Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-15-2021, 05:34 AM   #1

Tire Pressure

I have a X23B with 14 inch tire. It calls for 65 psi. I’m traveling from Ohio to Utah. Should I maintain 65 psi?
Jimbobr549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 05:45 AM   #2
Site Team

If those are the original tires and the sticker on the trailer shows the recommended cold pressure, that is what I would use. On trailers it usually corresponds to the max pressure listed on the tire sidewall.

Check it when before you leave and before driving the first thing daily.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 06:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbobr549 View Post
I have a X23B with 14 inch tire. It calls for 65 psi. I’m traveling from Ohio to Utah. Should I maintain 65 psi?
Maintain? No. Start each driving day at 65 psi *cold*. The pressure will rise as the tire temps increase from friction and sun, no worries. You should not let air out of your tires to adjust pressure throughout the day.

But... Do you have a TPMS? You should!! My recommendation is based on hard-won experience. While driving you have very little idea what's going on back there, and you need to know if you have a tire pressure loss.

Safe travels!

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 06:51 AM   #4

Agree that if they are the original tires, go with the recommended cold pressure on the trailer sticker. If they are replacements, the tire manufacturer may be able to help with cold inflation pressure. I changed mine out to Goodyear Endurance 205/75R14 and use the Goodyear load chart to set my cold pressure. Helps to know the approx weight on each tire when using the chart. I have found that with my setup, I can inflate tires to 50 psi cold and my rig tows smoother and bounces less.

Here is the link for the chart: https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf
mrmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 06:53 AM   #5
Site Team

A TPMS can be your best investment for peace of mind while towing.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 08-15-2021, 08:23 AM   #6

After loosing a wheel well, cabinet, and sheet floor in a popup, I can guarantee a tpms system is cheaper.
Old and soft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 08:38 AM   #7

My trailer sticker says 65 for the original tires, now I have E rated tires and the max cold on the tire says 80psi. I’m unable to find a load chart for the tires so I have them at 75 psi cold. I do have a tpms on the tires to watch the psi and temps, during the heat of the day while driving they’ll get up to 79psi. I’ve asked the question in several places if I should use the trailer sticker or the tire and got so many mixed opinions so I keep them at 75 cold. So far no problems seems to handle good
Bobstekeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 09:02 AM   #8

Tires are rated at max pressure to carry max load. Jayco and everyone else puts the minimum tire to carry the maximum load. So yep, sidewall or vehicle sticker pressure with originals. As above, if replaced go with mfg. chart.
BUT - tires are also rated by maximum speed. And low end original equipment Chinese tires are often rated at 65 mph MAX!!!! That means if you run at 70 or 75, especially as they age, you have a real good chance of blowing them out even if you have the right pressure.

And then there is also the problem of overloading which is another topic.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 10:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobstekeur View Post
My trailer sticker says 65 for the original tires, now I have E rated tires and the max cold on the tire says 80psi. I’m unable to find a load chart for the tires so I have them at 75 psi cold. I do have a tpms on the tires to watch the psi and temps, during the heat of the day while driving they’ll get up to 79psi. I’ve asked the question in several places if I should use the trailer sticker or the tire and got so many mixed opinions so I keep them at 75 cold. So far no problems seems to handle good
I'm in the same camp. I just finished a 9500km trip with the tires at 75psi cold. Mid-day they were around 84-86psi.

My Carlisles now have 30,000km on them and this is the 4th seasons I'm on them.

I will probably change them after my 6th season. They are wearing really well, and I store my RV indoors. Carlisles have been getting really good reviews.
Old 11-12-2021, 01:45 PM   #10

Our dealership recommended 70 psi but the sticker recommends 80 psi. We have the TPMS system and we are getting an alert that the psi is at 69. OK for 70 psi recommendation not so much if the alert should be set at 80 psi. The alert is set at 150 degrees for Temperature, have any recommendations what temperature should be set at?When we fill the tires which are Off-Road nitrogen filled, should we just use regular air if we keep on top of the psi?
linmicsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 04:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by linmicsar View Post
Our dealership recommended 70 psi but the sticker recommends 80 psi. We have the TPMS system and we are getting an alert that the psi is at 69. OK for 70 psi recommendation not so much if the alert should be set at 80 psi. The alert is set at 150 degrees for Temperature, have any recommendations what temperature should be set at?When we fill the tires which are Off-Road nitrogen filled, should we just use regular air if we keep on top of the psi?
Well, since 78% of our air is Nitrogen, I'd ay you were safe topping with regular air.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 11:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
A TPMS can be your best investment for peace of mind while towing.
if you are checking your tires daily then I don't buy it...

a TPMS is good, but it won't tell you before you hit something and the tire blows... it will tell you at the same time you hear the tire pop....

Don't bet it all on a TPMS saving the day.
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 02:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post

a TPMS is good, but it won't tell you before you hit something and the tire blows... it will tell you at the same time you hear the tire pop....

Not at all true. A TPMS will let you know if you have a slow, before your tire completely fails. Also, I know plenty of people that have had a complete tire failure and didn't know about it until the tire shredded and started to destroy the side of the camper.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 02:55 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:

It is a good investment but I believe in "Trust but verify" also. A slow leak or a overheating brake shoe can and has been identified by my TPMS. It is the best money I have spent and it does provide piece of mind if you let it. When you are driving 65 mph down the road, it's about the best thing you have to keep you informed about your tires.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 11-18-2021, 04:13 PM   #15

Quote:

I’ve only had one tire blow (go flat) in the six years of ownsership.
I didn’t have a TPMS and I was on the highway driving thru construction and the lanes were ‘swerving’ back & forth. My Chinabomb tire popped (sidewall busted) and I didn’t even hear it. Luckily another driver pulled up beside me to inform me of the flat tire. Also luckily the 2nd axle tire kept it going and no other damage was done. So my point is if I did have TPMS I would have known immediately when it happened, not having to wait for another driver to let me know.
I replaced all tires with Goodyear Endurance.
Good luck

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 04:20 PM   #16

I live at 8800 feet elevation. When we travel anywhere, there is a lot of difference in elevation and ambient air pressure. This makes a difference in gage pressure of tires.
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 10:36 AM   #17

I had a 23j with the same size tires. If I traveled a long distance with the trailer again I would replace all tires before I started on the trip. I had a couple blow out (it was hot when we were traveling). Trying to find replacement tires on the road was difficult.
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote