Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-03-2016, 08:02 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRay View Post
Two things that came out of this Thread":

Just because someone works at a Tire store, it doesn't make them an expert on tires, tire pressure, towing, or your particular situation.

Sadly, this is true in WAY too many situations / industries / stores today. And in the RV industry we hear it again and again. "The salesman at my dealer told me that hooking the propane line to the water input was the best way to winterize the trailer!"

The guy/gal at the tire store that confidently tells you what tires you should buy - or how you should use them - was probably working at BestBuy a week ago - and didn't know anything about electronics either. Yet we humans WANT to "believe" when we're talking with someone who has a name tag that says "Ask Me! I'm the expert!"

The other thing that is obvious from this thread is that this is NOT a SIMPLE subject. There are a huge number of variables, factors and issues. But it is important for a vehicle owner to educate themselves on tires.

Who to believe if not salespersons? Well, I don't put nearly as much faith in "engineers" as others in this thread. It's not that I don't think they know of what they speak. It's that, having worked with and around engineers my whole career, I can't count the number of times I've heard management say:
"Yes, I know that's what the engineering says but if we want to sell this we have to . . . "
"Yes, I know that's what the engineering says but to make a profit we have to . . . ."
"Yes, I know that's what the engineering says but to get this past the FCC we have to . . . . "
"Yes, I know that's what the engineering says but our Lawyers say . . ."

So my personal, informed decision after reading this and other treads, is to consider the door sticker as a "Recommendation" (which is the wording my door sticker uses) that produces the best ride and best gas economy in the truck as it came from the factory. I'll take the Max. Pressure on the side of the tire as just that - a maximum that tire may safely be inflated to. And I'll run my tires somewhere between the door sticker and the max pressure where it makes a combination of sidewall and ride best when I'm towing. And I'll keep a close watch on my TPM system and tire temperature.

YMMV
LOL I hear you about engineer LOL ....they are a strange species, but they are a necessity .....

Your approach to tire pressure is a good one, for you, because its for your taste, application and seat of the pants feeling, its good for you, not neccessarely good for someone else or for the tires and or vehicle

At the end we are all free to do what we want , but the authority isnt me nor the teenagers at pep boys...we have to rely on one official source only after that one is free to inflate or deflate his tires to HIS preference and taking the good and the bad coming from this action.....

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:04 AM   #32

Here's what my manual says about proper inflation:
The recommended cold tire inflation pressure, shown on the label, is the minimum amount of air pressure needed to support your vehicle’s maximum load carrying capacity.

No where does my manual say that you should not inflate the tires beyond what the door sticker says. The above statement infers that you can certainly increase the PSI to better support the load. And personal experience in 20+ years of towing says yes, the towing experience is dramatically improved by increasing the PSI on my rear tires.

That said I run my rear tires at 48 PSI when towing.

When not towing I run the tires at the pressure recommend on the door sticker.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:11 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Here's what my manual says about proper inflation:
The recommended cold tire inflation pressure, shown on the label, is the minimum amount of air pressure needed to support your vehicle’s maximum load carrying capacity.

No where does my manual say that you should not inflate the tires beyond what the door sticker says. The above statement infers that you can certainly increase the PSI to better support the load. And personal experience in 20+ years of towing says yes, the towing experience is dramatically improved by increasing the PSI on my rear tires.

That said I run my rear tires at 48 PSI when towing.

When not towing I run the tires at the pressure recommend on the door sticker.
I agree with you nowhere they say that you cannot.....nor that you have to.

Yes its a recommendation I would say based on scientific evidence, not on the flavor of the month.

For the best overall performance and durability its the pressure on the placard.

Higher pressure might help a P rated tire, but IMHO a truck should not come with car tires, I would guess that many of the squirrily truck behavior report comes from this type of tires.

Now how much to add for as you say.... a better support... for the weight added to the truck ? A bit ? a bit more ? Much more ?

How much is too much ? At what point are we going to ride on a skateboard ? At what point are we going to wear out the center of the tread prematurely ? Since the tire ride at higher pressure at what pressure are we going to add additional stress to the suspension ?

Its to the driver to decide for his application and its approximate and subjective, with no scientific base.

The placard is the one fits all solution, a safe one , done by professional any other suggestion is an opinion...

Im not saying that the peoples increasing the pressure are doing something wrong, Im just saying that its wrong to become a Monday morning engineer and promoting our own truth.

Doc Brown do not take me wrong I' m not saying that is what your doing , im talking in general , and I always like a good debate :-)

Thanks God we live in a free world

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 04:42 AM   #34

My current truck came with OEM 17" LRE tires. The yellow door placard recommends 55# front and 60# rear, and that what I keep them at. However, I pull a relatively light weight TT which has a GVWR of 4950#. Should I get a new trailer that adds a couple of grand in weight, I will revisit the TV tire pressure. I may leave it as it is, or I may add some air, especially in the rear.

All of that said, my previous truck, which had OEM 16# P tires, pulled the same trailer I have now 7900+ miles cross country in 2014. I did air the P's up to their max pressure, 44# if I remember correctly. I can say the truck handled the trailer extremely well. Coupled with my Equal-i-zer hitch, the entire combo, TV and TT, behaved in a most civilized way.

Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote