Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-11-2019, 04:24 PM   #1

Thermal Package

We just picked up a Jayflight 287BHS the other week. We live in WY and the temperatures here can fluctuate drastically. On our first trip we encountered rain and snow in June, the temps dropped down into the 30's in the evening.

Our camper has the thermal package, and my question is what does that include? I have read mixed information on what all is included in thermal packages. I know for a fact we have an enclosed underbelly, but I am curious if Jayco runs heat ducts around the tanks as well to keep the tanks and pipes from freezing in colder weather.

Thanks,
nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 04:46 PM   #2

Don't believe they are run AROUND the tanks. Just being in the same compartment is sufficient down into the teens or so for a day or two...
Neo1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 04:49 PM   #3

Fair enough, thanks for the quick response!
Old 06-11-2019, 05:16 PM   #4

Just wanted to share a little story too... We sold our house which meant we had to live in our 174BH on my parents property for a couple of months while we found our new dream home... It was of course during the dead of winter, no snow just really cold. Some of the worst cold I've seen in Western Washington in a while... Didn't have the heater on but only when we were "home" which was 5PM to 5AM. All pipes held up great, gray and black tanks were still liquid after two weeks in the teens. Went to try and empty the black tank and it was FROZEN at the valve. I could open and close the valve but if you looked inside, it was solid (no pun intended.)

INSIDE the tank was still good... Just where the valve was exposed to the cold, was frozen. About an hour with 3 heat guns got it to flow again. I didn't want to crank the heat up too much in fear of melting something...

But yeah, everything that was enclosed didn't freeze even with a week or so of teens temps and the heater only running when we were in it. We don't even have heating ducts in the floors in the 174BH.

Have since upgraded to a 26BH which is the same, no floor ducts and has the enclosed belly. Stays comfy down to 30 or so. Haven't tried it out in anything colder. Yet...
Neo1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:29 PM   #5

This is from the Jayco 2016 brochure: Thermal Package: insulated, heated (n/a on 26BH) and enclosed underbelly, 2-sided reflective foil insulation in main roof and slideout floors.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:26 PM   #6

I saw the brochure description, I just wasn't sure how cold the heated underbelly could endure

I read on another site in order too keep the black/grey valves from freezing to pour enough antifreeze down them to cover the bottom portion of the pipe that is beneath the shrouding.

I did a lot of winter camping in my younger years (tents and snow caves), now that I am older (and not as broke) I would still like to go winter camping, but in comfort!

I sure don't plan on being out there when it is -40F, but if it gets to 0F I am hoping that I don't run into any issues.

Thanks again for all of the insight.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1130 View Post
Just wanted to share a little story too... We sold our house which meant we had to live in our 174BH on my parents property for a couple of months while we found our new dream home... It was of course during the dead of winter, no snow just really cold. Some of the worst cold I've seen in Western Washington in a while... Didn't have the heater on but only when we were "home" which was 5PM to 5AM. All pipes held up great, gray and black tanks were still liquid after two weeks in the teens. Went to try and empty the black tank and it was FROZEN at the valve. I could open and close the valve but if you looked inside, it was solid (no pun intended.)

INSIDE the tank was still good... Just where the valve was exposed to the cold, was frozen. About an hour with 3 heat guns got it to flow again. I didn't want to crank the heat up too much in fear of melting something...

But yeah, everything that was enclosed didn't freeze even with a week or so of teens temps and the heater only running when we were in it. We don't even have heating ducts in the floors in the 174BH.

Have since upgraded to a 26BH which is the same, no floor ducts and has the enclosed belly. Stays comfy down to 30 or so. Haven't tried it out in anything colder. Yet...

Thank you for sharing this. We have a 2918 26bh. We left a park early this winter because we weren’t sure if we were risking pipes.
Good to know that running the heater should suffice if we find ourselves in unexpected cold weather.

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALCOFLLANMTXsm.jpg
Octopus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote