Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-01-2021, 07:23 PM   #1

Cool The wiring in this travel trailer is hideous!

I care deeply about what cannot be seen just as much as what can be seen.

I cleaned up a good bit of electrical wiring under and around the water pump when we first bought this 2021 24BH and I said to myself "who the hell runs electrical wiring under a water pump?"

Today, I spent time cleaning up the BMPro/JayCommand unit behind the cupboard. My intent is to, hopefully, expand the use of this BMPro device. Fingers crossed it isn't manufacturer-locked like so many branded devices are. But, before I could do that, I needed to clean up this awful wiring job. I replaced the wooden panel that covered the BMPro with a piece of plexiglass.

P.S. If anybody out there knows how to re-program the BMPro or has experience with it, please DM me before I start down the path of CAN bus diagnostics. If anybody has the RVMaster tablet, the Android device that controls the JayCommand, I am also interested in talking with you.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5427.jpg   IMG_5428.jpg   IMG_5547.jpg   IMG_5549.jpg   IMG_5551.jpg  

gobdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 09:26 PM   #2

Learned a little trick. If you go into the JayCommand app, tap Settings five times, you can change your floor plan. By selecting a floor plan with the options I want to add and maintaining my existing options, I have opened up the possibility to add additional items to the central controller.

It's the little things.
Old 12-01-2021, 11:51 PM   #3
Site Team

You did a very tidy job on your wiring. Nice! Just a guess, but I'll bet the wiring was done before the water pump was screwed down to the floor. They just didn't move the wires aside first.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 04:58 AM   #4

I have noticed that there are wires everywhere. In the ceilings, walls, and floors. It looks like they pull every wire or pair of wires individually with no flow in mind. Just string it and move on.

What is the reasoning for not using a wiring harness?
Old 12-02-2021, 05:58 AM   #5

Using cheap illegal labor and people who dropped out of school. Not to mention not having supervisors that are competent either, having been promoted from the previous mentioned ranks because they "got it done" in a shorter time then the others. Ask me how I know after a career in building houses and then moving South and seeing what is being thrown up and marketed as state of the art and modern construction.
Old 12-02-2021, 06:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobdeep View Post
I have noticed that there are wires everywhere. In the ceilings, walls, and floors. It looks like they pull every wire or pair of wires individually with no flow in mind. Just string it and move on.

What is the reasoning for not using a wiring harness?

I'd guess it's a "one size fits all" approach. Way easier to stock one length of wires for each RV line and use them in different models. Applies to hydraulic lines also evidently. I have the shortest pinnacle made and there are large coils of excess hydraulic line in the basement for the leveling jacks.
BTW, I salute your patience! I'm a bit OCD, but when I look in my basement access at the wiring I just close it up as quickly as possible. I'm guessing it would take a week for me to tidy it up and then take another week for my old body to recover from the twisting and bending!
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 06:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by klook View Post
Using cheap illegal labor and people who dropped out of school. Not to mention not having supervisors that are competent either, having been promoted from the previous mentioned ranks because they "got it done" in a shorter time then the others. Ask me how I know after a career in building houses and then moving South and seeing what is being thrown up and marketed as state of the art and modern construction.

I took a factory tour, I didn't know that Amish and Mennonites were illegal ailens....
Seriously though, I doubt anyone would be hired there that wasn't "legal". Your other points are valid tho.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 06:36 AM   #8

Great rewire job! I look at the wiring in areas in my Precept and wonder what the heck. Fuses everywhere with no idea what they control. No identification at all.
Old 12-02-2021, 08:05 AM   #9

It's even better when you pull a fuse for a low voltage circuit but the circuit is still powered. I think I have a lot of this wiring "fixed". It's just a matter of cleaning up the rats nest.
Old 12-02-2021, 08:54 AM   #10

Here’s one for you. Kept getting low voltage error on my fridge. Traced the 12 volt wire from the fridge to fuse panel. Fridge, dash and outside radios and co detectors all on the same fuse. I disconnected the fridge wire and put it to its own fuse. You would think something as important as the fridge would be on its own fuse anyway. Problem solved. Funny thing is also when I pull this 15 amp fuse, none of the slides will work. Trying to figure this one out because down the road it could be an issue.
Attached Thumbnails
726FFF9F-C5E1-45F8-A906-1AC1F21965D5.jpg   8ABFADBD-C79A-4390-B65E-2A35F3B959BF.jpg  
Old 12-02-2021, 09:41 AM   #11

Sounds about right, @Parrott. My setup looks the same. If you follow the wire from that circuit, most likely you'll find a quick connect plug that then branches out to the items being fed from the breaker box. Mine was near the stove in the kitchen and was one of the many circuits than ran under the water pump.

