Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-23-2019, 03:01 PM   #41

I just bought 4 new Carlisle Radial Trail HD tires for my 27DSRL. These too are a load range D with a max inflation of 65 psi but I can't find an inflation chart for these tires anywhere. Can anyone suggest where I could get that information? Thanks.
jlawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:44 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Why do you believe that inflating trailer tires to what a tire manufacturer says is the "maximum" is an "urban legend"?
The tire manufacturer shows the maximum pressure on their inflation chart so do you agree that the "maximum" is a safe pressure for someone unsure of what their trailer tire load really is?
For a given load, do you agree that a tire inflated to pressures below what the manufacturer inflation chart shows, it is then, by definition, underinflated?
Do you believe that underinflated tires are unsafe?

Sorry but the inflation numbers on the Load /Infl tables are the minimum inflation needed to carry the stated load.

The "Maximum Load" molded on the tire sidewall is the most that tire can carry when inflated to the pressure molded on the tire sidewall.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:29 PM   #43

Thanks Tireman....I was waiting for someone to say that...

I've been running the max inflation pressure for my 4 boat tires when I take off across the desert in the summer heat. I've never had an issue in 15 years of towing that 2 ton sailboat all over the country...including zipping across the desert in July to go to California. I run my Yukon XL truck tires within 4 lbs of max (40psi out of 44psi) all the time. I get excellent tread wear, even wear too, a nice ride...and normally get over 70K miles on those Michelins. The only reason I change out boat trailer tires is when they hit 5 years old, I get rid of them.

Something else to think about. Over 12 years ago, I wrote a letter to Costco Tires when I bought my first truck tires from them. The installers insisted I only inflate to the factory pressure on the door...35lbs. The tires are rated for 44lbs for max load. If I did that, I would be about 20% under inflated towing my boat. I asked Costco if they were willing to be held liable for damages if my underinflated tires blew while towing the boat across the desert in 110 degree heat. A month afterwards, I came in and asked for 44 cold on the tires and got no argument. I think they must have received more than just my one letter. Bottom line....talking tires is like talking oil...everyone has their opinion. That's fine, just please error on the side of caution. Weight your load, inflate your tires, check them with a temp gun each day on the road. DO that and you should be good.

Now don't get me started on bearings....mine have lasted for 15 years on the boat..with dunkings in salt and fresh water. Still run cool...and I do NOT go with the standard "pack them each and every year"...blah, blah. Does anyone repack their car bearings each year? Keep them clean and greased...they will last. I got that tip from an engineer who works with those Bearing Buddies...
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:07 PM   #44

I had to copy & paste this so the format is a bit different:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ
Why do you believe that inflating trailer tires to what a tire manufacturer says is the "maximum" is an "urban legend"?
The tire manufacturer shows the maximum pressure on their inflation chart so do you agree that the "maximum" is a safe pressure for someone unsure of what their trailer tire load really is?
For a given load, do you agree that a tire inflated to pressures below what the manufacturer inflation chart shows, it is then, by definition, underinflated?
Do you believe that underinflated tires are unsafe?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Tireman9

Sorry but the inflation numbers on the Load /Infl tables are the minimum inflation needed to carry the stated load.

The "Maximum Load" molded on the tire sidewall is the most that tire can carry when inflated to the pressure molded on the tire sidewall.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
OldmanAZ

The Load/Infl tables include the load the tire can carry when inflated to the maximum for the tire. My interpretation is that, if you follow the chart of load and pressures for the tire, all the pressures are safe for the tire including the maximum psi. In addition, the maximum PSI is safe for the tire as long as the load does not exceed the load shown on the chart.

The maximum psi shown on the tire sidewall is the pressure at which the tire will safely support its maximum load rating.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 04:57 AM   #45

I installed Endurance tires as soon as they came out and went from a 205/14 to 215/14, something like 65mph to 87mph, 1680# to 2200#. My little ~3,500 GVW trailer came with Chinese tires rated for around 80# over GVW - not much leeway and not much confidence.

