Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-12-2019, 06:02 PM   #1

Tips for pulling long TT?

We have just purchased a 2020 Jayco 330rsts. Our tow vehicle is an F350 diesel....so we are fine there. I want to prepare both myself and my wife on what we should expect pulling a 39-40 foot travel trailer.
We are coming from a 2004 Wildcat BHSS which pulled about 33 foot. I work a lot and my wife (bless her heart) pulled that camper and set it up at the campsite most of the time. Which for me was awesome...did I mention she is awesome. LOL
Anyways. My wife is a bit nervous with this new camper. We pick it up this Friday. From what I understand some will say the new camper pulls better because of the better suspension and better 16" wheels and tires. We also have the Propride 3 hitch system.
I am just looking for advise, tips , suggestion and personal experiences that can help us understand what we are in for with such a long TT.
Thank you all for such a great site.
Rbutcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:40 PM   #2
Site Team

Practicing in an empty parking lot will be a lot less strenuous, and will eliminate some of the bad surprises at a campground. Depending on where the axles are mounted along the length, you may, or may not have some additional tail swing when turning. If you continue to spot the trailer wheels where you want them, when backing up, you'll be alright. There's not that much difference in length between your two trailers. It's not like you're going from a 20' TT to a 40'.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:21 PM   #3

Find a empty parking lot and practice practice practice. Just remember that that when you turn there is a lot more back there than you had before. When we had our 33RLDS and towing it with the Excursion we were 58 feet long.So just remember it is going to be a little longer. But with me i felt the longer the trailer was the easier it was to back up. We never had aa problem getting into anyplace we went. After you do it a few times it will come second nature to where you put the trailer tires and turn. Have fun
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 01:57 AM   #4

Congrats! It have be said already Practice, Practice and then Practice some more, one thing that I would do is to learn to turn a little wide, maybe not like towing a 5th wheel but you will get the hang of it.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:28 AM   #5

Research your destination campgrounds carefully if you are coming East.
Most campgrounds here are chock full of trees. I live in a resort area and frankly it would not fit here even in a commercial campground. However there ARE campgrounds that accommodate a big rig though they are a small percentage of overall RV campgrounds.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:29 AM   #6

Yep...she's a keeper. I'm guessing she won't have any problems with the longer trailer and your concerns will vanish after the (her) first pull and setup. Congrats.