Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-16-2020, 10:25 AM   #1

This is why I don’t buy new things!!!

So. My kids were closing the awning on the brand new 174BH and a table was pushed under the awning arm. Now the awning arm is bent. Help!!!
Attached Thumbnails
6D1BAD54-943F-4F7F-8073-B95CAFCECC35.jpg   077CD6C3-D0BC-49F7-A884-397689AC5A35.jpg  
Pikespeakfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 10:29 AM   #2

Well, at least you have kids to blame.

I'm no real help, but I think I see a new arm in your future.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 10:33 AM   #3

I don't know how old your kids are, but usually they keep doing these kinds of things until they are grown and using their own money to buy stuff that their kids will screw up.
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 11:09 AM   #4

I am the third oldest of 9 kids. Every time we break something, Dad would yell "For crying out loud in the sink! We can't have anything nice!"
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 11:11 AM   #5

Hahah. Man. If you didn’t laugh about stuff like this. You might just..... cry!!! Tried bending it. No dice.
Son of a!!!!
Old 05-16-2020, 11:21 AM   #6

Gotta be a way to bend this thing. Hard thing is it is attached together in some sort of grommet type bolt that is weird.
Old 05-16-2020, 11:31 AM   #7

If you tried bending while on the tt, you won't have much luck. If you feel handy (by the way, even if you don't, you have to replace the arm anyway) try the following as long as there aren't creased folds in the arm:

Put a 2x4 under the extended awning near the bend end so it stays up and proceed to remove the bent arm...carefully. It will take awhile. Once you have the arm in hand, you will need to measure or estimate the amount of deflection that it is crowned by laying on the driveway with the crown up and check the deflection. For example... if it's 2 inches. You need two things large enough for the ends of the arm to set upon and thick enough, say 3 inches. With the arm setting with the crown towards the sky, press, gently by only going to a 2 inch deflection back to what 'normal' was. Stop and check to see if you decreased the measurement. Keep pressing. Stop and check each time going a little further past 'normal' flat until you get to a good place to stop.....or you ruin it entirely. Sometimes, close is good enough when perfect is in the vicinity of $400.
Old 05-16-2020, 11:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckinfuss View Post
If you tried bending while on the tt, you won't have much luck. If you feel handy (by the way, even if you don't, you have to replace the arm anyway) try the following as long as there aren't creased folds in the arm:

Put a 2x4 under the extended awning near the bend end so it stays up and proceed to remove the bent arm...carefully. It will take awhile. Once you have the arm in hand, you will need to measure or estimate the amount of deflection that it is crowned by laying on the driveway with the crown up and check the deflection. For example... if it's 2 inches. You need two things large enough for the ends of the arm to set upon and thick enough, say 3 inches. With the arm setting with the crown towards the sky, press, gently by only going to a 2 inch deflection back to what 'normal' was. Stop and check to see if you decreased the measurement. Keep pressing. Stop and check each time going a little further past 'normal' flat until you get to a good place to stop.....or you ruin it entirely. Sometimes, close is good enough when perfect is in the vicinity of $400.

This.
Is.
Brilliant.
Even if it doesn’t work! Thanks man.
The awning does close. Just about 2 inches short of the side of the trailer. So. Damn close.
Old 05-16-2020, 11:45 AM   #9

I forgot to deal with your 'grommety' things. Those are a standard item with a 3/8" hole available at Home Depot, Lowes, True Value, Ace, Menards, etc. and also from your RV shop. You could even call Dometic customer service and they would most likely send you an envelope with a few in it for free if you tell them your story so you make the agent laff. Anyway, I have an old Boy Scout knife from 1960 that I slide the blade under those and twist a little to remove them. They pop off and are usually not reusable since they are a one and done part. If you don't have a Boy Scout knife from 1960, then a good quality blade that's thin enough to slide under should work. Don't try this with a flat blade screwdriver or the scab you leave will irritate you for the rest of the time you own this trailer...even if your kids run away from home first.
Old 05-16-2020, 12:22 PM   #10

Ouch!

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 12:23 PM   #11

That's why they are called rv's.
Repair vehicles
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 02:16 PM   #12

At least you didn’t ask one of them to back the trailer up.
Old 05-17-2020, 06:35 PM   #13

Funny title. This is exactly why I don't buy anything used. All too often the previous owner screwed half of the things up and now its my turn to fix them.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 07:32 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikespeakfamily View Post
Gotta be a way to bend this thing. Hard thing is it is attached together in some sort of grommet type bolt that is weird.
I don't think that arm is available as a separate replacement part, unfortunately. Here's a link to the parts, if it's a Smart Arm awning. It also shows all the weird fasteners you're seeing.

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd-0001551.pdf

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 04:10 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
I don't think that arm is available as a separate replacement part, unfortunately. Here's a link to the parts, if it's a Smart Arm awning. It also shows all the weird fasteners you're seeing.

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd-0001551.pdf
Yeah. It’s part C. Looks like separate part number. I’ll give em a call.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:27 AM   #16

Quote:
So. My kids were closing the awning on the brand new 174BH and a table was pushed under the awning arm. Now the awning arm is bent. Help!!!
Try using several C clamps and some 2 pieces of flat steel and compress it. I’m in Colorado Springs if you need a hand.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
Try using several C clamps and some 2 pieces of flat steel and compress it. I’m in Colorado Springs if you need a hand.
I have thought about doing this - even with some 2x4's or something it's bent - not creased.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:24 PM   #18

If there is a crease in the metal anywhere, it is shot(past yield point), and must be replaced.

If the price of a new piece is crazy expensive, checkout a local metal distributor. I bet there is nothing special about that piece of aluminum. Figure out the wall thickness, and dimensions. Contact your local metal distributor, and see if they have a piece in stock. You might be able to go with a heavier gauge wall, as long as the outside dimensions are the same.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 01:47 PM   #19

It actually looks like the gas strut seized up which caused the bend. The table was a plastic lifetime little table and turned out to be unscathed. Trying to see if my garage camera caught it.
Old 05-18-2020, 02:11 PM   #20

Quote:
It actually looks like the gas strut seized up which caused the bend. The table was a plastic lifetime little table and turned out to be unscathed. Trying to see if my garage camera caught it.
My kids swore up and down they didn’t hit anything. Camera confirmed!!!