Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-27-2019, 09:27 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to jamaddox
Tire Replacement and Trailer Weights

Here is something interesting I found from Jayco Customer support. Not sure if anyone else realized this.

I was in the market for new tires (I wanted to move up a load range) so I thought I would call Jayco about the tire pressure limit of the wheels.
At the same time I was noticing something odd about the way that the weights were calculated. Here is what I sent to Jayco:

'I have some weight questions. From reading all the info on my information stickers I can see that my GVWR is 7500lbs. I don't know
if that is attached to the truck or while I am camping in it. I ask because my GAWR is 3500lbs and the GVWR is 7500.
Adding both axles together only gives me 7000lbs. Is the other 500 supposed to be the estimated tongue weight?
If so then what happens to that weight when the camper is 'camped' and occupied by my family and a full water and black/grey tanks?

On a related question my tires can support approx 7040lbs which is just barely over what the axles can hold. If I wanted to go up a
load range on the tires can the rims hold the additional air pressure required. I have been told that the max pressure is on the
inside of the rims but I do not know if the inside means inside where the tire is mounted or the inside of the trailer.
If you can tell me then I could know before I bought new tires. The rims mentioned in the paperwork are 14 x 5.5 J. I do not want to go up to a 15 inch, as that could mean different rims, maybe different springs, maybe different axles, just go up in Load Range.
Here is my Info:
GVWR: 7500
GAWR: 3500
Tires: ST205/75R14C 50psi
Rims: 14 x 5.5 J
Tire Capacity: 1760 lbs'

The response I received is:
'The max amount of weight for your trailer would be the 7500 lbs. That would be composed of the total amount the running gear
ratings (tires/axles, whichever is lowest) and the maximum hitch rating. Not all of the weight of the trailer is carried by the axles,
some of it is carried by the tongue. The max amount of weight is the same while traveling down the road or being parked and camping.
With that being said, you would not want to travel at the max ratings. When you hit a bump in the road, it adds force to the trailer
and could make it exceed the weight ratings.

As far as the changing the load range for the tires, that I cannot answer. We buy the tire and rim in as a kit.
So I only know and have access to what the unit is built with. I know that you could get that answer from the vendor
or the tires. You can reach them on their website Tredit Tire Home or call them at 855-8-TREDIT.'

After talking with tredit customer support they were able to tell me that the wheels normally can hold 65 PSI but that the limit is stamped
on the part of the rim that is viewable but it is on the inside (toward the undercarriage of the trailer). I am going to verify that. I did
find out that I can by Goodyear Endurance ST205/75R14D and get them installed for around $500.00 so I am happy there.
Equalizer WDH with 10k bars
jamaddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 03:55 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaddox View Post
Here is something interesting I found from Jayco Customer support. Not sure if anyone else realized this.

I was in the market for new tires (I wanted to move up a load range) so I thought I would call Jayco about the tire pressure limit of the wheels.
At the same time I was noticing something odd about the way that the weights were calculated. Here is what I sent to Jayco:

'I have some weight questions. From reading all the info on my information stickers I can see that my GVWR is 7500lbs. I don't know
if that is attached to the truck or while I am camping in it. I ask because my GAWR is 3500lbs and the GVWR is 7500.
Adding both axles together only gives me 7000lbs. Is the other 500 supposed to be the estimated tongue weight?
If so then what happens to that weight when the camper is 'camped' and occupied by my family and a full water and black/grey tanks?

On a related question my tires can support approx 7040lbs which is just barely over what the axles can hold. If I wanted to go up a
load range on the tires can the rims hold the additional air pressure required. I have been told that the max pressure is on the
inside of the rims but I do not know if the inside means inside where the tire is mounted or the inside of the trailer.
If you can tell me then I could know before I bought new tires. The rims mentioned in the paperwork are 14 x 5.5 J. I do not want to go up to a 15 inch, as that could mean different rims, maybe different springs, maybe different axles, just go up in Load Range.
Here is my Info:
GVWR: 7500
GAWR: 3500
Tires: ST205/75R14C 50psi
Rims: 14 x 5.5 J
Tire Capacity: 1760 lbs'

The response I received is:
'The max amount of weight for your trailer would be the 7500 lbs. That would be composed of the total amount the running gear
ratings (tires/axles, whichever is lowest) and the maximum hitch rating. Not all of the weight of the trailer is carried by the axles,
some of it is carried by the tongue. The max amount of weight is the same while traveling down the road or being parked and camping.
With that being said, you would not want to travel at the max ratings. When you hit a bump in the road, it adds force to the trailer
and could make it exceed the weight ratings.

As far as the changing the load range for the tires, that I cannot answer. We buy the tire and rim in as a kit.
So I only know and have access to what the unit is built with. I know that you could get that answer from the vendor
or the tires. You can reach them on their website Tredit Tire Home or call them at 855-8-TREDIT.'

After talking with tredit customer support they were able to tell me that the wheels normally can hold 65 PSI but that the limit is stamped
on the part of the rim that is viewable but it is on the inside (toward the undercarriage of the trailer). I am going to verify that. I did
find out that I can by Goodyear Endurance ST205/75R14D and get them installed for around $500.00 so I am happy there.

AND, what did you find was the max pressure stamped on the backside of the rim?

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 06:39 PM   #3

I'm pretty sure that the customer service person was full of crap about the answer regarding the weight added during a bump. If that were the case every trailer ever made would be overloaded most of the time. I'm pretty sure that any engineer worth this calculator (I was going to say slide rule) would include impact loads from bumps in the road to any load calculation.

