Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-04-2020, 08:47 PM   #21

I must have just been lucky weighing my rigs and following the tire manufacturers charts for pressures and years of service...

47 years and I don't know how many thousands of miles, 48 states, 8 of the 13 Canadian Provinces and Territories, both multiple times,, towing or driving 10 different rigs, and not one flat tire.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:05 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I must have just been lucky weighing my rigs and following the tire manufacturers charts for pressures and years of service...

47 years and I don't know how many thousands of miles, 48 states, 8 of the 13 Canadian Provinces and Territories, both multiple times,, towing or driving 10 different rigs, and not one flat tire.
Same here!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 09:57 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
Quote:
In the absence of that exercise, I would (and have) simply inflate to max sidewall cold pressure and move on down the road.

I must disagree with this as the other side of this argument has stated above, an over inflated tire (i.e. at maximum allowed pressure) will not only wear the center of the tire faster but also puts less rubber on the road for traction.

Granted, traction is only needed to keep the rig on the road and maybe to aid in stopping!!

Murff
Absolutely valid point, especially for a tire on a drive axle or a steer axle. I would contend it would be less of an issue on a trailer tire that is not providing propulsion, or dealing with lateral forces like that on a steer axle, but rather being pulled down the road.

To a point.

I'm not talking about installing a LR E tire, inflated to 80 PSI on a lawn trailer. OP's trailer has GVWR of close to 10,000 lbs.

Again, the absolute right answer is to weigh it. But MANY people inflate to max sidewall, have for eons, and not had a pressure related failure, OR appreciable abnormal tire wear.

I have done this on several different trailers of varying types for as long as I've towed; and I too have never had a flat trailer tire. Knocking on wood right now!!

I wonder, has anyone here ever done the "chalk test" on LR E tire on a heavy trailer at pressures between 65 and 80? I haven't, but I think it may be enlightening, and certainly an interesting exercise. Further, has anyone ever actually observed excessive center wear on a trailer tire inflated to max PSI on a heavy trailer? Honest questions.

FWIW, I installed LR E tires on my 28BHBE (GVWR close to 10K), inflated them to 80 PSI cold (Max sidewall pressure) and the rig towed smooth as silk. Never had hot tires, never wandered, never observed excessive wear in the center, never had a problem braking, etc. No problems whatsoever doing that.

Let's not berate someone for following the advice of their trusted installer, or their experience. Going to max sidewall pressure on a trailer tire is a valid tactic even if it's not absolutely technically correct.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:22 AM   #24

so if you are not over loading the trailer then 65lbs is fine after all that is what was recommend before. The tires will do just fine based on the MAX trailer weight.

Now if you are over loading it and the axles are not able to handle the load and you are loading to tire capacity at 80lbs you found a new week point. IMO 15lbs more of air is inconsequential in the scheme of things... now if we want to start a thread about oil I am all in!
OP I did the same as you did (new goodyears from D rated to E rated) and ran mine at 65lbs then put them to 80lbs and used a laser thermometer driving across country. There was no discernible temp delta other than the sun side was higher than the shade side. 65lbs had the same reading as 80lbs based on about 200 miles of travel, so you can run them from 65 to 80lbs, there is really no concern over it.. don't over analyze it.. it's just air!
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:24 AM   #25
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
so if you are not over loading the trailer then 65lbs is fine after all that is what was recommend before. The tires will do just fine based on the MAX trailer weight.

Now if you are over loading it and the axles are not able to handle the load and you are loading to tire capacity at 80lbs you found a new week point. IMO 15lbs more of air is inconsequential in the scheme of things... now if we want to start a thread about oil I am all in!
OP I did the same as you did (new goodyears from D rated to E rated) and ran mine at 65lbs then put them to 80lbs and used a laser thermometer driving across country. There was no discernible temp delta other than the sun side was higher than the shade side. 65lbs had the same reading as 80lbs based on about 200 miles of travel, so you can run them from 65 to 80lbs, there is really no concern over it.. don't over analyze it.. it's just air!

Pretty much what a few of us have been saying.

One thing to keep in mind with trailer tires is that the axle(s) has no differential thus what happens as you make turns, back sharply into a storage space, or a camping spot is that you put a very large stress on the sidewalls. It would seem that if the tire has a recommended inflation of 80 lbs and you now have decided that you do not need that much air and put 65 lbs in them you have set the tire up for more sidewall flex than it would have at it's recommended inflation and this would weaken the sidewall.

