Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-18-2017, 10:07 PM   #1

That fuse by the tongue keeps blowing

Hi, I have a 2016 white hawk and the fuse by the battery box keeps blowing since I put the batteries back in after winter storage. If I connect it to shore power everything works. If I have the truck running and connected everything works. If I have none of that hooked up nothing works and the battery level meter reads empty then goes dark. I'm aware I have a short somewhere but I'm hoping someone can tell me exactly where to check. I probably screwed something up putting the batteries back in but am being lazy and hoping someone else had the exact same problem.
northernleitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:29 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernleitz View Post
Hi, I have a 2016 white hawk and the fuse by the battery box keeps blowing since I put the batteries back in after winter storage. If I connect it to shore power everything works. If I have the truck running and connected everything works. If I have none of that hooked up nothing works and the battery level meter reads empty then goes dark. I'm aware I have a short somewhere but I'm hoping someone can tell me exactly where to check. I probably screwed something up putting the batteries back in but am being lazy and hoping someone else had the exact same problem.
I'd be real tempted to think you got the polarity reversed when you put the batteries back in.

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:31 AM   #3
Site Team

Common sense says, Look where the last activity was. Start with the battery terminals. The battery could be reversed, even for a second and the reverse polarity fuses would blow in the converter. Make sure the battery terminals are correct, then check the fuses.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:48 AM   #4

Does it blow instantly or are you doing something specific when it blows?

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:54 AM   #5

When I had that problem, it was a short in the jack. Every time I tried to use the jack, it blew that fuse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bearcat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 10:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Common sense says, Look where the last activity was.
Eggzackly! In IT troubleshooting, the first question is, "What changed?"

Roger

Old 07-19-2017, 01:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
I'd be real tempted to think you got the polarity reversed when you put the batteries back in.

Roger
See photo, does that look right?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0707.jpg  
Old 07-19-2017, 01:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
Does it blow instantly or are you doing something specific when it blows?
Does not blow instantly. Seems to blow during lengthy tow session.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:31 PM   #9

Start by using only 1 battery first, see if fuse blows, if that works your polarity on second battery is wrong. Can't see on left battery where you connections are going but one wire shows a red marking. That usually means positive and should not be connected to a negative terminal.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 01:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingjw View Post
Start by using only 1 battery first, see if fuse blows, if that works your polarity on second battery is wrong. Can't see on left battery where you connections are going but one wire shows a red marking. That usually means positive and should not be connected to a negative terminal.
Batteries are connected parallel. Red to red and so forth. Will give your suggestion a try.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:48 PM   #11

Understood, but starting at the most basic point will provide you a foundation. If it blows, try the second battery. If it blows you then have to look at you Trailer wiring as you might have a sort between the battery and and fuse wires.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 01:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernleitz View Post
See photo, does that look right?
Are they 12v batteries? I can't tell for certain from the photo. If so, it looks right. If they're 6v, then I believe they're wired wrong. 12v batteries should be wired in parallel, which these are. 6v should be wired in series to get a total of 12v.

But as I said, this looks fine if they're 12v batteries.

Roger

Old 07-19-2017, 03:02 PM   #13

Just curious But where is the WHITE wire Are the RED wires connected to a White Wire? Or maybe Jayco has changed to RED and Black.
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 03:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedrck46 View Post
Just curious But where is the WHITE wire Are the RED wires connected to a White Wire? Or maybe Jayco has changed to RED and Black.
I assumed this to be a custom mod, especially since the wires are labeled as positive and negative. But you know what assuming can get you...

Old 07-19-2017, 08:48 PM   #15

I had something similar happen to me. I am pasting what I posted on a earlier thread:
I had the same problem of blowing the 30 amp main fuse when opening the slideouts on battery power only. (did not occur on shore power or when connected to the tow vehicle) The issue was rectified by the dealer, but took multiple return trips to fix the issue in our 2016 Whitehawk 28BHKS.
The issue was finally fixed when the power wires were traced to the switch, circuit breaker box, and then the junction box. A power wire was found exposed touching ground inside of the junction box. Not the easiest issue to diagnose, but wanted to pass this info along.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:07 AM   #16

Do the single battery thing first then reconnect #2 if the single battery works ok. If things work ok for a while but blows on a longer drive, you have another problem. After the battery test, I would use a multi meter and check voltage at the battery terminals and at the converter. I'm still guessing that this has something to do with the battery. The advice for problem solving is correct, what has changed since it worked properly.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote