Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-22-2024, 08:40 PM   #1

Tire covers

Hello I finally got convinced that tire covers are important. Any opinions out there on what the best set to buy. Thanks
Uncle T
Uncle T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 09:30 PM   #2

I am curious as to what convinced you? I am not saying that they are of no value, but when I had my previous RV parked at a local lake for many years I checked the tires carefully when I did move it out of the campground (multi-years lease) and those tires that were always in the shade, and the tire's sides facing inward (so no sun on them) and the tires that were in the sun everyday showed equal spider webbing on the sidewalls (so I replaced all of them and they were ~6 years old). In other words, I would have expected that the tires in the sun every day would appear to be in worse condition than the ones in the shade everyday. Again, I am not saying tire covers are of no value, more that I am not sure that they are of value from my experience but if you had some convincing evidence then I certainly would give it more thought and perhaps purchase some covers as well. Perhaps the bigger value is keeping the wheels clean? ~CA
Old 04-22-2024, 09:41 PM   #3

Just to add a thought, the RV was only a couple years old when I moved it to the lake and I kept it there for ~4 years (except the few times each year I would travel with it) and I would wash it 2~3 times a year and each time I used ArmorAll for tires on the outside of the tires. Perhaps the ArmorAll protected the Sunny side of the tires, but they still aged in appearance the same as with the inward sidewalls that I did not use ArmorAll on. ~CA
Old 04-22-2024, 11:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle T View Post
Hello I finally got convinced that tire covers are important. Any opinions out there on what the best set to buy. Thanks
Uncle T
Iíve had covers on our rig every second it wasnít on the road or in camp. I replaced the tires when they were about 5 years old, but not from cracking or sun damage. For the low cost, why not?

I get mine at Walmart ó fairly cheap and they hold up for years. No reason to buy expensive stuff to just get cooked.
😁 "If a man says heíll fix something, he will. Thereís no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 05:39 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle T View Post
Uncle T
We have four of the Adco brand tire covers (white color) that we got for our 2012 TT when it was new. Like a full trailer cover, they are what I consider a "consumable" product that won't last forever, but if they're kept clean and wiped down with a protectant once in a while, will last several years, probably less in the western and southern climates. A disclaimer to our use, they are only on from late September to early May every year.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 06:56 AM   #6

A lot of tire manufactures do not recommend covering your tires.
(I do anyway)
camjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 08:23 AM   #7

Tires are a stew of chemicals. They offgas naturally which deteriorates their performance and tires age from sun, ozone, heat, etc. The more of each, the quicker they go. Just like your skin, the sun ages them quicker than if protected. Maybe you get an extra year from covering them. We are seasonal, mostly in shade and I still cover mine. Probably because I have the covers and don't want to store them or throw them away.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 05:42 PM   #8

My 2 cents....never covered my auto or truck tires. And the 40+ years of towing have never covered the bunch of trailers I've owned. All have spent their lives outside uncovered in the sunny state of Florida. Never had a sun or environmental issue, either tread wore out or age made me change for piece of mind.
VERDICT - not needed.
JMHO,
PaulB12
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote