Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-15-2019, 10:51 AM   #21

My opinion for what it's worth, use a tire monitoring system with pressure/temp scanning and don't drive over 55 miles per hour. Tires will last longer and travel is safer. Any Comments??

ARMYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:36 AM   #22

If it were me, and yes I'm spending your money, I'd pull those tires and put brand new GY Endurance or other modern designed tire. I'd get those original Raniers off the trailer. Four years is beginning to get old for any trailer tire, especially ones that sat in mostly one sport for the better part of 2 years.

The cost of 4 tires will be small compared to the possible damage to the trailer should one of the original tires come apart at highway speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateboy View Post
Mine are not Goodyear specific. I have the factory original Raniers. I have about 6,500 miles on them since they were put into service in Feb 2018. They're code dated late Nov 2015 (the trailer sat just over two years before I purchased new). I'm putting another 1,100 miles on them next month. I hope to get to end of next year's camping season with them (about 13 months from now). We'll see what five years (with the first two sitting at the dealership) get me. I hope to get about 12,000 miles on them by then.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 01:38 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
Were your Rainiers load range D? I have some on my new camper. I am wondering if they are improving...
We also have a 2015 195RB bought new - came with the 205 75R 14 Rainiers no real problems but the were load range C - Just finisher a 400 mile trip with our new tires Carlisle load range D tires. What a difference in ride and no odd sway that the Rainiers had.
George and Candace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:57 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgarmon View Post
My opinion for what it's worth, use a tire monitoring system with pressure/temp scanning and don't drive over 55 miles per hour. Tires will last longer and travel is safer. Any Comments??

Well, even though I'm retired, driving 55 makes the trip entirely too long for me. In some states it's the speed limit for any vehicle pulling a trailer... but I generally don't go to those places. My last trip was from Texas to Indiana and back... 1050 miles each way. Why would I keep it to 55 when my tires are rated for 87? Do I tow 87? Uuuuumm............. no. But 65 is stable and comfortable, and I can get up to 70 if I need to go around a truck and not hold up other traffic too much. But I make that a very rare occasion. As to the TPMS, I don't have one. I probably should.

Safe speed is exactly that. Some people probably shouldn't tow at 65. I know I shouldn't tow faster than that, even though my rig never seems to bobble. But it's not up to me to tell someone else what their safe towing speed is. Only they can determine that. I hope they don't find out teh hard way that they've exceeded it...
Old 09-18-2019, 09:22 PM   #25

My 27' Jayco White Hawk came with the Ranier China bombs. By winter they'll be 4 years old and have aprox. 12,000 miles, I'll have them replaced. Honestly, I was sweatin those tires at first, but I decided to keep them at max pressure and make 65 my max mph. No problem. I do use a tpms and have had no noticeable air pressure swings. Truthfully, I'll be glad to get those China bombs off, although they are E rated, I do get some sway because of them, I'm looking forward to getting a fresh set of Carlisle's on board.
BigCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:24 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity View Post
My 27' Jayco White Hawk came with the Ranier China bombs. By winter they'll be 4 years old and have aprox. 12,000 miles, I'll have them replaced. Honestly, I was sweatin those tires at first, but I decided to keep them at max pressure and make 65 my max mph. No problem. I do use a tpms and have had no noticeable air pressure swings. Truthfully, I'll be glad to get those China bombs off, although they are E rated, I do get some sway because of them, I'm looking forward to getting a fresh set of Carlisle's on board.
Why not the best rated tire today - Goodyear Endurance
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:38 PM   #27

I've done alot of research on this tire issue, I'm not convinced that the GY tire is the better tire. GY probably has greater brand recognition, but I'm aware of some past issues with the Endurance tire that GY never owned up to. On other units I've owned in the past, I've not had any problems with Carlisle's tires.
BigCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:41 PM   #28

Quote:
I've done alot of research on this tire issue, I'm not convinced that the GY tire is the better tire. GY probably has greater brand recognition, but I'm aware of some past issues with the Endurance tire that GY never owned up to. On other units I've owned in the past, I've not had any problems with Carlisle's tires.
Are you sure you are not confusing the Endurance with the older Marathon? Even Goodyear learned there lesson with having tires made in china..

I am a member off several camping forums and have never read a bad comment on the Endurance, and NO, I don't work for GY
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:56 AM   #29

Well, the original Carlisle tires's reputation of poor quality ranked with the poor reputation of the original GY Marathon.

However, Carlisle, like GY, re-engineered their tire. I think both are very good tires now.

Quote:

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote