Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-04-2014, 10:57 AM   #1

There is no way!!!!!!

Last Saturday we picked up our new 2015 24FBS. Found a minor issue with the slide that is going to be addressed on Monday. Last night we decided to go to the local campground for a shakedown. I found one thing after another wrong. We got this camper with the ELITE option. First we filled up the water tanks and when they were about 3/4 full, water started pouring on the ground on the door side of the camper.... No, I wasn't filling the inside of the camper, I thought it was though. What looks like a 1/2" crossover tube between tanks, the 90deg barb elbow was broken. When we did our inspection the tanks were only full enough to test the water pump and water heater and for me to check for leaks.

We then backed into our site. Went to use the power jack to unhook, the button was sticking and it wouldn't stop. I went through 4-30amp fuses before correcting the problem. The jack worked just fine during my inspection.

The DW was setting up the television, she raised the antenna and it wouldn't rotate. I didn't check this during the inspection. My fault. I climbed up to look and didn't find any Dicor sealant on the rotation plate. I am going to lube it today.

Lastly, maybe someone here could elaborate, when we put the slide out, one side seem to bind up but it eventually extended but not after it jerked out on that side pretty good. Has anybody had this happen to their slide? Hopefully the dealer will be able to correct it. Nothing seems to be visibly scraping on any of the sides.

So in my opinion there is no way the dealer did a "proper" PDI on this trailer. If they did, they would have found the issue with the water tank fitting and the antenna. My inspection took almost 3 hrs to complete, I just couldn't catch everything.

I will have words with the service manager on Monday. I am also going to seek reimbursement from Jayco for the parts and my time. It's a long shot but I'm going to really complain hard...and loud.

Found another item. The water pump was excessively loud. I knew air was getting in the pickup tube from the tank. I removed the panel hiding the water pump. What did I find? The hose clamp was missing from the hose on the valve into the pump. Thankfully I have spares. New clamp and no air.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:18 AM   #2

And you paid good money for an "Elite"......

Looks like QC wasn't so elite!!

Hope you get satisfaction!
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 12:07 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping Couple View Post

Lastly, maybe someone here could elaborate, when we put the slide out, one side seem to bind up but it eventually extended but not after it jerked out on that side pretty good. Has anybody had this happen to their slide? Hopefully the dealer will be able to correct it. Nothing seems to be visibly scraping on any of the sides.

We have had that same problem on our slides and found bolts loose or broken where the slide arms connect to the motor/gearbox. A visual inspection underneath thru the access panel will tell if that is the same.
IMO, you should have been there for the PDI. No excuse for any of that.

Good luck on getting any reimbursement for your trouble.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 02:11 PM   #4

Being that you live in KZoo, I'm curious as to what dealer you used?
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 02:14 PM   #5

I don't know has happened to Jayco quality. When I bought my 2012 29RLDS I had nothing but trouble with it. Seems every time I took it out something went wrong. Glad it had a 2 year warranty because I used it. I had a leak from the shower door, a screw sticking up from underneath in the kitchen area, warped pantry door, uneven slide in the bedroom, city water hook up filling the on board water tank, wood trim on the slide falling apart, and also coming off, windows that won't open, carpet trim coming apart, drawer on the bottom of the couch will not stay closed, and I can't believable that there is no way to keep the stopper in the bathroom sink partly open.
And that is just a few of the problems. I think my next trailer WILL NOT be a Jayco.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 02:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPCamper View Post
Being that you live in KZoo, I'm curious as to what dealer you used?
If your familiar with this area....not sure where in Michigan you are, without naming the dealer, it was the one between Wayland and Kalamazoo. If your still uncertain PM me and I'll tell you. Maybe you have dealt with them before. This is our 3rd TT from them. We have never had any problems with any of them until this one. After this post I basically did another inspection of this TT at the CG. Nothing out of the ordinary other than what I already found. I have spent probably 4 hrs reinspecting and correcting problems. Shame on me for not catching it last Saturday. But shame on them for not doing the PDI right in the first time.

Old 10-04-2014, 02:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe in calif View Post
I don't know has happened to Jayco quality. When I bought my 2012 29RLDS I had nothing but trouble with it. Seems every time I took it out something went wrong. Glad it had a 2 year warranty because I used it. I had a leak from the shower door, a screw sticking up from underneath in the kitchen area, warped pantry door, uneven slide in the bedroom, city water hook up filling the on board water tank, wood trim on the slide falling apart, and also coming off, windows that won't open, carpet trim coming apart, drawer on the bottom of the couch will not stay closed, and I can't believable that there is no way to keep the stopper in the bathroom sink partly open.
And that is just a few of the problems. I think my next trailer WILL NOT be a Jayco.

Hi Joe, that picture of your slide is exactly what ours is doing on the top front corner. What did they do to correct it?

Old 10-04-2014, 05:06 PM   #8

Quote:
If your familiar with this area....not sure where in Michigan you are, without naming the dealer, it was the one between Wayland and Kalamazoo. If your still uncertain PM me and I'll tell you. Maybe you have dealt with them before. This is our 3rd TT from them. We have never had any problems with any of them until this one. After this post I basically did another inspection of this TT at the CG. Nothing out of the ordinary other than what I already found. I have spent probably 4 hrs reinspecting and correcting problems. Shame on me for not catching it last Saturday. But shame on them for not doing the PDI right in the first time.
That's not the one I was thinking then. I don't know which you went to but we bought ours through Terrytown. I'll go ahead and mention them, because I still haven't had a good experience with them. Our current trailer we got from them against my better judgement but its a long story as to why. Seems like there style of PDI.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Camping Couple - sorry to see that you are having so much trouble with your new rig. Your dealer really dropped the ball and l bet never checked much until your PDI with them. Our 24FBS has been a joy and lots of fun. Hope your get your issues addressed and have no more problems. Might want to drop Jayco a line about that dealer not doing the job as it reflects on their reputation.
Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 02:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe in calif View Post
Did you buy new from Richardson's?
Dual 6V Deep Cycle Interstate Batteries
giddyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 03:49 AM   #11

Sorry to hear about your troubles! I know where you bought the trailer We stopped there a year before we bought our trailer in 2011, left our name and number as they promised to call us when they got a 23B in stock. They stated that they sold several per year and would get one in soon...they still haven't called and we bought a used '06 off Craigslist.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:34 AM   #12

Sorry that you are having problems with your travel trailer, and hope you get them resolved quickly. We've had ours since June, and out of the gate we only had cosmetic problems until one night of camping, our inverter got fried. Got that taken care of, and we've really enjoyed our trailer.
Poppy
Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:26 AM   #13

Camping couple. Sorry you are having problems.
1-Do "NOT" go in to the dealer yelling/screaming!!! Trust me this will get you nowhere. It will make them think that you are trouble, and they will blow you off.
-Go in level headed, explain your issues. They will service your unit much better if you are easy to deal with. ("I know this-it happens daily at dealers")

2-Yes you are right. The unit did not receive a proper PDI. We always "overfill" the tanks. That would have found that problem. The slide "may or may not" have clanged and banged during PDI. Several things can cause that. Things like --how hard the jacks are pushing on the ground. (Thats #1 cause. Is one jack pushing more than the others? If so, it can cause the frame to "bind"). Another reason could be loose or mis-adjusted guides/rails.

3-Anyway, just go in with a proper attitude with the service writer. Then ask him/her if you can have these repairs demonstrated at time of pick up (after repairs). If you have no plans to use it now, tell them to take the time they need to repair it correctly. If you do plan to camp, then ask them if you can use it that time. Even if you have to bring it back for them to finish repairs.

I assure you, if you talk to them with some respect, they will repair the unit with some respect.
TIM
qwed94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:13 PM   #14

**UPDATE**

Went to the dealer on Monday and vented my frustrations. As for the water tank issue, they admitted not filling the tank fully during the PDI. Said they have never had a problem like that with a broken fitting, so they usually don't fill all them fully during the inspections. They will start now.

The slide was adjusted to my satifaction. It still looks like it is to far out from the side wall but after really looking at it close up and from different angles, it's fine. The gasket is collapsed which tells me it is making good contact with the sealing surface.