Really like Endurance. Run them between 60 and 65# cold and check often when traveling. Drive at 65-70, occasionally 75 mph. Sometimes run 40# in rear of Tahoe when towing instead of 35 all around. I have good quality gauges and inflater to make air pressure reasonably accurate.

When checking with Jayco about upgrading to a higher load tire they said it was okay for the stock rims but did not know the effect of trailer bounce on harder tires. After 23,000 miles my trailer is still mostly in one piece. Anything that doesn't work or is broken happened at the factory, not because of bumpy highway patches. And I'll confess to driving in the passenger car lane instead of the truck and trailer lane if the truck lane is really beat up and there is no traffic that I would interfere with in the car lane.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:31 PM   #46

Just couldn’t resist flogging the horse a little more. From goodyearrvtires.com: “Use the following guidelines to ensure proper tire inflation pressure for motorhomes and RV trailer tow vehicles: It then goes on to explain how to properly weigh your motor home or tow vehicle and selecting the proper tire pressure from the load inflation tables. Further down the page under a bold heading “Special Considerations”, it states “Unless trying to resolve poor ride quality problems with an RV trailer, it is recommended that trailer tires be inflated to the pressure indicated on the sidewall of the tire. Trailer tires experience significant lateral (side-to-side) loads due to vehicle sway from uneven roads or passing vehicles. Using the inflation pressure engraved on the sidewall will provide optimum load carrying capacity and minimize heat build-up.

So I will stick with Goodyear’s advice and inflate to the sidewall pressure. If I get a motor home I’ll follow the other procedure.
tbwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:58 PM   #47

There are solid scientific reasons to run the tire sidewall pressure, even if you don't require that much to support the measured load.

It is called " Interply Shear" and has been covered in detail on a few of my posts if you want to learn some facts.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:50 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
No arguement...? You sure?

Yes, I have tested my contact patch cool and at the end of a long day of towing in warm weather. I'm satisfied with 80 PSI. Thank you.
Ok, a difference of opinion, perhaps.

Wonder whose tires will have center treads worn out before the other?

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 06:12 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbwill View Post
Just couldn’t resist flogging the horse a little more. From goodyearrvtires.com: “Use the following guidelines to ensure proper tire inflation pressure for motorhomes and RV trailer tow vehicles: It then goes on to explain how to properly weigh your motor home or tow vehicle and selecting the proper tire pressure from the load inflation tables. Further down the page under a bold heading “Special Considerations”, it states “Unless trying to resolve poor ride quality problems with an RV trailer, it is recommended that trailer tires be inflated to the pressure indicated on the sidewall of the tire. Trailer tires experience significant lateral (side-to-side) loads due to vehicle sway from uneven roads or passing vehicles. Using the inflation pressure engraved on the sidewall will provide optimum load carrying capacity and minimize heat build-up....snip.
Thank you, tbwill, for flogging that horse one more time!

I had not seen the statement from Goodyear, but personally believed those facts and have always advocated the higher tire pres
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:27 PM   #50

It would be a good idea to call Goodyear and talk to a tire expert. Also, invest in a tire pressure/temp monitor system for peace of mind while travelling

ARMYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:51 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
Wonder whose tires will have center treads worn out before the other?
Talk about beating a dead horse. It's all good.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:34 AM   #52

Exact same trailer, exact same tires from DT. I have been running them at 65psi for about 10k miles. ZERO problems. Set them to 65 and enjoy the peace of mind.
210craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:39 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
Talk about beating a dead horse. It's all good.
One of America's Favorite Pastimes!
Attached Images

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:10 PM   #54

Go to 65psi you wont know a thing but have better carrying capacity Trust me they work great, im a goodyear dealer and have sold alot of endurances and everybody is real happy with them Have fun.
tireman is offline   Reply With Quote