Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-08-2011, 05:11 PM   #1

Theft Issue?

Hi there folks,

I am fairly new to camping. We usually go to Texas State Parks which I must say are really nicely kept and have never had an issue with theft.
Just bought a new portable grill that is fairly expensive (for me at least). It is light enough to put in the back of my truck but big enough to store it inside my TT at night.

I know folks that go camping are usually the most easy going down to earth folks, but though I'd ask if you think i should worry about my grill getting stolen?
And yes, I know crap could happen no matter where you are at...
I guess i am trying to avoid hearing those nice words from my wife: " I told you so..." :-)
Old 02-08-2011, 05:35 PM   #2

Can you use a bicycle cable to somehow lock/secure it to the picnic table at night and when you're away from your site? That way you won't have to stow it in your truck or camper at night.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:34 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to WestTXmed
Go to Walmart and buy a cable lock. I got mine there for my 2 Yamaha generators and I cable lock them to the TT bumper. I paid $20 for each one and they are blue and six feet long. It will keep prying eyes "honest" and determined thieves just a little bit delayed.

I stay at TX state parks all the time. TX has an amazing park system.

My top 3:

Palo Duro (the canyon)
Pedernales (the river)
Davis Mountains (the mountains)

JMHO.....

"Here fishy, fishy, fishy......" - Me

"Never take a laxative and an Ambien in the same night." - Dr. Dad

2009 Eagle Superlight 303RKS, Hensley Arrow, 4 sets of Bal stabilizers to make the wife happy, and 2 Yamaha EF2000is inverter generators. Towed by a 2013 Toyota Tundra 4x4 CrewMax 5.7L.
WestTXmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:36 PM   #4

Do we all have Tundras on this thread so far????:hihi:

2009 Eagle Superlight 303RKS, Hensley Arrow, 4 sets of Bal stabilizers to make the wife happy, and 2 Yamaha EF2000is inverter generators. Towed by a 2013 Toyota Tundra 4x4 CrewMax 5.7L.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:32 PM   #5

We have stayed at so many Texas State Parks I would have to check the log to count 'em up. We have left bikes and lanterns and things like that out for entire trips and fortunately we never had anything stolen.

WestTXmed, I wish I could afford another Toyota. The one I had before my daughter wrecked it was the best vehicle I had ever owned...but today I only have enough money for a Ford.
10,000# Equal-i-zer Hitch
The Pennys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:52 PM   #6

We have camped all over the country, including several Texas state parks. We always leave stuff out at night and on day trips. Since 1979 we have had exactly one cooler stolen in in the 1980's in Maryland while we were still in a pop-up.

Yes, it could happen again tonight but in general, RV people are great honest people. You run into a few jerk heads, especially around lakes in the summer, but that group is really not true RV people.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:40 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTXmed View Post
Do we all have Tundras on this thread so far????:hihi:
Naw... Some of us own real trucks that don't have sparkplugs!

I keep about a 8' length of light chain and a padlock for locking our folding bikes (and any other outside items). Its purpose is mearly to "keep the honest people, honest". If somebody wants something bad enough, they're going to take it no matter what you lock it up with.

And, while on the subject of security, take a look at the key for your outside storage compartments. Does it have the numbers 751 stamped on it? Yes? Did you know that this key/lock has been used by many RV manufacturers for years. The keying is all the same so anyone who has a 751 key can open anyone elses' outside compartments that uses a 751 key. I'll bet there a few of you out there that aren't even going to read this sentence because they've already opened up another browser window and getting on the Camping World (or some similar website) to purchase new outside compartment locksets.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:10 AM   #8

I have a small table top Holland stainless steel gas grill that we leave out all the time. I have camped for over 40 years and have never had the first thing turn up missing and we leave a lot outside. Hope I haven't jinxed myself!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:03 AM   #9

Just lock it and enjoy the camping trip.

No Toyota here.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:36 AM   #10

Even out here in Idaho... I've always locked up everything or put it inside if we left camp to go hiking or otherwise.

I've also got a REAL truck without spark plugs...
Mopar1973Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:21 AM   #11

Spark Plugs? I think I have one in my generator.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:58 AM   #12

Theft (or risk of it) is a regional thing. Luckily, we camp in a seasonal site that is also a gated community. Anyone too loud or doesn't fit the "average family" attitude are also asked to leave. Thus, keeping majority of "those folks" outside the gate...

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:27 PM   #13

Being a "lawman" for 38 years, a tent camper for 12 years and an RV'er for 3 years, I can tell you that the best policy is to lock it up. I have never had a single problem with theft in a campground but have known it to happen, although very rarely. I sort of feel guilty of appearing to not trust my fellow RV'ers when I lock certain belongings up but unfortunately even the most honest folks may be tempted in a weak moment. Do yourself and an opportunist a favor and lock it up.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:41 PM   #14

I have never had anything stolen, but I think it is prudent to lock up anything valuable that can easily walk off. I have a moderately expensive bike that could easily be gone in a flash. I think if you have the appearance of being secure and someone thinks it will take them a few minutes to take the item they are going to walk by. I know if I saw someone who didnt appear to belong in a neighbors camp site and there were no cars I would have my eye on them.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:30 PM   #15

Hi folks and thanks for everyone's input. I would lock it up but all the parts of this grill are detachable. Locking it would not deter anyone from trying (if they want to try).
I couldnt care less if i lost anything else but this grill.
It is the old style heavy duty all aluminum grill they used to make years ago. They now started making those again and i couldn't wait to get my hands on one.
It is supposed to be one of the best charcoal grills out there (i'm sure this is a matter of opinion)

I hate to stink up the TT at night but like most of you mentioned, best to keep it locked up then regret it later.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:38 PM   #16

Hi folks and thanks for everyone's input. I would lock it up but all the parts of this grill are detachable. Locking it would not deter anyone from trying (if they want to try).
I couldnt care less if i lost anything else but this grill.
It is the old style heavy duty all aluminum grill they used to make years ago. They now started making those again and i couldn't wait to get my hands on one.
It is supposed to be one of the best charcoal grills out there (i'm sure this is a matter of opinion)

I hate to stink up the TT at night but like most of you mentioned, best to keep it locked up then regret it later.

WestTXMed, Pedernales has been my fave TX park to date. About to go camp at Ink's lake, heard that is nice as well.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:23 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPM III View Post
Naw... Some of us own real trucks that don't have sparkplugs!

I keep about a 8' length of light chain and a padlock for locking our folding bikes (and any other outside items). Its purpose is mearly to "keep the honest people, honest". If somebody wants something bad enough, they're going to take it no matter what you lock it up with.

And, while on the subject of security, take a look at the key for your outside storage compartments. Does it have the numbers 751 stamped on it? Yes? Did you know that this key/lock has been used by many RV manufacturers for years. The keying is all the same so anyone who has a 751 key can open anyone elses' outside compartments that uses a 751 key. I'll bet there a few of you out there that aren't even going to read this sentence because they've already opened up another browser window and getting on the Camping World (or some similar website) to purchase new outside compartment locksets.

AHH, yes the dreaded #751 key. One size fits all. And in many trailers like mine, if you can get into the storage compartment then you`re in the trailer. You just have to push up the bed from the inside. I broke a key off in the lock in the front pass through storage and crawled in from the other side and unscrewed the lock to get it out. But I haven`t changed out the locks yet.

-Lee
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:39 PM   #18

Is there a way you can install a U bolt on the side of the grill so you can put a lock through it? It doesn't have to be some huge setup, as noted your just trying to make it alot less appealing to someone walking by. I can understand not wanting it inside, with the smells and the fire hazard, so I bet with a little creativity you can come up with something. Happy camping!
rescuebub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:48 PM   #19

Quote:
AHH, yes the dreaded #751 key. One size fits all. And in many trailers like mine, if you can get into the storage compartment then you`re in the trailer. You just have to push up the bed from the inside. I broke a key off in the lock in the front pass through storage and crawled in from the other side and unscrewed the lock to get it out. But I haven`t changed out the locks yet.
I keep forgetting about this! I got locked out of mine once because I simply lost the key. I walked over to my neighbor camping next to me and asked him for his key, opened the compartment door, and gave it back to him.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:48 PM   #20

REF the 751 key I found out that it also works on my truck topper. I got the truck used with a topper already installed and it didnt have any keys for the topper so I tried the compartment key and was able to lock and unlock it sound like they use that key for a lot of locks
T-Cossart1 is offline   Reply With Quote