This thought, of course, will give all of the tire engineers on this thread the opportunity to over engineer this observation.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:40 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
It would seem that if the tire has a recommended inflation of 80 lbs and you now have decided that you do not need that much air and put 65 lbs in them you have set the tire up for more sidewall flex than it would have at it's recommended inflation and this would weaken the sidewall.
If that was the case why wouldn't GOODYEAR or the other reputable tire companies, just say use the max pressure as listed on the sidewall? They don't, they specifically say to adjust based on the load carried.
Old 03-05-2020, 10:43 AM   #27
CAG

Quote:
If that was the case why wouldn't GOODYEAR or the other reputable tire companies, just say use the max pressure as listed on the sidewall? They don't, they specifically say to adjust based on the load carried.
Because they are engineers LOL.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 11:31 AM   #28

Quote:
If you look at the Goodyear tire chart, it gives recommended load limits for specific pressures, not the other way around. I don’t think anything says you can’t run at max pressure with less-than-capacity load. This from the chart:

TIRE LOAD LIMITS (LBS) AT VARIOUS COLD INFLATION PRESSURES (PSI) USED IN NORMAL HIGHWAY SERVICE*
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 11:51 AM   #29

For what it's worth.

From Goodyear

"Goodyear recommends that tires be inflated to the vehicle manufacturer's recommendations as found on the Vehicle Tire Information Door Placard or the Vehicle's owner's manual. The placard can be located on the door edge, doorpost, glove box, or fuel door. The recommended PSI should not be confused with the maximum cold inflation pressure that the tire is rated to hold, which is found on the sidewall."

From Michelin

"Be sure to weigh your vehicles, fully loaded, on a scale. Each axle, front and rear, and trailer must be weighed separately. Actual gross axle weights should be compared with the manufacturer's tire data book to determine the inflation pressure required.

The load carried by each individual front axle tire should be noted. If the maximum load-carrying capacity of the tire is below the actual scale weight, greater carrying capacity tires must be used, either a higher load index (load range or ply rating) or a larger tire size."

Both sites say do not use the pressure stamped on the sidewall of the tire.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:44 PM   #30

Hummph, I don't know of any truck drivers that keep changing the pressure in their tires as the trailer load changes. I ran 110 psi on the steering tires and 100 psi on the drives and trailer tires whether I weighed 80,000 pounds or 38,000 pounds.

For my trailer(28BHBE) Gross weight is 9250 pounds so I experimented with running them between 70 and 80 psi. Didn't really notice any difference.
So, I have been running them at 70 psi.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 01:54 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
For what it's worth.

From Goodyear

"Goodyear recommends that tires be inflated to the vehicle manufacturer's recommendations as found on the Vehicle Tire Information Door Placard or the Vehicle's owner's manual. The placard can be located on the door edge, doorpost, glove box, or fuel door. The recommended PSI should not be confused with the maximum cold inflation pressure that the tire is rated to hold, which is found on the sidewall."

From Michelin

"Be sure to weigh your vehicles, fully loaded, on a scale. Each axle, front and rear, and trailer must be weighed separately. Actual gross axle weights should be compared with the manufacturer's tire data book to determine the inflation pressure required.

The load carried by each individual front axle tire should be noted. If the maximum load-carrying capacity of the tire is below the actual scale weight, greater carrying capacity tires must be used, either a higher load index (load range or ply rating) or a larger tire size."

Both sites say do not use the pressure stamped on the sidewall of the tire.
Nothing in here says "do not use the pressure stamped on the sidewall"? The closest you get is a recommendation to use the chart, and an explanation of the difference. Further, it advises based on weight the pressure REQUIRED for the load. As in a minimum pressure requirement to carry that load.

The stated weights at various pressures are stated as "limits". I read that to say "so long as you don't exceed the load rating at the specified pressure".

Kind of like a speed limit. That posted sign is not a recommendation on how fast you should drive, it is the limit. At the limit or below (to an extent in many cases, like say the REQUIRED minimum pressure to carry the load maybe?) and you're good.

The load LIMIT of the tire at XX PSI is X,XXX.

ETA: Also, I think there's a bit of a difference between passenger tires and ST tires. Correct pressure seems to me to be more critical on a tire that is propelling or steering the vehicle.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 03-05-2020, 02:49 PM   #32

^ ^ Exactly! Well said.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 02:54 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Nothing in here says "do not use the pressure stamped on the sidewall"? The closest you get is a recommendation to use the chart, and an explanation of the difference. .
I think many have lost sight of why I made my original post..

CAG stated he was told by a TIRE STORE MANAGER..Use the pressure on the sidewall and ADD 5#. I responded since I put a 1,000 times more faith in the company that makes the tires than a guy who sells tires... Also following Goodyear and/or Michelin's recommendations has never let me down and when I had the Motor-homes made for a better ride and better handling than what JAYCO had on the door jam. Also as I said no flats or blowouts on the TT's & FW's to boot. I only replaced the tires per their recommendations unlike the link to Discount TIre who say every 3-4 yrs. The engineers say closely inspect at 5 (using the DOT date) and replace at 7 unless the inspections prove otherwise.
Old 03-05-2020, 03:11 PM   #34

Quote:
I think many have lost sight of why I made my original post..

CAG stated he was told by a TIRE STORE MANAGER..Use the pressure on the sidewall and ADD 5#. I responded since I put a 1,000 times more faith in the company that makes the tires than a guy who sells tires... Also following Goodyear and/or Michelin's recommendations has never let me down and when I had the Motor-homes made for a better ride and better handling than what JAYCO had on the door jam. Also as I said no flats or blowouts on the TT's & FW's to boot. I only replaced the tires per their recommendations unlike the link to Discount TIre who say every 3-4 yrs. The engineers say closely inspect at 5 (using the DOT date) and replace at 7 unless the inspections prove otherwise.
Ya, no argument here on that one. "Sidewall pressure + 5" is questionable advice IMO. Especially as a blanket recommendation for every situation.

I do remember reading (I think it was Maxxis IIRC, maybe it was Tire Rack?) a tire manufacturer or installer publishing that inflating a certain amount above the stated pressure would allow for a higher speed rating? If I had time I would go hunt that down...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 03-05-2020, 04:43 PM   #35

From Discount Tire's website

"Overinflation causes tires to suffer adverse effects, including a harsh ride, poor handling, and irregular wear. Overinflation occurs when tires are inflated with pressure exceeding the recommended PSI. Some drivers may even mistakenly overinflate their tires after reading the maximum pressure listed on the tire sidewall. This number represents the tire’s maximum pressure, not the vehicle’s recommended PSI range. Remember to always check the owner’s manual or tire placard for your vehicle’s correct tire pressure."

This can be viewed at

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/learn/tire-pressure

Michelin and Goodyear also say do not use the max pressure on the sidewall of the tire and it is on their website as well.

I'm out of it, do what you want to do and place whoever is with you at risk.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 05:14 PM   #36

"This thread..... gaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!"

Old 03-05-2020, 09:23 PM   #37

As you adjust your tire pressures take a piece of sidewalk chalk and draw several lines across the tread. 9, 3 and 12 o’clock then Drive in a straight line for 50-100 feet, inspect the lines you drew.
IF the lines wear OFF the OUTSIDE of the tread, and STAY on INSIDE, your tires are cuppingressures are too low
If the chalk wears OFF the INSIDE of the tread and STAYS on OUTSIDE: pressures are too high
If you have a relatively EVEN WEAR PATTERN of the chalk the pressures are ADEQUATE for EVEN TIRE WEAR.[/QUOTE]

KISS, works for me.....Do it before long trips, short weekend turn around trips, I make sure the TPMS reads a couple lbs under the max sidewall PSI and head out.

Gone Fishing!
SIGPIC
Nathan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:48 PM   #38

MHJ03, if you run 65 psi, the tires will have the same effect as running the D range tires that just got replaced. Those D tires were pretty close to the GVW limit. To get the full extra capacity of the E range tires you have to go to 80 psi. If I owned this unit, I would be at 75-80 psi. I would also weigh it.are you close to the max weight limit? Even weighing it once with an average load, would help a lot. It could be that the D rated tires were enough with a safety margin. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:31 PM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post

"This thread..... gaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!"
Murff...love the hat!!!

And I can't believe someone's driving that RV like THAT! WHAT are they thinking?? No one should drive down the highway without a spare tire on the back! (And I see a little spot of delamination on the side.)

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 12:13 AM   #40

Thanks, JFR!

Murff

Tags