Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-15-2018, 12:05 AM   #1

Things I learned during my first winterizing...

Really just venting and it was comical. But keep in mind it was my first time, dark, a Tuesday work night, cold and my GF (Girl Friend) was already in a foul mood after work. Went to our small 2017 Jayfeather TT stored under canopy to blow out lines and put antifreeze in lines.

1. Apparently you have to have the hot water heater drain valve in to create a closed loop to blow out plumbing lines. I had read so much about leaving the plug out in winter, I took it out a week before and forgot to put back in. Took a couple of minutes to figure out.
2. If you have a crappy WM air compressor, the regulator valve can go from 30 PSI to 0 PSI with no physical contact. Took me another 20 minutes (I didn't have my tools) to change air ends I thought were defective, and figure out the regulator valve was at 0, and that's why I had no air.
3. The manual is crap. I have three bypass valves. The manual speaks of valves A-E. I figured out valves A-B (water heater bypass), but apparently I have valves A/B/E, and not A/B/C. Or really still not sure. Another 5 minutes wasted wondering why pump wasn't pumping antifreeze and worrying about pump running dry.
4. Took us about 1.5 hrs. Did I mention it was dark and my first time.

Should go better next time. Temp inside TT was 30 F at lunch. 25 F tonight. So it all worked out.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:44 AM   #2

Never heard of having the HW tank drain plug in when you blow out the lines to make a loop?. I remove my drain plug, put my HW tank in by-pass and then blow out my lines with 30 psi air through the garden hose fitting. All of my RV's have been like this. interesting
Old 11-15-2018, 05:41 AM   #3

It you are properly bypassing the water heater is should not matter if the plug is in or not.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:50 AM   #4

I think I had the 3rd valve set wrong. I know I turned the water valves off (A-B). The valves were perpendicular to the piping.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:56 AM   #5

Used my compressor one year.... Let it blow to long and the reeds that open and close got hot, expanded, and would not build pressure above 35psi. The next week I took it to a repair guy and 9it pumped up to 120psi. ??? The repair guy explained it all to me. it just took overnight for the reeds to cool and compress to seal.. Morale of the story is not to let the compressor run constantly. Even in the dark I say….

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:00 AM   #6

I left my low point drains open under my bathroom sink (2011 19rd) on accident, went through a gallon of antifreeze real quick. [emoji16]
tennistime99 is offline   Reply With Quote