

David & Sandy Hinkle
2014 X23B
2007 Honda Ridgeline Traded
2016 F150 Max Tow, Tow mirrors
dhinkle57 is offline   Reply With Quote