There are many unused low voltage circuits ready for wiring. In the picture below, the non-taped wire nut wires are the back side of the empty circuits in the front.
Attached Thumbnails
Photo-2021-12-02-10-11-49_5566.jpg   Photo-2021-12-02-10-11-57_5567.jpg   Photo-2021-12-02-10-11-46_5565.jpg  
Old 12-02-2021, 11:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobdeep View Post
Sounds about right, @Parrott. My setup looks the same. If you follow the wire from that circuit, most likely you'll find a quick connect plug that then branches out to the items being fed from the breaker box. Mine was near the stove in the kitchen and was one of the many circuits than ran under the water pump.

There are many unused low voltage circuits ready for wiring. In the picture below, the non-taped wire nut wires are the back side of the empty circuits in the front.
It is scary to look at the wiring. I always love seeing the useless sticker on the side of the camper saying they are a member of the RVI and build to a particular safety standard.

I was looking at some new Jaycos online 6 months back. I was shocked to to see the main power distribution panel was located under the kitchen sink. Very scary thought knowing how many of these rigs have leaks.

At least on your fuse panel you do not have fuses in the unused slots. My TT, there was a fuse in every slot even if it was unused. That ment each termal on the backside was hot.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 01:45 PM   #13

You did the wiring as it should have been done in the first place. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 03:07 PM   #14

A fellow IT executive and I were chatting about mergers and acquisitions over a beer. His leading indicator was to walk into their wiring closets. If he saw a mess, he'd work to torpedo the acquisition. Or low-ball the offer.

He was dead serious.

Congrats on the cleanup!
I wish I had the initiative to clean up mine.
Old 12-02-2021, 06:18 PM   #15
CAG

I know that there is the desire to "clean up" the mess that is left with various construction/builds and our OCD wants it to be right but after 76 years of dealing with that in both home life and work, I have come to the point of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" when it does break I will worry about it. I sleep much better at night now.

CAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 07:07 PM   #16

I reworked the flex heat lines from the furnace to the plenum's in mine a few years ago. The back of the furnace gives you the most CFM output vs the side of it. Why in the world would one take one of the back outlets and plumb it to the head of the plenum that starts about 2' away from the furnace and within a foot of the head has a vent for the bathroom?? About 3' done that same plenum is the vent for the front bedroom. The other two outlets on the back of the furnace and the one side outlet went to the other plenum head the feeds the other 3/4 of the trailer going to the rear bunk.
The way they had it plumbed the bathroom was like stepping into a steel foundry and the front bedroom was like a sauna while the main living section was comfortable and the rear bunk was an icebox.
I took the side outlet of the furnace and put it to the front plenum, which helped and took the 3 rear outlets on the furnace and put them to the main plenum. I also had to reseal the plenum head and tape off a couple holes for the "heated underbelly" that came off that same plenum. I tape sealed off the first vent in the main plenum and that made a HUGE difference in heat delivery to the rear bunk.
All that being said, with me replumbing those flex heat lines, I was able to eliminate 6-8' of flex line.
Take that 6-8' of excess line off my trailer, add another say 3' and you have a other trailer built.
With all the excess wire in these things, and excess everything else, imagine how many more trailers they could build and for minimal cost.
Old 12-04-2021, 01:24 PM   #17

The day your trailer was made, Jacob who usually is the main wire guy at the factory was sick, so they got Jane from upolstery to fill in for him. It was her first day doing electrical.
2015 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab, Traded in
Bluegill1
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 11:00 AM   #18

Your wiring job is superb. There is no excuse for factory wiring like that. However, Jayco and their dealers will know immediately that it was redone and may now void any warranty related to the wiring. They'll use any excuse to void the warranty. I simply asked Jayco for the wiring schematics to my trailer and they told me that my inquiry was going into my service record for future warranty validation.

I gave up on my warranty because so many issues needed correcting on my brand new trailer and it was impractical to haul it back to the dealer for each one. I had to fix a lot of the wiring, repair a kinked water line, add an inverter properly rather than using their incorrectly supplied inverter tap, add proper smoke and CO detectors, and a lot more. I also had to resolve the propane regulator issue myself because to this day they have no solution because they can't supply the part. I had no problem finding a replacement regulator myself.

So I applaud your efforts to improve the shoddy wiring on your trailer regardless of the warranty invalidation.
HAL9001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 11:09 AM   #19

Oh, no doubt they will know. It looks ten times better. ;-)

The warranty ship sailed a looong time ago. I’ve already reprogrammed the BMpro/JayCommand device to make available the additional features such as power jacks, second HVAC, etc. Granted they would have to directly tie the change to the failed part, but we had a self-inflicted issue with our fridge and it was going to be 6 months before they could even look at the problem. It was at that point the wife and I decided to start fixing things ourselves.
Old 12-07-2021, 11:31 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
I know that there is the desire to "clean up" the mess that is left with various construction/builds and our OCD wants it to be right but after 76 years of dealing with that in both home life and work, I have come to the point of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" when it does break I will worry about it. I sleep much better at night now.
I'm with you. Only exception is if I see it all of the time, it will drive me nutty.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bmpro, electrical, jaycommand, wiring