Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-11-2015, 01:39 PM   #11
Site Team

Science time

Air is a mixture of 78% nitrogen, about 20% oxygen and assorted other gases. Because of the oxygen, it supports combustion. Its specific heat is 0.24 BTU per pound per degree Fahrenheit. Nitrogen is not able to support combustion. Its specific heat is 0.25 BTU per pound per degree Fahrenheit. Honestly, it doesn't make much sense to pay lots more for 0.01 more of BTU absorption!

Not enough difference to justify the expense unless you are driving a high speed race car. On a trailer or truck, nah!

First time you add air or if the place rips you off by not doing it correctly you have no way to go. Green caps! Whoopie

IMO, Nitrogen is the biggest consumer rip off since bottled water.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 02:23 PM   #12

I've had nitro in my truck since Dec. 1st and haven't lost anymore than a 1 lb. +/- in any of my tires. My F150 would lose a pound of air every month. The $14 it costs me to fill them with nitro is worth not having to go to the gas station every month or so to top off my tires. My TT needs air every time I pick it up from the yard. This past trip, I added at least a pound to every tire on the trailer. My truck, still good. Worth $14 to me.

Equal-I-Zerô WDH
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 02:30 PM   #13

Air Pressure

To clarify my earlier comment on T/P. I should should have been more specific on the 80 PSI. Was mainly addressing the TT. I just had my axles realigned at a Truck Rebuild Shop that has been in business 30 plus years. The owner said run the tires at 80 PSI on load range E tires which I have been doing for 20 years, so who do you believe. Still recommend calling the manufacturer customer service and address the issue. They mak!em. Would be interested to know what they say.
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 03:50 PM   #14
Site Team

Tire Pressure with New Tires

I put g614s on my trailer over a year ago. Never put any air in them yet. TP stays plus minus 2 lbs.
There are no laws against doing it any want you want.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote