Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-07-2022, 06:12 PM   #1

Thinking about switching....maybe

I was browsing through the Forest River website and came across this floorplan of a Rockwood Signature camper and can't stop thinking about it. I really like the large rear bathroom with the seat in the shower and at just under 30' it packs it in nicely with the 2 slides which are through frame thankfully.
https://www.forestriverinc.com/rvs/t...s/8262RBS/6155
Standard features on this unit from the factory-
E rated Goodyear Endurance tires-overkill for this camper
50amp service
2'' receiver
TST tire pressure monitoring system
Porcelain foot flush toilet
Adzel walls inside and out
WIFI booster
200W solar panel on roof with charge controller
12V heat pads on all tanks
12v 11 cubic ft fridge
Mind you, this is all standard equipment among other things.
So I located one about 30 minutes from my house at Edmunson RV in Edinburg Indiana and went to look at it. Surprisingly the fit and finish was quite good as I spent about 30 minutes looking it over. This particular unit has 2 AC's plus slide covers which are a must for me.
https://www.edmundsonrv.com/New-Inve...48782?ref=list
Now I have to figure out why I would want to trade in my pristine 2012 Eagle for something that potentially could be junk. I told the salesman that I wasn't ready to buy at this point and he suggested I wait anyway as the price will drop significantly when the Forest River dealer incentives come in around mid January. I thought that was nice of him. I think I must be crazy for even considering this but from what I've learned in the 10 years I've been on this Forum about fit and finish and all the other things to check, this unit looked really good. Talk me out of it please.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 07:19 PM   #2

You make a very convincing case for us not talking you out of it.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 07:19 PM   #3

You have time. Research first!
If their quality is similar to what has been the norm for most RV's over the last few years you may be missing your older unit in a short while....
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 08:18 PM   #4

They could raise the price $100,000 and make a one ton diesel truck standard equipment. Eventually the customer pays for everything installed.

Then there is the inevitable warranty work as all the kinks get worked out. The buyers remorse as yet another little issue ruins a camping trip.

Lol how am I doing?

Seriously, if there are major flaws with your current floorplan switching makes sense. With experience you know what will work better for you.
Old 12-07-2022, 08:45 PM   #5
Site Team

I would have a very hard time letting go of something that is still in great shape and works as intended regardless of what you would be trading it on.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 09:27 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
snip...... Talk me out of it please.
Ok......

1) 2012 Eagle is a proven, well built TT.

2) You will miss the rear living room space, additional seating, and open rear/side window views and abundance of natural lighting.

3) You will miss the rear viewing advantage of perimeter campsites.

4) You will miss the comfortable dining with window views/natural lighting.

5) You will miss the 40K plus from your future travel budget.

6) You will miss........

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 10:25 PM   #7

I just replaced my Jayco with a flagstaff, not a single regret. It is such a better trailer it’s crazy. I think it merits your consideration.
JayLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 07:54 AM   #8

Is the flagstaff a nicer model or same level as what you came from? Would be interesting to see an evaluation from someone who swapped to a similar size, trim level, and layout in another brand to see if the grass really is greener.

We’ve considered a new trailer as well. At first I didn’t mind tinkering here and there, but I literally find something that needs to be worked on at least every other trip. Some big stuff. Some small. Sure would be nice to take a trip and not get my tools out. Also, I’d love a trailer where I wasn’t afraid to open the big slide on batteries or not level. I fear the schwintek.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 08:23 AM   #9
Site Team

Our 1st 2 fifth wheels were rea kitchen, only view you had was when washing dishes. The opposing rear slides in our present rig make it like the first apartment we were in and the views are terrific when there is a water or mountain view.

Every rig we have owned was paid for at purchase or very soon after. I hate payments.

Go for it if it makes your wife happy!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 08:30 AM   #10

My dad had a Forest River product after owning 3 Jaycos because they made a wheelchair accessible trailer that my mom needed. The biggest issue he said was when there were problems the waiting for parts. He sold this trailer at the start of COVID after my mom passed.

The service department told him that unlike Jayco, FR does not have an inventory of parts to draw from for warranty or repair work. The part has to be made, then shipped to the dealer. Since service departments are very slow already, I would not want to add to that. Even if you need the part to fix yourself, you would be waiting a while.

Granted this is all hearsay, but you might want to ask about this.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 08:31 AM   #11

Well it wouldn't be for me! Its dark in there.. the back windows are something we like especially with back in sites on a water front.
The crawl over bed looks really hard to make up and enter and egress. Not having a bedside shelf means you sleep on top of a book..ow.

the bar top seating is ok until someone opens the door and lets rain or cold in.. For us it is always in the 40's at night.

Awful lot of space devoted to hallways.. this is good and bad. Dogs require hallways.

For us and only us maybe the double slides are an issue.. I see people from away camping here in Maine and we have so many trees they cannot put the slides out.. Same in Newfoundland.

Thanks for posting.. Just wanted to point out some stuff you might consider.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 08:31 AM   #12

IMHO, I do believe Rockwood/Flagstaff make an excellent product. Perfect? No - nobody is building the perfect RV. But "Rockstaff" generally doesn't skimp on CCC (which means for things like axles and what not they don't skimp and cut it close), has a strong aluminum framing structure, etc. Azdel is a very nice add. Anecdotally, I know 2 people who have newer Rockstaff units; one a Roo and one a Ultralight. Neither have been back to the dealer for anything 1 year in; the small niggles of trim and what not have been fixed by the owners. I've had enough Jaycos to know that has not been MY experience with the brand.

I'd have 0 qualms w/ recommending a Rockstaff to anybody. I honestly can't say that about a lot of the Jayco units I've seen, had, etc.

I know this is a Jayco forum - I'm just being honest. Heaven knows I've sent enough money out to Middlebury over the years to say my peace.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 06:18 PM   #13
JOF Mascot

No,don't do it. There are severe punishments for those with some other brand on this forum. There, me talked you out of it.
Old 12-09-2022, 07:41 AM   #14

I'll be the wrench in the works.

Not a fan of FR products.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 07:57 AM   #15

If you like the floorplan that much, do it.

The quality conversation is pointless as they are all terrible. Blah, blah, blah.
We bought ours based entirely on the floorplan. We wanted an office area, a large kitchen, a large bathroom, and a large window for the campsite. The 29rks checked all of the boxes except for the bathroom.

We very much like the large bathroom. Your model has a nice one! It was on our list, too. But we could not get everything and stay in our budget and TV capacity. It is really hard to find a large bath with a big campsite window.

If you are okay with the limited seating, deeply set bed, and limited views . . .
gunafulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 09:33 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
I'll be the wrench in the works.

Not a fan of FR products.
I had a Sunseeker once; total piece of garbage. However, much like Thor (Airstream vs. Jayco) FR has a plethora of assembly lines independent of each other. Rockstaff, relative to many of their peers, runs a pretty 'decent' shop. Decent for RVs at least.

None of them would be considered passable for pretty much anything else you'd potentially ever buy, especially for the price paid ....

Old 12-09-2022, 11:14 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
I had a Sunseeker once; total piece of garbage. However, much like Thor (Airstream vs. Jayco) FR has a plethora of assembly lines independent of each other. Rockstaff, relative to many of their peers, runs a pretty 'decent' shop. Decent for RVs at least.

None of them would be considered passable for pretty much anything else you'd potentially ever buy, especially for the price paid ....
The build and quality on my Montana is pretty good. We went to IN in the summer of 2020. I have to say, it was impressive. But like mentioned earlier, every brand has its dimples. None are without complaint and issues. Just depends on what you want. The only reason I feel the way I do about FR is, I've seen the quality first hand from other campers and heard their stories. But again, my Montana is built pretty stout. I had the opportunity to actually compare the Northpoint and the Montana side-by-side. Very very similar build. Just slight differences. The Montana won in the end.

So I guess it's just a "pick your poison" thing.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 11:57 AM   #18

Our 2011Eagle 320RLDS was ordered in late 2010. It arrived with two very minor defects, so minor that we waited until the end of the two year warranty to have them addressed. I cannot emphasize enough how much abuse that trailer took every time we left our Colorado ranch. It had to withstand 5 miles of decomposed granite road which was lucky to be graded twice a year. Our camping days ended nearly 2 years ago due to an injury, but that puppy was still as solid as the day we took possession. No way in the world would I consider buying a new trailer. I believe I would have kept that one for several more years if I was able to continue camping. I am not suggesting the OP should do the same, but if he’s got a great Eagle, wow!
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 02:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
Is the flagstaff a nicer model or same level as what you came from? Would be interesting to see an evaluation from someone who swapped to a similar size, trim level, and layout in another brand to see if the grass really is greener.

We’ve considered a new trailer as well. At first I didn’t mind tinkering here and there, but I literally find something that needs to be worked on at least every other trip. Some big stuff. Some small. Sure would be nice to take a trip and not get my tools out. Also, I’d love a trailer where I wasn’t afraid to open the big slide on batteries or not level. I fear the schwintek.
I had a JayFeather Micro 171BH that I really did love. It may be the best no slide bunkhouse trailer on the market. However, there where things related to sleeping East West and Son outgrowning bunks, that meant we needed to look for another floorplan. I felt the Jayco was nice, but I did find all sorts of issues on the initial PDI and some when I got home and some when I went camping and some while it was sitting still. I always listened and believed the line about all brand being crap at some level, but that all changed when I went to an RV show and was able to jump into a Flagstaff and then into a Jayco side by side. The Jayco was the same build and “quality” as my trailer, but being in the Flagstaff suddenly made it feel like hot garbage. There is no comparison of the finer details (caulk, holes cut, cabinets) I bought a 21DS Flagstaff. I did a 4 hour tag team inspection with an RV inspector and we found literally one thing. It was just a dap of Dicor needed. I mean we checked everything! Add to that the litany of added features and there is just no comparison. I don’t doubt the Flagstaff and Rockwood can put out something questionable, but whatever they did the day they built mine was unmatched quality build.
JayLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 03:09 PM   #20

My experience with my Rockwood Minilite 2509s was similar. Aside from the weak electric tongue jack (FIC garbage, but par for what manufacturers add it seems) I had 0 issues with it for the 2 years I had it. I'd strongly consider another Minilite as a couples trailer down the road for DW and I.