Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-05-2018, 08:30 AM   #1

That awful power cord

Idk what Jayco was thinking.
On my Jayflight 26bh, we have the power cord that you pull out of the side, and push it back in the hole when it's done.

The problem with this is that when it us in use, the power cord and it's opening leave the perfect bridge and door for mice and other unsavory characters to enter.

Our camper is parked outside of our house right now as we complete our post-flood restoration on the house, and mice enjoy our property.

I wrapped the cord with copper wool and closed the hatch door, but is there something I can do other than having the cord and receptacle completely replaced?

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALCOFLLANMTXsm.jpg
Octopus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:06 AM   #2

There is a couple of things you can...

You can remove your Shore Power Cable from its internal connection and buy the screw on type connector for your long shore power cable and get that installed on the end. Then change your shore power door to a receptacle panel. There is a kit for this out there- Maybe ETRAILER.com

The finished product should look something like this...

Google image

The older flip up hole may be bigger than this connector and you may have to install a flat piece of metal over the old hole and mount the new receptacle to that...

Google image

Your new 30A receptacle mounted on the trailer side will be a TWIST LOCK SOCKET that looks like this. This plug will be direct wired to your 120VAC Power Distribution Panel..

Google image

What I did with mine was to fill in the area around the pull out cable hole with foam. It works to some degree but replacing the whole shore cable end is the best way to stop the critters...

Google image

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:07 AM   #3

When I used to be a carpenter we carried packs on steel wool after sealing a house. We woiuld stuff steel wool around pipe entry spaces till those were sealed. We built a lot of homes in the redwoods and seldom had a rodent problem after we started doing this.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:09 AM   #4

Just saw Roy's solution and I like that one better as a permanant solution. The set-up Roy shows already came like that on my Whitehawk.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:28 AM   #5

Furrion and Marinco Park Power are the two kits I see used the most for converting to a removable cord and eliminating the mouse hole. I went with the Marinco Park Power 30amp kit for ~$80. It lined up perfectly with the existing screw holes. Make sure you have some butyl tape on hand to properly seal the ring during installation. In addition to sealing up that opening you'll also appreciate not rapping your knuckles every time you stow the cord.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:29 AM   #6

The revamp of the electrical port looks good.

Currently I have the hatch and push back in cord too. No mice problems, hopefully never but year 3 driving down highway noticed about 1 foot of the cord hanging out. Pulled over pushed in and closed. Next trip I had the same problem. Now I put electrial tape over the hatch during travel so it can't pop open anymore
Old 07-05-2018, 09:34 AM   #7

One of our old trailers had a cable door. It fit our cable quite well. No mouse was getting through perhaps ants or small bugs I suppose but had never been a problem. It looked similar to this.
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Wiring/V...ll-description

cheaper and easier than changing ends and adding an outside plug etc. and you can pull/push the cable back into the cable storage area. I know on our old trailer it was kind of a pain to get to the cable storage area from within the trailer.

Or if you already have a cable door like that and the hole is just too big for the cable and leaves excess space then get a small piece of plastic lexan whatever cut to the shape more less of the door, cutout the right size notch in it for the cable and glue it on the inside of the door.
barryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 12:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
There is a couple of things you can...

You can remove your Shore Power Cable from its internal connection and buy the screw on type connector for your long shore power cable and get that installed on the end. Then change your shore power door to a receptacle panel. There is a kit for this out there- Maybe ETRAILER.com

The finished product should look something like this...

Google image

The older flip up hole may be bigger than this connector and you may have to install a flat piece of metal over the old hole and mount the new receptacle to that...

Google image

Your new 30A receptacle mounted on the trailer side will be a TWIST LOCK SOCKET that looks like this. This plug will be direct wired to your 120VAC Power Distribution Panel..

Google image

What I did with mine was to fill in the area around the pull out cable hole with foam. It works to some degree but replacing the whole shore cable end is the best way to stop the critters...

Google image

Roy Ken
A stupid question probably. But instead of goin to the source to install the receptacle would it be alright to just cut the existing cord just long enough where it comes out of trailer and wire that to the recepticle? I can't find any access to my pull out cord inside the camper.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
A stupid question probably. But instead of goin to the source to install the receptacle would it be alright to just cut the existing cord just long enough where it comes out of trailer and wire that to the recepticle? I can't find any access to my pull out cord inside the camper.
Yes - you can cut the cord. This is exactly what the instructions for the Mouse Hole conversion section of the Marinco ParkPower kit tell you to do. You will loose a few inches in the process as they have you cut about 12" out. Here is what my cord looked like before attaching it to the conversion receptacle:
Attached Thumbnails
SDC11597.jpg  
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 03:09 PM   #10

Yup...that sucker is a pain. The worse part is that you have to run a rag over it as you are storing it back into the compartment. This is my first camper in awhile with that set up. My Airstream B and Camplite Slide-On both had the Detachable style the guys have mentioned on previous replies. That will also be my plan to install in the future. Until then I bring the cord out. Remember the cord needs to be completely out of the storage area per Jaycos manual. I then wrap pipe insulation around the cord about 3 inches down and stuff a little bit back into the gap that is left between the cord and the small hole. It has worked awesome thus far keeping crawling things from working up the cord and into the compartment along with any water that might find its way in.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
Yes - you can cut the cord. This is exactly what the instructions for the Mouse Hole conversion section of the Marinco ParkPower kit tell you to do. You will loose a few inches in the process as they have you cut about 12" out. Here is what my cord looked like before attaching it to the conversion receptacle:
Oh kool. I was hoping I could do it that way.
Thanks!