Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-03-2021, 02:36 PM   #21
Site Team

I am at the point now where many of my 20 and 30# tanks are due to be re-certified. Around here it costs $12-13 buck to re-cert for 5 more years, rather than purchase a new tank. Often I just swap it out for a refill at Walmart for $15 bucks, then re-fill it at my propane supplier.

The 30# tanks are getting expensive.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 06:36 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I am at the point now where many of my 20 and 30# tanks are due to be re-certified. Around here it costs $12-13 buck to re-cert for 5 more years, rather than purchase a new tank. Often I just swap it out for a refill at Walmart for $15 bucks, then re-fill it at my propane supplier.

*The 30# tanks are getting expensive.

I know what you mean. I just bought 2 - 30 lb tanks filled and it cost $300.00

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 08:58 PM   #23

The special chain and lock?

Where do you find that and what is the cost?
Old 12-04-2021, 10:21 PM   #24

I chain mine up as the initial deterrent. I drilled a hole in the collar of each tank, put a eye bolt with locknut on it then put this lock on the eyelet…you want it to easily flop around. The lock is ONLY LOCKED to the eyelet.
If the lock is disturbed the alarm sounds and draws A LOT of attention.

Crystal Vision Anti-Theft Loud 130db Alarm Lock Weather Proof Heavy Duty Multi Purpose (10mm)
by Crystal Vision Technology
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MR1Q97V...A40N83RAVFMF39
Old 12-08-2021, 12:58 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millertyme76 View Post
This is a fairly cheap deterrent that I use. I don't believe it will stop someone really determined but it keeps me from being easy prey.
That's exactly what I did. Drill hole, insert lock. Only difference I put the keyhole facing up. Easier for me to get to.
D
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 01:05 PM   #26

Best prices are at Costco.
Fumes21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 01:11 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJR View Post
I had an issue with the tank valve in my 30lb tank which came new with the RV in 2021. I took the thank to a local LP gas company and they explained to me that allot of the valves that come in 30lb tanks are low quality Chinese made and seem to have more problems. I purchase a new 30lb tank from my local LP Gas provider with a higher quality valve for about the same price as the farm and fleet stores and replaced the problematic valve with a better one, also done by the local LP Gas provider. Just and FYI I had no idea there were different levels of quality in LP tank valves....live and learn.
Hmm, we just bought a new camper this summer and I’ve taken the tanks to 2 different suppliers, Agway and Tractor Supply, and both of them have over filled the tanks. I wonder if the valves or other internal components might be the cause. In each case I had them stop filling. I know in the past the older tanks took pretty close to 7.2 gallons. The first time it happened at Tractor Supply they got over 8 gallons when I had them stop.
pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 01:12 PM   #28

Might want to lock the Tanks and Battery in the coach when in Storage. Might want to check with your Insurance CO on replacements. You probably need new hoses also, seems we replace ours every 2 years or so.
Noblewk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 01:13 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
Use 1/2" Pewag chain and a ABUS Granit padlock. Can't be cut with bolt cutters. You HAVE to use a angle grinder and it takes about a half hour to 45 minutes to get through. Not to mention, you need electric. Battery grinders won't do it. Highly deterrent.

They might not be able to cut your lock and chain, but even a battery grinder will sail through the stamped metal wing nut, or the stabilizing u-channel, or the all-thread rod to which they are attached.

They don't have to attack the locking system, just the things around it.
castolon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 01:16 PM   #30

sadly a chain and lock are worthless... with today's tools, it takes literally seconds to cut and run... and any amateur thief has them... catalytic converts suffer the same fate...

store your tanks/battery etc.. at HOME... yes PITA but you will at least have them ....
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 01:28 PM   #31

We have two 40# tanks on our 5th wheel and I have double locks, a pad lock on the strap and a Master Python cable lock through each as additional protection and I store mine in my RV garage! We have ours locked more for when the RV is left along for a while when boon docking. If they really want it they will get it but I want to at least have to work for them a bit.
Old 12-08-2021, 01:55 PM   #32

Quote:
This is a fairly cheap deterrent that I use. I don't believe it will stop someone really determined but it keeps me from being easy prey.

Yup saw this way of securing the tanks years ago and do the same. Just have to drill a hole and buy a lock.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 02:35 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecksdude View Post
I guess I learned this lesson the hard way, left my FULL propane tanks on the RV while it was sitting in storage. Went to check on it today and they are gone. Poof.

Anyway... I'm trying to find the right tanks to replace them with, someone have a tip?

Trailer is a 2016 Eagle 284BHBE. I think they were 30 gallon tanks? Honestly not sure.
You would think you would be secure there...last year someone broke into trailer and stole weight distribution bars.
alwalk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 03:07 PM   #34

Has worked well so far.

Quote:
X2
Sbrinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 03:13 PM   #35

Propane tanks

Same happened to me while RV was at Dealers lot. I made sure to replace them with tanks that have accurate fuel level gauges. Much more accurate than the standard pressure gauge. Can’t remember the brand. Found them online, and delivered to my home for less than I found locally.
Sandman92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 03:52 PM   #36

If you can pick it up (anything) an move it around while the trailer is in storage “CHAIN IT TO THE A FRAME”.
IrishSettler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 04:21 PM   #37

I also lock my tanks. I have a padlock that goes through a hole in the large wingnut and through the mount on top, and also a cable that connects the 2 tanks. Not impossible to steal but makes it much more difficult and time consuming. We only boondock so it makes me feel better anyway!
JimHanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 04:22 PM   #38

Everyone keep them locked druggies use propane for their drug manufacturing and also don't use exchange tanks as same people use tanks to transport anhydrous ammonia. A big heads up for all
rimrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 04:40 PM   #39

Getting Heavier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I removed my 30 lb'ers years ago because I was having trouble lifting them. I replaced them in the same hole of my 5er with 20 lb'ers. They work just as well, weigh less and I use the bigger ones around the house for my fire pit and gas grill.
I know what you mean, those suckers get heavier every year. I really appreciate it when someone at the campground will come and get them and bring them back. Haven't been able to talk the DW into lifting them for me, she kind of gets an attitude when asked.
Old 12-08-2021, 05:41 PM   #40

Buy local. Support local.
DSchmidt is offline   Reply With Quote