Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-29-2024, 01:32 PM   #1

Tire dilemma….need advice.

So I had my 4 TT tires replaced 4.5 years ago at JustTires. In the last 2 months 2 valve stems have failed and another has a split in the rubber stem n about to go. The tires seem fine.
JustTires refuse to replace stems as it’s over 4 years.

I usually change tires at 6years. They are giving me a decent price to replace all 4.
Question….Is failing stems a sign of imminent tire failure or not?
Would you guys just go ahead n replace tires or find a place that would just change stem.

I’m going on a big trip thru blazing hwy395 on way up to mammoth n am always terrified of a blowout in that hell zone w fam in the car.

Thanks, as always for great advice on this forum
doonkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2024, 01:57 PM   #2
Site Team

If your tires are good, any tire shop can replace just the stems. I would have metal ones installed if they're rubber ones. Stem failure isn't an indication of tire issues.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2024, 03:53 PM   #3

I got my last set from Sams Club, lifetime flat protection, balance, rotation and warranty for $20. Priced my tires at Goodyear and some other places and all about the same price but Sams had better warranty for less.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2024, 04:05 PM   #4
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by doonkin View Post
So I had my 4 TT tires replaced 4.5 years ago at JustTires. In the last 2 months 2 valve stems have failed and another has a split in the rubber stem n about to go. The tires seem fine.

I usually change tires at 6years. They are giving me a decent price to replace all 4.
Would you guys just go ahead n replace tires or find a place that would just change stem.

I’m going on a big trip thru blazing hwy395 on way up to mammoth n am always terrified of a blowout in that hell zone w fam in the car.

If you look through the various threads here about tire replacement you will find that most including major tire companies recommend replacing RV tires, on TT, and others at 3-4 years. Your location says Glendale, so if that is Arizona 4.5 is too long. Dry rot, extreme torquing in turns/backup age RV tires before most car or truck, plus they sit for months in one spot. You can do as you like of course but I never ran over 4 and every time, promise, every time I did I had a failure. One climbing Sunset Point, in Friday getaway traffic with the outside temps at 110F. That was right after telling my wife that this was the last camping trip on these tires because they just turned 4. BTW asphalt temps are 140-160 F in those temps.

I suspect the valve stem failures is a warning. I would not be driving across country on 4+ year old tires.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2024, 05:10 PM   #5

They used the very cheap valve stems. They just rotted out. If you are a DIY person, you might just get these and do them without removing the tires.
https://a.co/d/058Uh0f1
Kevin Cooper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2024, 05:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Cooper View Post
They used the very cheap valve stems.
If they even changed them.
Old 06-29-2024, 05:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
If they even changed them.
Wow! Hadn’t thought of that one. New “should” be a given!
Kevin Cooper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2024, 06:16 PM   #8
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Cooper View Post
They used the very cheap valve stems. They just rotted out. If you are a DIY person, you might just get these and do them without removing the tires.
https://a.co/d/058Uh0f1

Maybe, but do you want to depend upon that on 4.5 year old tires and risk your family?

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2024, 07:57 PM   #9

I changed out good looking Goodyear Endurance tires before a 5 week tour of the Southwest. 395 is a lonely highway and risking a tire failure could be a long wait for help and expensive help, let alone risking life and limb of your family and self.
2016 Feather 7 18RBM
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2024, 09:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarlicDude View Post
I changed out good looking Goodyear Endurance tires before a 5 week tour of the Southwest. 395 is a lonely highway and risking a tire failure could be a long wait for help and expensive help, let alone risking life and limb of your family and self.
Funny, we did the same before a trip down 395 and over to the Grand Canyon/Utah. Still had a non-tire issue in the boonies of 395 and it was a little scary — no cell service for miles and the one highway patrolman who flew by didn’t even slow down. We limped to a spot with cell service, but it was no fun.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2024, 06:40 AM   #11

4 1/2 year old tires and Hwy 395, that’s a bad combination. These folks aren’t kidding Hwy 395 is one lonely place. Been there and I would not want to blow a tire or have any issues for that matter. Be safe and have a great trip.
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2024, 07:38 AM   #12

Yeah, you guys are right! I’ve nightmares about a blowout on that 395 in the height of summer. The RV gods are trying to tell me to change em time.
I’ll just try n get em to put metal stems on this time.

$800 well spent for piece of mind I guess. Glendale CA.

When it reaches that heat, do you run at max pressure? I got a tpms and seeing that temp/pressure rise is its own nail biter haha!

Always sage advice. Thankyou guys.
doonkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2024, 09:50 AM   #13

Quote:

Get new tires. There's no other info needed except they are 4.5 yrs old. New tires a must for next long trip.
2023 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 2.7L EcoBoost, 4x4, 3.73 axle, #1900 payload #10,100 tow capacity.
JKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2024, 11:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Yeah, you guys are right! I’ve nightmares about a blowout on that 395 in the height of summer. The RV gods are trying to tell me to change em time.
I’ll just try n get em to put metal stems on this time.

$800 well spent for piece of mind I guess. Glendale CA.

When it reaches that heat, do you run at max pressure? I got a tpms and seeing that temp/pressure rise is its own nail biter haha!

Always sage advice. Thankyou guys.
I air my tires to the max psi (65 for my GYE) in the morning when it’s normal ambient temp (before they are heated up in the sun). I don’t mess with them until I check them the next time under the same conditions.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2024, 11:47 AM   #15
Site Team

I purchased metal stems for my rig and had the tire shop install them when the tires were replaced. They come in lengths, so don't get the longest ones. I bought mine at a auto parts place 2 pack for $5.00. Get a couple extras for the glove compartment. They last forever but who knows when you may need a spare.

Make sure the tire shop does not charge you for the stems if you furnish them.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2024, 07:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
I air my tires to the max psi (65 for my GYE) in the morning when it’s normal ambient temp (before they are heated up in the sun). I don’t mess with them until I check them the next time under the same conditions.
The only right way to do it! Don't try to outthink it and compensate for anything, just do it right. I checked tires a week ago in the afternoon with the rig pointed east-west. The south tires had 3 psi more than the north ones just from sitting in the sun.
Russc25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2024, 08:05 PM   #17

It’s pretty easy to replace valve stems yourself. No special tools needed. Don’t need to break down the tire. Google Colby valves. They’re metal so they’re much stronger. Two for about 30 bucks. You can find them much cheaper if you go offbrand.
DonC757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2024, 12:55 PM   #18

From later post I make you have rubber valves.
Do you have external tmps sensors on them?
Then by centrifugal forces the valves are slinged against the rimm, wich can damage them in time.

Then going to metal valves, solves the problem.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2024, 06:42 PM   #19

Quote:

standard "snap-in" rubber stems are only rated for 65 psi. In my 50 years of working with and testing tires I have never seen a bolt in metal stem fail but have seen many rubber stems fail which then cause a tire to fail because of air loss.
If you are getting 6 years life you are doing better than the average RV owner. 5 years is the suggested time to change tires in RV usage.

I see bolt in stems at about $5 in many auto parts stores. "BOLT_IN" not rubber with thin metal around the rubber.
Old 07-06-2024, 07:44 PM   #20

Have you checked the date code on the side wall? I lost a tire this past week. Put them on 7 years ago, date code said they were 10 years old. They looked great. I stopped about 80 miles before it shredded and it was fine.

I've been procrastinating changing tires as we want to replace the tt. Spent a day while on vacation finding and swapping out 4 tires. Would have done the spare, but could only find 4 tires.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote