Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-08-2021, 07:04 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitman44 View Post
Hmm, we just bought a new camper this summer and I’ve taken the tanks to 2 different suppliers, Agway and Tractor Supply, and both of them have over filled the tanks. I wonder if the valves or other internal components might be the cause. In each case I had them stop filling. I know in the past the older tanks took pretty close to 7.2 gallons. The first time it happened at Tractor Supply they got over 8 gallons when I had them stop.
You might want to contact your county weights and measures if the pump was still running and showing 8 gallons. We sell propane at my store and the newer tanks with the triangle shaped shut off valve handle are equipped with an over fill prevention device (OPD) You can't over fill them unless the tank itself is defective. The person servicing the tank should have known that and stopped it themselves before you said anything. A newer 30 lb tank should only take 7 gallons of propane when filled from completely empty.
2021 Keystone Cougar 27SABWE
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 08:55 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecksdude View Post
Thanks all. I'll have to check around. Looks like they are ~$100 each at amazon.

Chaining them up will probably stop most casual thieves, I would think. Moving to 20lb tanks isn't really a bad idea for me. I don't normally go on trips in the winter, and rarely more than a couple of weeks. 60 gallons is way overkill for my usage.
75 dollars at Menards and when they have 11 percent off you'll save even more
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 11:49 PM   #43

Like Millertyme, I use a similar system to lock down the handle so it cant be unscrewed. I drilled a hole into the handle & crossbar and drop in the hitch pin that I got from Lowes:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/bROK-Lock-Coupler-Adj-Golf-Tee/1002433820
Gusto_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 06:50 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusto_man View Post
Like Millertyme, I use a similar system to lock down the handle so it cant be unscrewed. I drilled a hole into the handle & crossbar and drop in the hitch pin that I got from Lowes:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/bROK-Lock-C...Tee/1002433820
When I was working Construction we had pieces of what was called black iron, thick metal in the shape of a wide U something like the propane bottle hold down. We would take a pair of bull nose snips and cut through the heavy metal like it was nothing. Someone could cut those arms in a matter of seconds. I used a motorcycle lock that went around the frame and bottles because they would steal them in the winter. I feel a lock that's too big to be cut with bolt cutters is better but now they have battery powered cut off wheels so nothing is completely safe.
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 07:41 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by klook View Post
The special chain and lock?

Where do you find that and what is the cost?
Westech Rigging Supply is an excellent source for Pewag chain and Abus locks. They sell many different security chains and locks as bundled packages.

A 1/2" Pewag chain and an Abus Granit 37/70 lock will stop all but the most determined thieves. Even professional thieves will probably look elsewhere before risking the time and exposure of trying to grind through them.

The downside is the cost and weight, but true security is not cheap. There is no quick/easy way to defeat this, the thief will need to be very determined and have the right equipment to get through. This will require a lot of time and noise which most thieves would obviously rather not risk. No such security is thief-proof but this is as good as it gets. Other methods are much more easily defeated.

I have two of these chains and locks securing my expensive e-bike to my trailer. Few thieves are going to want to grind through two chains.
HAL9001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 04:04 PM   #46

General theft is ramp it in my area, Was talking to the local battery place and every 2-4 weeks they have a break in on Sunday usually like clock work for the past year + a handful of batteries are stolen and any heavy equipment near by are also broken into and batteries stolen, in fact a customer walked in and needed 8 batteries they parked along the road nearby and every piece of equipment lost a battery.

LP, batteries, tools it's all free for the taking around here and our police wont even chase people anymore down the road. If they don't see it in person and have probable cause their hands are tied. There isn't much they can do by law.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 10:07 AM   #47

30#ers at CW $103.00 for members GS ,CW
corv65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 06:16 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSchmidt View Post
Buy local. Support local.
Where do they get it from? I’d much rather cut out the middle man and save a few bucks here and there.

It’ll be different if they made it locally.
ericloz is offline   Reply With Quote