Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-07-2021, 12:09 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobdeep View Post
Oh, no doubt they will know. It looks ten times better. ;-)

The warranty ship sailed a looong time ago. Iíve already reprogrammed the BMpro/JayCommand device to make available the additional features such as power jacks, second HVAC, etc. Granted they would have to directly tie the change to the failed part, but we had a self-inflicted issue with our fridge and it was going to be 6 months before they could even look at the problem. It was at that point the wife and I decided to start fixing things ourselves.
It looks a hundred times better. I don't expect Jayco to be as neat but that bird's nest of wiring was absurd.

Their warranty is mostly useless anyway as the dealer either can't get you scheduled for months or they can't get the part required. Fortunately, for DIYers, trailers are relatively easy to fix as long as no major components fail.
HAL9001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 01:08 PM   #22

But also gave you spare fuses stored handy?
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 04:33 PM   #23

New industry motto: "Rats nest are us."

Sigh...

D
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 05:20 PM   #24

trailer wiring

My 29RLDS a/c quit early into warranty. Long story short they spliced the power cable in the ceiling with a RV receptacle and it came a part. Because the wires are pressed into the connector. Pulled a new wire in. Half the old wire is in the ceiling with receptacle. I didn't carry it back because my dealer does sloppy work. Inaccessible junction is against code.
steve.jurnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 06:21 PM   #25

Nice job with the wiring.

I checked our trailer wiring out and will let it be as is until something happens with it. However, a mess of wires makes adding a line or so a little more difficult, especially when it's all tucked into a void behind the power panel.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 08:10 PM   #26

Sloppy Work

Quote:
I care deeply about what cannot be seen just as much as what can be seen.

I cleaned up a good bit of electrical wiring under and around the water pump when we first bought this 2021 24BH and I said to myself "who the hell runs electrical wiring under a water pump?"

Today, I spent time cleaning up the BMPro/JayCommand unit behind the cupboard. My intent is to, hopefully, expand the use of this BMPro device. Fingers crossed it isn't manufacturer-locked like so many branded devices are. But, before I could do that, I needed to clean up this awful wiring job. I replaced the wooden panel that covered the BMPro with a piece of plexiglass.

P.S. If anybody out there knows how to re-program the BMPro or has experience with it, please DM me before I start down the path of CAN bus diagnostics. If anybody has the RVMaster tablet, the Android device that controls the JayCommand, I am also interested in talking with you.
My guess is it's because people have gone wild purchasing RVs in the pandemic and so many people are moving to full timing. RV manufacturers are backlogged and pumping out rigs as fast as they can by taking short cuts. Have you seen the price of Thor's stock lately?
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 10:04 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikerjohn7 View Post
My guess is it's because people have gone wild purchasing RVs in the pandemic and so many people are moving to full timing. RV manufacturers are backlogged and pumping out rigs as fast as they can by taking short cuts. Have you seen the price of Thor's stock lately?
That's probably correct, it takes more time to trim and neaten the wiring. Still, there is no excuse for such a rat's nest. Surely they know their customers will see it and judge the build quality on what they see. Imagine if you saw something like that in your car or truck.

There are ways to provide proper wiring and still be economical. It doesn't need to be perfect but they need to do a lot better than they do now.
HAL9001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 07:32 AM   #28

Nice job cleaning that mess. That was a sorry state of terminating the wires.
lrhogusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 08:38 AM   #29

This is a fabulous post. Kudos to gobdeep on a professional job. The more I explore our new 2020 29RKS the more I wish we had kept our old 2009 Glacier Edge. It was/is waaaay better built. On our new Jayco (2020) we have already had to have the slide completely redone with new roof and proper adjustment, replaced a factory defective AC unit, and replaced the original 12V deep cycle battery. These were done under "partial warranty". Prior to the propane regulator recall ours failed and I replaced it myself with a way superior unit provided by Superior Propane. We have also upgraded the smoke detector, added an AM/FM antenna as the factory installed "shark fin" doesn't work worth a "S--T, and replaced the entry door lock and door strike so that the door actually will close and lock properly. Additionally the long overhead cabinet above the big side window started to sag and after a partial dismantle I found that it only had one screw at each end holding it on the wall and neither one was into a stud. Cabinet now has a screw top and bottom at each stud location. Yet to do is to get the rear ceiling stereo speaker working. It has never worked and I suspect a wiring problem somewhere in the ceiling. Needless to say I am quite disappointed with Jayco. For a company that brags about building a superior product and puts out videos of the factory assembly process they need to take a reality check. Good thing we don't tow our unit. It is permanently parked at an RV seasonal camp. I fear it would come apart. SAD
CBCOCRBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 04:19 PM   #30

Quote:
I care deeply about what cannot be seen just as much as what can be seen.

I cleaned up a good bit of electrical wiring under and around the water pump when we first bought this 2021 24BH and I said to myself "who the hell runs electrical wiring under a water pump?"

Today, I spent time cleaning up the BMPro/JayCommand unit behind the cupboard. My intent is to, hopefully, expand the use of this BMPro device. Fingers crossed it isn't manufacturer-locked like so many branded devices are. But, before I could do that, I needed to clean up this awful wiring job. I replaced the wooden panel that covered the BMPro with a piece of plexiglass.

P.S. If anybody out there knows how to re-program the BMPro or has experience with it, please DM me before I start down the path of CAN bus diagnostics. If anybody has the RVMaster tablet, the Android device that controls the JayCommand, I am also interested in talking with you.
Yes, they are very bad from the Factory. My 32RL has alot of extra wires that I need to clean up. I think of how much wire was wasted by leaving all of this. In the space industry, we would not even get past the quality teams.
Attached Thumbnails
20200419_142600.jpg  
Spaceguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 05:13 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
I know that there is the desire to "clean up" the mess that is left with various construction/builds and our OCD wants it to be right but after 76 years of dealing with that in both home life and work, I have come to the point of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" when it does break I will worry about it. I sleep much better at night now.
We're the industries favorite customers 🍻 I clean it up once I have to fix something in it's path. Until then I'm of the out of sight, out of mind philosophy.
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 07:36 AM   #32

Our new 33 RBTS came without a battery disconnect, so that was my first mod. In checking out the wire block terminal, over half of the 9 or so nuts were what I considered loose. When I add a storage box on the tongue, that the batteries will also be relocated to, I will redo that whole terminal as it is located where water spray from the TV rear tires will surely soak it.
2012 Jayco 32 BHDS: Long Gone
2007 R-Vision 25: Long Long Gone
1965 Frolic Cabover: My First RV
Bugzilla46310 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bmpro, electrical, jaycommand, wiring