Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-24-2017, 10:32 PM   #1

Thoughts on 26BH

Hello all.

Wife and I bought a new Jay Feather 16XRB a few months ago and have used it extensively since then. We have discovered that we want something bigger and worked out a good deal on a 2018 Jay Flight 26BH with fiberglass sides, 80 gal FWT, and a chill 'n' store area.

Does anyone have comments about the 26BH? We also considered the 25BH but the price difference was roughly 10k and didn't feel a slide-out was worth it for what we need.

We want
-A queen bed that doesn't have to be prepared at all
-An outdoor fridge and a place to hook up our camp chief stove and Weber Q.
-An oven inside as well as a large fridge unit
-A nice size bathroom

I almost bought a Coleman 2405BH at a Camping World location, but the $3400 in destination, prep, and documentation fees put an end to that.

jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:15 AM   #2

The jayco 26bh is good unit bought one 2 years ago and love it . The chill n store fridge is good for a couple of cold beers and soda not much else and has to run on shore power. Tows great. The main fridge is just right for us ,it holds about 3 to 4 days of foodl.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

kendo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 07:11 AM   #3

We really love ours......

Lots of storage, Our camp chef 90x is a great fit in the rear hold next to the outside fridge. Put in a T connector on the propane line and camp chef and grill are well supplied.

We do a lot of state park camping....having 80 gallons of fresh water is great....really glad we have it.

Only opportunity on your wish list is the bath is tight.
Equal-i-zer 1.2K/12K
Jay Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 07:53 AM   #4

We have had our 26BH for 4 years and had only minor issues which I corrected myself (or created myself). For just 2 people, it's a great trailer but if you have kids or grand kids that would be with you often, it does get a bit cramped around the kitchen area.

The bed is a short queen. I'm 6' tall and have to put my head close to the headboard to keep my feet on the mattress. The factory mattress isn't that great but with a $40 foam pad on it, it's pretty comfortable.

There is a gas connection at the back of the trailer but you will have to buy the adapters and hose to connect a Q to it. That line is regulated and you cannot connect another regulated appliance to it or the gas flow will be too low. To me, it wasn't worth the hassle of buying all that when the small gas cylinders are so cheap.

As for the oven, we rarely use ours. It's fairly small, takes a long time to get to temp and needs an internal thermometer to be used correctly. You need to add a pizza stone or ceramic tiles in the bottom of the stove to help regulate the heat distribution or it burns your food.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:08 AM   #5

Thanks for the comments.

We plan to replace the mattress the first day.

Didn't plan on trading in the 16XRB so quickly, but it's very tight inside, and for just a little more money we're moving up quite a bit. Plus I'm fairly hopeful that going bigger won't affect the gas mileage that much.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:49 AM   #6

I would like to add to this. We had a 2007 jay flight 20bh and we loved it although it was too small for us. The 20bh is the same floor plan as the 26bh but did not have the queen in front, otherwise it is identical. My little camper had a ton of storage for a small camper. Our main issue was that it was tight. When it rained I had to sit under the awning as there really wasn't enough room inside for all of us to be comfortable. The kitchen has a good layout and we liked that the bathroom sink was outside of the bathroom door so others can brush their teeth etc, if someone else was in the bathroom. When we were shopping, we looked at one and it was great but we decided that we really needed a slide model and purchased a 2017 jay feather 25bh and couldn't be happier. Got it for sub 20k too. I still miss that little camper though.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 09-25-2017, 08:50 AM   #7

We love our 26BH. It's the second trailer we've had with this floorplan. We use it as a couple's trailer.

In terms of bang for the buck, it's hard to beat.

Of course, there is no perfect floorplan for everyone.

We've made several mods to our's, and one of them was to remove the outside fridge. We do a lot of camping with no electrical hookups, so the AC only fridge was of little value to us. Plus, we have adequate room in the inside fridge.

Slide vs no-slide has been discussed plenty. We don't want a slide for a variety of reasons, so that's a plus for us with the 26BH.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:21 AM   #8

I had ordered the 26BH "sight-unseen" as the dealer did not have one on the lot. I wanted to avoid buying one with a slide at the time. I went in to a Spring Workshop at the dealer and after the workshop I was walking around the lot to find the exact same model (26) waiting to be delivered. When I went inside to check it out I realized it may be an issue to have our dog (black Lab-boxer mix) in the kitchen area while my wife cooked. They had a 27BHS right next to it and I was able to compare both at the same time. I decided to cancel my 26BH order that day and buy the 27BHS. I love the extra room that it offers and all the extras that came with that particular model. I was Leary of having a slide but decided to "just go for it". I just had them install an awning over the slide to help keep debris out. It's only my wife and I with the dog. The bed is plenty big enough (I'm kinda a big guy). I use the bunk beds for all my kayak gear, camping chairs, etc. Wish the bathroom was a bit bigger as it's hard to change clothes in it, but the shower is plenty big for me. It does have a nice outdoor kitchen, electric awning & tongue, and other nice features. It was right at $20k with the $500 slide awning.
I have not seen the 27BHS on the 2018 website??
I do like the 28BHS a bit better because of the U-shaped kitchen table. I would have liked to have that for the dog to be able to sit with us instead of sitting at our feet under the table. .
Good luck with whatever you buy
Good luck with your purchase

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:58 AM   #9

Now I'm more confused - here's what it came down to:

Jay Feather 25BH -
-Sits up high, has a nice outdoor kitchen area
-Full slide

Jay Flight 26BH
-No Slide, easier for maintenance.
-Better price

The price for the 25BH is $25k-10k trade, so I'd pay around $15k out of pocket for the upgrade.

OR

The 26BH is right at $18k - $10k trade, so I'll pay $8k out of pocket to upgrade.

Basically, I'm not sure the slide out is worth $8k. Plus, I need to be able to get into the bathroom and fridge with the slide in, and not sure that's possible with the 25BH.

Thoughts?
Old 09-25-2017, 12:17 PM   #10

I apologize if I was not clear.
When I saw the 26BH on the lot it was not mine but for a different customer.
Also I don't have any experience with the 25BH so I just commented on what I have seen (26, 27 & 28)
With my 27BHS - I BARELY have room to get to the bathroom & fridge with slide in and cannot access a couple storage areas (under television). Bedroom is totally accessible!
We do have access to gas under trailer
Hope this helps more than confuses?

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote