Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-18-2011, 08:54 PM   #1

Thinking of buying a 26RLS

The wife and I are in the process of buying a 2011 26RLS. Hopefully everything goes ok and we pick it up this Friday. The TT comes without a TV. We were wondering if we could buy any flat panel TV and mount like for our house or do we have to buy a RV one? We know that there are space limitations.

Also, is there a specific type of toliet paper that we need to use? We use paper that can be used in a septic system and wondered if that can be used in the TT as well?

Lastly, the TT says it is a 30AMP. Everything I read says to multiply the AMP by 12 and that the generator we need would be at least 3600 watts. I have not seen any in that size. Can we go with a 4k and be ok?

If you could not tell, this is my first TT and the wife lived in one many years ago.

Thanks in advance.
Dirtballx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:08 PM   #2

You have come to right place. Not knowing you I would tell you to give it some time and this will all become second nature to you. The panel LCD will be fine as long as you get the right mount. Toilet Tissue just stick with single ply, a lot cheaper and works swell in the well. As far as generator I have a 5600 watt portable and it runs my 15000 btu ac fine.The main thing is to get one big enough to start the compressor.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:16 PM   #3

ydad45,

thanks for the response. that is what we thought but I am a novice when it comes to this stuff and it has been a few years for the wife.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtballx2 View Post
The wife and I are in the process of buying a 2011 26RLS. Hopefully everything goes ok and we pick it up this Friday. The TT comes without a TV. We were wondering if we could buy any flat panel TV and mount like for our house or do we have to buy a RV one? We know that there are space limitations.

Also, is there a specific type of toliet paper that we need to use? We use paper that can be used in a septic system and wondered if that can be used in the TT as well?

Lastly, the TT says it is a 30AMP. Everything I read says to multiply the AMP by 12 and that the generator we need would be at least 3600 watts. I have not seen any in that size. Can we go with a 4k and be ok?

If you could not tell, this is my first TT and the wife lived in one many years ago.

Thanks in advance.
Welcome!! You can buy just about any flat screen that will fit in the space. The newer Jayco models have a template on the wall that show where to put the flat panel mounts.

Buy the RV/Marie TP and you will be fine. Even Walmart sells it.

Generators start an interesting discussion. Most 3600 watt or greater gens will start your AC just fine. There are many, many discussions on generator regarding noise, etc so I would recommend you do a little research before diving right in on one.

Enjoy your new camper and by all means ask plenty of questions - there are folks out here happy to help!

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:14 AM   #5

We purchased a 26RLS last November and love it. Regarding the TV, we purchased a 23" vizio from Costco (ours doesn't carry that model any longer now just a 22".) We chose it because it capable of using on DC power rather than only being able to use on 120V AC. Look for one that has a detachable cord rather than hardwired into the television. A larger television will work but the counter space on the entertainment center was a little tight. And we found larger ones we could not use on DC power. We chose not to mount it on the wall. We store it in the orignal box under the bed when traveling.

We also installed a second battery on the front tongue.

We are picking up our from the dealer today after having some warranty work done. Nothing major just a thing or two we found during our walk thru.

One thing you may want to ask your dealer is how to position the swivel rockers during travel. We found ours to be more secure on their backs having the bases facing each other both towards the center table and we wedge a small pillow between table and base against table. Leaving the chairs in the upright position will just become a projectile object if having to stop quickly.

Just something to keep in mind. We love the floorplan and how it tows.
If you have any question please feel free to PM me.

Mary Anne
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:26 AM   #6

Quote:
We chose it because it capable of using on DC power rather than only being able to use on 120V AC
Just curious - are you saying that it came with a DC cord or that you were able to run it with an inverter?

I have not seen any Vizios at our Costco that would run on DC directly, but that sure would be nice!

Old 04-19-2011, 08:57 AM   #7

Our television we had in our PUP had a DC cord and that is what we were able to use for the Vizio. The Vizio has a detachable power cord. As long as you can get the right connecter for the back you will be fine. We also have a 12V power outlet that is in the TV cabinet next to the AC plug outlet. Here is the television we purchased. Take a look at the back and you will see what I mean. We only paid $199 at Costco for it.

http://www.vizio.com/led-lcd-hdtvs/vm230xvt.html

We wanted to have the capabilities to watch some TV if we don't have hookups.

Mary Anne
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:32 AM   #8

Ok! I see what they are doing - on these newer "razor thin" TVs they are removing the power supply from the TV and using an external brick. Makes sense to try to get the TV as thin as possible -- also good news for us RV folks since it gives more power choices.

Too bad I purchased my TV before those came out. Next time I am in Costco I will have to take a look. In fact, it is right across the street from my office so maybe at lunch I will take a look (and get a Hot Dog! lol)

Not quite ready to buy yet, but thanks for giving me another reason for my money to part ways at Costco

Old 04-19-2011, 11:12 AM   #9

I stopped by Costco at lunch. They had several of the thin TV models that took DC power. Interesting though you had to look carefully, many of them took 17 or 19 volts - only one took 12 volts.

I actually got out of there without spending a dime....very odd.....

Old 04-19-2011, 07:45 PM   #10

Thanks everyone for the great answers and advice. We got the call today and go sign papers on Thursday and pick up our 2011 JayFlight 26RLS on Friday. Already had plans for the coming weekend so next weekend is the madien trip. We are so excited. We plan on going to a local site (25 mi) away and spending three days there. Thanks again.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:52 PM   #11
Site Team

That`s great news, now officially a Jayco Owner. Be sure to vote in the travel trailer poll!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:21 PM   #12

Keep in mind, if you plan on using Dish or Direct and have a standard definition receiver, the flat screen 9x16s will give you a shrunken picture, unless you swith to a partial zoom, which distorts features. All the women look like porkers. Point is, if you want SD, you could pick up a used 4x3 for $20 or so and have a larger, better picture. Of course, your table has to be deep enough to accommodate the depth of the set. Welcome to camping!
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:33 PM   #13

Going to go with a flat screen. Not so sure about Satellite service this year. We have thousands of DVDs to watch plus we can download a movie to the puter and hook that up.

Thanks again for all the advice and wishes.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:14 PM   #14

You don't have to spend a fortune for toilet paper. Anything that is OK for septic tanks will work. If you are unsure just fill a quart jay with water and drop in a few sheets. Shake it up and if it disentigrates it is good to use. Also remember to ALWAYS keep a few gallons of water in the tank after dumping. We fill the toilet to the top 3 times and dump it into the tank. Water in the black tank is your friend.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote