Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-09-2011, 08:39 PM   #21

There have been some bicycle thefts in the park we are staying in. I have locked up our two bicycles but have been thinking about a plan.

1. Leave both bicles unlocked in the open next to each other.

2. Take an extension cord and cut off the female end.

3. Attach one wire from the cord to each bike and plug the other end into the power post.:lightning:

4. Wait for the fireworks and catch a thief.

That should about do it. I hate thieves.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:44 PM   #22

Wow clutch. Remind me not to borrow your bicycles....lmao
Old 02-09-2011, 10:51 PM   #23

Ever since I got my Honda EU2000 stolen -- we bring everything inside. I keep the new generator Locked down and even bolted to the back bumper. It would take some doing to get it off. Enough so that if we were asleep, I'd wake up and the bad guy would learn what the business end of a 1911 looks like.

Regards,
JP
2007 20BH Jayco JayFlight
2009 F150 5.4L SCrew Cab XLT
JPBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:05 AM   #24

Good Natured Razz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTXmed View Post
Do we all have Tundras on this thread so far????:hihi:
Yeah, you don't want to hear the ITYS from the DW. Secure it. And those Toyotas have their place in the tow world - In the bed of my F350D as a runabout!
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:10 AM   #25

We recently put a topper on the bed of our Toyota just for that reason. While we camp we can secure things inside the truck bed. We have only had a cooler stolen about 6 yrs ago at a California Beach campground. I had just cleaned it out and put it outside by our door to dry and it was gone within 5 min. Been across country 4 times and never had any other problems with theft.

Mary Anne
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:48 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBeck View Post
Ever since I got my Honda EU2000 stolen -- we bring everything inside. I keep the new generator Locked down and even bolted to the back bumper. It would take some doing to get it off. Enough so that if we were asleep, I'd wake up and the bad guy would learn what the business end of a 1911 looks like.
Hey Joe, that brings up a good point, are you allowed to have "1911's" in a state park as long as you keep it in your TT? what about outside the TT with a permit?
Old 02-10-2011, 09:54 AM   #27

here is what my fuss is all about... I dig this grill.

http://portablekitchen.com/

and as Clutch says, and I'm sure all agree, I hate thieves too...
Old 02-10-2011, 11:37 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duran1 View Post
Hi there folks,

I am fairly new to camping. We usually go to Texas State Parks which I must say are really nicely kept and have never had an issue with theft.
Just bought a new portable grill that is fairly expensive (for me at least). It is light enough to put in the back of my truck but big enough to store it inside my TT at night.

I know folks that go camping are usually the most easy going down to earth folks, but though I'd ask if you think i should worry about my grill getting stolen?
And yes, I know crap could happen no matter where you are at...
I guess i am trying to avoid hearing those nice words from my wife: " I told you so..." :-)
There is an old saying which I believe says " An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure ". Think most of the advice about getting a bike lock might not be a bad idea. However, I really do not know how angry your wife gets. Good Luck
rog4kneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:50 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
there have been some bicycle thefts in the park we are staying in. I have locked up our two bicycles but have been thinking about a plan.

1. Leave both bicles unlocked in the open next to each other.

2. Take an extension cord and cut off the female end.

3. Attach one wire from the cord to each bike and plug the other end into the power post.:lightning:

4. Wait for the fireworks and catch a thief.

That should about do it. I hate thieves.
Love it... What a great mod idea! LOL
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:03 PM   #30

Here's an intersting story... Last year we were at a very nice (pretty expensive too at $60+ per night) local public campground. The couple next to us had a smaller little motorcycle. They left to go for a walk and when they returned, knocked on our door and asked if we saw anyone take off with it. We hadn't. We along with other neighbors helped them look and even went down by the riverbed to see if it was hidden there, but no luck. Never found out if it was pushed away, somehow driven away, or loaded up into a truck. They were out $700. What are the chances that something so "big" could be stolen un-noticed in a busy campground!? Sucks!
Old 02-10-2011, 12:07 PM   #31

Rarely do we leave things outside unsecured (but have done so and been lucky so far). We lock up everything. We use cables/lock for stuff left outside, and store anything else that inside the truck/tt that can come inside.

One time though when Breezi was a puppy, we "hooked" her up outside and I went into the tt for about 5 minutes. I came back out to find her gone from her little rope thingy. I panicked and Don and I started walking different directions. I found a 5 yr old little girl carrying Breezi into her tt about 10 campsites down. The mother didn't even know her daughter had wandered off. The little girl told the mother the owner had given her the pup and (even though Breezi had a collar and tag) the mom said she would have let her keep it had I not showed up! Amazing how many ignorant parents would believe that their children are just "given" items.....
Old 02-10-2011, 10:16 PM   #32

Oh, No, Clutch!

Drifting off subject a bit. Sounds great, Clutch, but we live in a lawsuit world. Just stun a kid, never mind burning him, and if his folks will settle for your TT and TV, you've just hit the legal equivalent of the lottery, IMHO. Of course, if the law hears about it first, well, generally speaking, if the booby trap injures someone, even a burglar, never mind a kid, you can face serious criminal charges. B---- about it if you like, but a law degree gives a lawyer a right to trash our country for 40%. I think it's in the Constitution. As for the 1911, they're okay in federal parks now. I'd ask a ranger if in doubt, but don't settle for a weasel answer like, it's not a good idea. Make them tell you it's illegal. It had four phone calls and conversations with two TSAs and an airport cop at DIA and no one would say CCW was good at DIA, outside security of course. One said it was a federal facility which made it illegal. A Denver cop said whoa, no it ain't. It's Denver property and CCW is good there.
'14 Denali XL
Old 02-11-2011, 07:47 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duran1 View Post
Hey Joe, that brings up a good point, are you allowed to have "1911's" in a state park as long as you keep it in your TT? what about outside the TT with a permit?
It depends-- there is a new law on the books that allows guns in National Parks

The change in federal law basically means that national park visitors must obey the federal, state, and local gun laws appropriate to the parks they are visiting. It's a sharp change to previous laws that severely restricted guns in the national parks, generally requiring them to be locked or stored.

State laws are a little different and vary I'm sure.

I live in California where they do not allow fire arms in the state park unless your hunting. I am willing to take that hit if it means preventing a bad guy from hurting my family. Besides that we camp in a state park maybe once a year. We camp in the national forest or out of state.

Regards,
JP
2007 20BH Jayco JayFlight
2009 F150 5.4L SCrew Cab XLT
JPBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:38 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk+ View Post
Drifting off subject a bit. Sounds great, Clutch, but we live in a lawsuit world. Just stun a kid, never mind burning him, and if his folks will settle for your TT and TV, you've just hit the legal equivalent of the lottery, IMHO. Of course, if the law hears about it first, well, generally speaking, if the booby trap injures someone, even a burglar, never mind a kid, you can face serious criminal charges. B---- about it if you like, but a law degree gives a lawyer a right to trash our country for 40%. I think it's in the Constitution. As for the 1911, they're okay in federal parks now. I'd ask a ranger if in doubt, but don't settle for a weasel answer like, it's not a good idea. Make them tell you it's illegal. It had four phone calls and conversations with two TSAs and an airport cop at DIA and no one would say CCW was good at DIA, outside security of course. One said it was a federal facility which made it illegal. A Denver cop said whoa, no it ain't. It's Denver property and CCW is good there.
Ummmm, I could be wrong, but I thought Clutch was joking. Actually, I'm pretty sure he was. I know for sure I would never set something up like that. But like any ridiculous joke told by any comedian, it was funny. Oooops?
Old 02-12-2011, 11:24 AM   #35

Yeah, could well have been joking. I posted a joke on photo sticky about some guy's great looking bunkhouse sleeping more than two. It was taken seriously. But just in case others took it as a good idea, better safe. And it's a darned good idea anyway. It was well thought out but for one step. You set it up and plug it in at the trailer down the line that kept you awake all weekend partying.
'14 Denali XL
Old 03-19-2011, 09:49 AM   #36

Been camping for 50 yrs & am happy to report that nothing was ever stolen.Of course we've had the feeling that stuff was stolen until we look in the pickup & there it is, just where we put it the night before hahah it's that "old thing"
Old 03-19-2011, 09:39 PM   #37

Smile

Been camping for years nothing missing so far ,I didn't know you could tow anything with a truck that has spark plugs .What a t.o.y.o.t.a. just kiddin! Love my MAX!
Campgroundghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:45 PM   #38

Just remember all future Toyota's will glow in the dark...........
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:47 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1971 View Post
Being a "lawman" for 38 years, a tent camper for 12 years and an RV'er for 3 years, I can tell you that the best policy is to lock it up. I have never had a single problem with theft in a campground but have known it to happen, although very rarely. I sort of feel guilty of appearing to not trust my fellow RV'ers when I lock certain belongings up but unfortunately even the most honest folks may be tempted in a weak moment. Do yourself and an opportunist a favor and lock it up.
I too am retired law enforcement, and I use cables to lock my generator when I am in any government campground. When I retired I also bought my service revolver (that ages me) and my handcuffs. I use my handcuffs to secure my mountain bike to my 5th wheel when I am gone or at night. It makes a good conversation piece when spotted.
Albertaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:03 AM   #40

Locking things up definately keeps the "honest" people honest. If someone really wants your stuff it will be gone. Bicycles, generators, propane tanks, and gas cans seem to be popular items for thieves. If you haven't been a victim yet you just haven't been around the right people (low lifes) yet. Your turn will come.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote