Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-17-2018, 04:50 PM   #1

Tips for running dual fuel generator on propane

I have a new Champion 3500 dual fuel generator. We would like to run it on propane. Can we hook it into the propane outlet on the back of the trailer (for the grill)? Or do we have to connect directly to a propane tank using the rather intimidating looking hose/regulator that came with the generator?
CaptainVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:22 PM   #2

As long as the hose will provide enough flow it should be fine.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:49 PM   #3

I do exactly what you're talking about.
And the answer is "Yes" and "No".
That "intimidating regulator" isn't just a regulator. The small part is a standard propane regulator like you already have connected to your tanks in your RV. So the gas at the propane grill port at the back of the trailer is already low pressure propane.

BUT - you can't just hook that port into your generator - it won't crank. You have to run the propane through that second, LARGE thing that looks like a regulator. A very nice guy at the Champion dealer's service department told me that large thing is a flow regulator. It doesn't change pressure, it just restricts the amount of gas that flows into the generator. Without it you basically flood the generator with gas and it won't start.

Rather than take apart the hoses, regulator and flow restrictor that came with the generator, I ordered another flow restrictor from Champion, along with some hoses from the local camping supply store. I still wanted to be able to run the generator off a propane tank AND run it off the grill port. So now I have 2 sets of hoses and regulators.

For the grill port, basically you want to go from the outlet on the back of the trailer to the flow restrictor, then a second hose from the restrictor to the generator. Obviously you need all the correct gas fittings and quick connects.

I bought my factory reconditioned Champion 3400 inverter generator at a great price from these folks:
www.supergenproducts.com
then I called their 800 number to get educated and buy the flow restrictor.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:13 PM   #4

Thanks

I sure appreciate the detailed reply. Now I know what I need to do.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:16 PM   #5

Glad I found this post, also looking in purchasing the 3100/3400 inverter for my TT. Did you managed to get all the parts to connect it to the back of the TT quick connect grill port?

Wondering what I need to make it work. Thanks
ibra0078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:55 AM   #6

The short answer is Yes. I still need one more custom cable from the quick release on the back of the trailer and will add that in the spring. Here is what I heard from Champion.
Yes, sir… it is a bit more complicated. Below is the instructions I have come up with for this until we hopefully get a quick disconnect setup or something as an accessory in the future.

The dual fuel inverter hose kit has two components: A regulator (#2) and a pressure reducing valve (#3).

The hose we include is inline after the pressure reducing valve (#3) and is sized to work with it to supply the correct flow rate.
This hose length cannot be changed.

If you want to extend the propane hose kit, there are two ways to do so.
In both cases, you may need to contact your local propane supplier for fittings and hoses.

- Add a hose and fittings between the regulator and pressure reducing valve which I have circled in red below.
- You can also remove the regulator (#2) entirely and run a ½ PSI regulated propane line directly into the pressure reducing valve (#3).

<image001.png>

To put it simply, the machine will run fine as long as you supply ½ PSI to the pressure reducing valve (#3) and you use the provided hose.
Please see the attached file for details on the connector being used in the pressure reducing valve (#3).

Here is what one user has done:
On the road . . . with AirMiles - Page 3 - Airstream Forums
Old 01-02-2019, 09:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainVideo View Post
The short answer is Yes. I still need one more custom cable from the quick release on the back of the trailer and will add that in the spring. Here is what I heard from Champion.
Yes, sir… it is a bit more complicated. Below is the instructions I have come up with for this until we hopefully get a quick disconnect setup or something as an accessory in the future.

The dual fuel inverter hose kit has two components: A regulator (#2) and a pressure reducing valve (#3).

The hose we include is inline after the pressure reducing valve (#3) and is sized to work with it to supply the correct flow rate.

In both cases, you may need to contact your local propane supplier for fittings and hoses.

- Add a hose and fittings between the regulator and pressure reducing valve which I have circled in red below.
- You can also remove the regulator (#2) entirely and run a ½ PSI regulated propane line directly into the pressure reducing valve (#3).

<image001.png>

To put it simply, the machine will run fine as long as you supply ½ PSI to the pressure reducing valve (#3) and you use the provided hose.
Please see the attached file for details on the connector being used in the pressure reducing valve (#3).

Thanks for the information, the picture didnt load but I went to the above link, it seems if I use the regulator hose that is provided and get some fittings to go from a standard LP propane opening to a quick connect that should do the trick.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:26 AM   #8

Sorry about the pictures. I can't figure out how to attach them. When I click on the picture icon it's asking for a url link to the pictures and I don't have that.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Sorry about the pictures. I can't figure out how to attach them. When I click on the picture icon it's asking for a url link to the pictures and I don't have that.

Dont worry about it, its hard to tell but do you know what fittings did he use to make that extra hose?
Old 01-03-2019, 03:05 PM   #10

I opted against the dual fuel generator and went with the straight gas Champion 3400 remote start. It saved some money, and maybe some weight, but the bottom line is I always travel with an extra 25-50L of premium gas (for the truck) so I always have gasoline available even in a pinch. I don't usually lug around an extra 20lb propane tank or two. To each their own, so buy what you think would be most practical for the way you camp.
Old 09-04-2020, 08:32 AM   #11

Need to get propane quick connect instead of air compressor fitting (different standard) when making custom propane quick connect. Ensure you have a male male quick connect hose.

Then control flow by adjusting flow valve on quick connect 1/2 way or so. Controlling the flow eliminates the need for extra large flow connector.

May take some time to figure out the exact flow setting but should also work. Enjoy.
OmajineRV610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 08:45 AM   #12

As is... a quick connect provides too much flow and needs to be turned down. Generator won’t start at full open.
OmajineRV610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 09:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
I opted against the dual fuel generator and went with the straight gas Champion 3400 remote start. It saved some money, and maybe some weight, but the bottom line is I always travel with an extra 25-50L of premium gas (for the truck) so I always have gasoline available even in a pinch. I don't usually lug around an extra 20lb propane tank or two. To each their own, so buy what you think would be most practical for the way you camp.
I went the other way of thinking for my situation. My truck is diesel so I would be carrying gas only for a generator. But with dual 30lb propane cylinders on the camper I’ve always got propane. So I can carry a gas can just in case and have two ways to power my generator or leave the gasoline at home and know I have 60lbs of propane if I need it.
As a plus, the generator also serves double duty as an emergency backup for the house. I can keep a couple of 20lb propane cylinders in the shed and not worry about them going bad like gas will.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 02:25 PM   #14

Thank you, this is exactly what we were looking for
Travelling Finnegans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 05:06 PM   #15

Can you send the link to me. We are trying to do the same thing with a champion 3500 dual fuel inverter/generator for our 2021 jay feather
Thank you in advance
Travelling Finnegans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:48 PM   #16

I'm wondering if you could possibly update the picture you provided? I just bought a Champion 3500 dual fuel generator and am trying to connect it to a propane line coming off my house. It's regulated at the main tank so I can't use the supplied Champion regulator. But trying to bypass the Champion regulator seems to send way too much propane into the generator. So much so that I can smell, see, and hear propane coming out the back of the unit.

Quote:

<image001.png>

Jmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane generator