As for the remaining issues, I corrected them myself and the dealer agreed to reimburse me for my time correcting the issues. I am very satisfied with my "side income" lol. I got reimbursed 4 hrs x their shop labor rate. I cannot complain about that!! They made it right.

My power jack button is on order. The aluminum rims I ordered will be here next week. I'm not pushing any further on the rims. Jayco screwed the order up, they will get a letter from me.

We are going on our second shakedown trip locally this weekend and probably our last trip before I winterize it. I am now confident all my issues are behind us. If not I sure know how to fix them.

Lastly, the Elite package has 2-45 gallon fresh water tanks, it takes awhile to fill up at the dump station. Thats ALOT of water!

Old 10-08-2014, 07:17 PM   #15

It might be a lot if water and a long time to fill but it is awesome to have and I love my 90 gallons of water!

Glad they got everything resolved and it is working out! So far I have nothing but good things to say about my warranty issues as my dealer didn't even blink an eye and just said don't worry about it it will get made right.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:11 PM   #16

Glad to hear it!
Old 10-08-2014, 08:46 PM   #17

Hey Joe, Sorry to hear of your troubles. As for my 2 cents, I have a 2011 x23j. Love the trailer, bought it used and have not had any troubles as of yet with the exception of the bathroom sink plug. Ours is the exact same. Not way to keep it partially open without pulling it out all together. I guessing faulty design.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:32 AM   #18

Quote:
**UPDATE**

Went to the dealer on Monday and vented my frustrations. As for the water tank issue, they admitted not filling the tank fully during the PDI. Said they have never had a problem like that with a broken fitting, so they usually don't fill all them fully during the inspections. They will start now.

The slide was adjusted to my satifaction. It still looks like it is to far out from the side wall but after really looking at it close up and from different angles, it's fine. The gasket is collapsed which tells me it is making good contact with the sealing surface.

As for the remaining issues, I corrected them myself and the dealer agreed to reimburse me for my time correcting the issues. I am very satisfied with my "side income" lol. I got reimbursed 4 hrs x their shop labor rate. I cannot complain about that!! They made it right.

My power jack button is on order. The aluminum rims I ordered will be here next week. I'm not pushing any further on the rims. Jayco screwed the order up, they will get a letter from me.

We are going on our second shakedown trip locally this weekend and probably our last trip before I winterize it. I am now confident all my issues are behind us. If not I sure know how to fix them.

Lastly, the Elite package has 2-45 gallon fresh water tanks, it takes awhile to fill up at the dump station. Thats ALOT of water!
Sounds like you have done a "quality" job getting that stuff taken care of . Glad to hear theres still another outing for you this season. Unfortunitly, we are done for the season. We spent last weekend up at Ludington state park (weather was miserable) but, who would have known when we made the reservations it would be so cold, windy and wet. Now to get the home renovations done before the baby comes in a few weeks...

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 12:08 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshvegasmike View Post
Hey Joe, Sorry to hear of your troubles. As for my 2 cents, I have a 2011 x23j. Love the trailer, bought it used and have not had any troubles as of yet with the exception of the bathroom sink plug. Ours is the exact same. Not way to keep it partially open without pulling it out all together. I guessing faulty design.
It's not designed to remain open a little, it is designed to be a simple plug so you can fill the basin. But there is a VERY simple fix:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...highlight=mods

The first pic in my post, it's a simple garden hose gasket. It's round, so you can just roll it up onto the plug and it leaves just enough space that it acts just like your one at home. I got it as part of a garden hose gasket accessory kit from Home Depot. It included the flat ones that I use on my hoses and these round ones that I didn't use (until now!).

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 03:01 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowtoy View Post
Sounds like you have done a "quality" job getting that stuff taken care of . Glad to hear theres still another outing for you this season. Unfortunitly, we are done for the season. We spent last weekend up at Ludington state park (weather was miserable) but, who would have known when we made the reservations it would be so cold, windy and wet. Now to get the home renovations done before the baby comes in a few weeks...
This time of year is the best for camping if you can be lucky enough to have good weather. But when you make reservations it sure is a gamble. I remember three or so years ago when we camped in Oct. It was almost 80 and sunny all week.

We leave for Burt Lake next week and hoping for the best.