Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-10-2014, 07:01 PM   #1

Thinking about a WhiteHawk 27DSRL

We're looking seriously at a 2015 WhiteHawk 27DSRL and have a few questions for anyone that has this model:

1. Can you access the refrigerator and bathroom with the slide in?
2. Is there enough room to bring the slide in without moving the chairs at the end?
3. The one we're looking at has electric stabilizers; I'd rather have manual ones; has anyone had problems with the electric?
4. How sturdy is the bumper; can you add a bike rack?
5. Overall, has the quality and functionality met your expectations?

We've looked at several other brands and to us the Jayco WhiteHawk seems to be the better quality. Thank you in advance for any help or comments.
edwardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:15 PM   #2

Edwardo,
1. Yes you can. That is one of the things we looked at before buying. Also note that you have the bedroom outside door so that gives you another route for access.
2. Unfortunately no. I'd love to have the unit about 6 inches longer to make that happen but you have to move the chairs--and make sure they are secured. They can get beaten up pretty quick hitting the window cranks, etc.
3. Can't answer
4. No experience but I think it is sturdy enough. Other will have to weigh in.
5. Quality is good. We had only a couple of things to have done post-purchase. I think they are as least as good as anything else out there.

I hope you make the jump to that unit. It's a good choice.
Dan
redenbacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:46 PM   #3

3. When I ordered mine, my dealer told me to stay way from the electric stabilizers, so I have manual ones, but if the one you are looking has them, I wouldn't let that sway my final decision.

4. No you cannot safely install a bike rack on the bumper. This has been discussed on here many times, just do a search and you can read plenty! I am currently exploring options for this myself right now.

I do not have a Whitehawk, so I can't help you with the other questions, but I did almost buy one myself. They are great campers. Good luck.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:03 PM   #4

We have the 2013 model, which is the same floor plan.

You can access every thing with the slide in except the entertainment center and the chair at the back of the trailer.

You will have to turn the chair 90 degrees to close the slide. We did away with that chair and have a dog crate in its place.

Replaced the chair on the curb side with a recliner. Didn't like the barrel chairs.

Love the fact that the bedroom is totally isolated from the living area. DW can watch the tv in the bedroom while I read in the living area.

I would like there to be table space under the wardrobes in the bedroom like the Jay Flights have, but this is not a deal breaker.

I have had mine 18 months with no warrantee work required. There was a recall concerning the electric awning. A contractor came to the house and repaired it.

The indicator for fresh water level is not working and I will take it to the dealer to get that fixed. Other then that the quality has been good.

I replaced my thermostat with a Coleman digit which is an exact replacement, easy to do in 10 minutes. Much better temperature control. ($70 from Amaxon).

I have manual stabilizers and use 4 x 4 lengths of wood under them so I don't have to lower them very much.

Most people on this forum will not recommend putting much weight on the rear bumper unless you get it reinforced by a welding shop. I put one bike on my rear ladder. My carrier obtained at Camping World will hold two, which I think will be doable.

We have the table and chairs option, which we find way more comfortable than the dinette. We only take 2 chairs with us.

We are very happy with this camper in over 50 nights out, and highly recommend it.

Good luck with your purchase and welcome to JOF!
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:43 PM   #5

We have had our 2014 30 DSRE since September and it has electric stabilizers and we have had no trouble. I love them. Our trailer has a spare tire on the bumper and it seems very sturdy when you shake it. I think a couple bikes would not make much different. Plus ours has not had any warranty work either.
xtruckerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:45 PM   #6

Thanks everyone.
One other question: Is there enough room on the battery rack for 2 battery boxes?
Old 11-11-2014, 06:11 AM   #7

yes, there is room for two battery boxes
Old 11-11-2014, 04:25 PM   #8

Has anyone installed additional roof vents? We do a lot of dry camping and the extra ventilation would be nice.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:39 AM   #9

Well, my local dealer is very close to matching online prices on a White Hawk 27DSRL and I am about to call him to confirm the deal. So, maybe next week I will have a new TT. What extras do I need to buy to be ready for camping? I will talk to them about the vent also.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:47 AM   #10

Replaced stock bathroom fan with a Fantastic Vent Fan. Will greatly increase ventilation in the trailer. Maxxis also makes similar fans.

I got a manual one, three speed, shuts off when you close the top. You can get fans with thermostats and that will close automatically when it starts to rain. Some even come with a remote. All depends on how much you want to spend.

Maybe you can get the dealer to install one as a part of your deal.

I would not consider cutting another hole in the roof and you would also have to have wiring for an additional fan. You can also use you A/C fan on the fan only setting.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:01 PM   #11

I made a down payment on the White Hawk today and will pick it up next week. I'm having them add a Fantastic Fan with a Maxxair Fan Mate 850 cover in the bath. The fan has a rain sensor. Does it make sense to get the fan with rain sensor when it will be covered with the Maxxair cover?
Old 11-14-2014, 08:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardo View Post
3. The one we're looking at has electric stabilizers; I'd rather have manual ones; has anyone had problems with the electric?
We have electric stabilizers on our Eagle and so far no troubles. The point I'm trying to make is if you get the electric stabilizers and for some reason they fail, they have a manual side to them as well. Just crank 'em down like a manual, the tool is provided.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardo View Post
The fan has a rain sensor. Does it make sense to get the fan with rain sensor when it will be covered with the Maxxair cover?
Probably not, but if it's part of the deal, I'd get it. We have a 2 speed Fantastic fan and they're great. Changes all the air out in the camper rather quickly.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:40 AM   #14

Congrats on your new White Hawk. I am sure you will love it.
xtruckerbob is offline   Reply With Quote