Etrailer agrees with me: https://www.etrailer.com/question-120482.html
Johnny Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:21 PM   #4

Just something to point out that is often overlooked. The pressure rating of the valve stems. I like to use the hi TR600HP ones on a lot of the wheels. You can do research on the valves stems and find the pressure ratings. As for the pressure rating for the wheels most of the time I find it stamped (on steel) on the inner part of the wheel viewed from the back side. You might have to use a rag and wipe off some grim. On aluminum its on the back side of the face of the wheel most the time.
PistonSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:43 PM   #5

It has been too wet and nasty to crawl under there. I will attempt that this weekend
Old 02-28-2019, 07:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Lightning View Post
I'm pretty sure that the customer service person was full of crap about the answer regarding the weight added during a bump. If that were the case every trailer ever made would be overloaded most of the time. I'm pretty sure that any engineer worth this calculator (I was going to say slide rule) would include impact loads from bumps in the road to any load calculation.

Etrailer agrees with me: https://www.etrailer.com/question-120482.html

Yeah I thought that was odd also but did not want to pick a fight. However she as probably on to something just using the wrong way to describe
Old 02-28-2019, 07:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonSlap View Post
Just something to point out that is often overlooked. The pressure rating of the valve stems. I like to use the hi TR600HP ones on a lot of the wheels. You can do research on the valves stems and find the pressure ratings. As for the pressure rating for the wheels most of the time I find it stamped (on steel) on the inner part of the wheel viewed from the back side. You might have to use a rag and wipe off some grim. On aluminum its on the back side of the face of the wheel most the time.

I will keep that in mind about the stems. I am going to have the tires installed at Raben in Clarksville and will have stainless steel stems put on because of my TPMS system.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:37 PM   #8

As for the tongue weight when disconnected. It is on the tongue jack.

Yes they build these things way to close. I too upgraded my tires to the next load rating.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
As for the tongue weight when disconnected. It is on the tongue jack.

Yes they build these things way to close. I too upgraded my tires to the next load rating.

Yeah I completely forgot about the tongue jack and embarrassed myself with Jayco. Still too rainy today to check the rim pressure maybe this weekend.

What I don’t understand is that tredit sells the endurance. It probably would only add 500 to the cost of the trailer. Why not put those on instead of the Rainer I have. Tredit says those are its best selling tire
Old 03-01-2019, 09:21 AM   #10

Yes they build these trailers way to close to the load max, mainly the axles being just rated enough to support the trailer, why do you think bent axles is such a prevalent problem in the industry? That is why having your trailer properly load balanced is so important, nose high or rear high and you are shifting an overloaded amount of weight to one axle. You can NEVER trust a dealership to setup your weight distribution hitch correctly. I have a friend that trusted that and has had to have the axle replaced twice already because it was carrying too much weight on one axle. Fortunately they did it under warranty but at some point they are going to say no.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:54 AM   #11

Actually my dealership has done well but since I bought a new truck I need to take it to scale. On my list to do right before I leave for my first trip
Old 03-05-2019, 07:38 AM   #12

I don't recall an answer to the question on whether the wheels can handle the additional pressure going from load range C to load range D. I needed new tires for my 2015 27 DSRL and I started working on it late last year. I had one wheel off the trailer so I was able to see what was stamped on it. I have aluminum SenDel T09 wheels. It is stamped Max Load 1900 lbs. There is nothing about a maximum PSI on the wheel unless it is inside the wheel and I still have the tire bead unbroken. I contacted Tredit Tire and they promised an answer but after sending a repeat email to their customer service rep, I've got nothing. I decided to get Maxxis M8008 LR C as I never got my answer. I was supposed to get them installed today, but when I called Discount Tire yesterday to confirm the installation, they said they could not get the Maxxis and now are offering me the Goodyear Endurance LR D. They said I do not need to worry about the wheels (but they are trying to make a sale). Because of the intense cold, I'm going to reschedule the installation to Saturday.

Do you feel I can be comfortable with Load Range D tires on those wheels? I've noted the comment about valve stems and will discuss them with the installer.
redenbacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 08:08 AM   #13

I have Sendel T03 wheels on my trailer and they came wrapped in TowMax LR C tires. I pulled those off last year and went to the Goodyear Endurance LR D. I looked on the Sendel website and found that the max pressure rating for my wheels is 80psi.

It appears that your T09 are rated to either 75 or 80psi so you are good to go up in load range. I would actually recommend it.

T09SM | Sendel Wheels
Old 03-05-2019, 08:33 AM   #14

I wrote Jayco a few months back regarding PSI on my wheels. After 4 or 5 days I received a reply saying based on my VIN # my unit was built with wheels rated for 90psi.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:23 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by redenbacher View Post
I decided to get Maxxis M8008 LR C as I never got my answer. I was supposed to get them installed today, but when I called Discount Tire yesterday to confirm the installation, they said they could not get the Maxxis and now are offering me the Goodyear Endurance LR D. They said I do not need to worry about the wheels (but they are trying to make a sale). Because of the intense cold, I'm going to reschedule the installation to Saturday.
FWIW - my recent experience with Discount (Louisville KY) was similar......ended up ordering the Maxxis M8008 tires and metal valve stems from Amazon (225x75Rx15E) 104.00 per tire, delivered. Local tire shop will install and balance for 15 bucks a tire.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:06 PM   #16

So as a followup, I called Discount Tire and told them I'd like to reschedule installation for Saturday. The weather today in northern Indiana is just brutal and I wanted to spend a little time working on my options. Thanks, all, for your comments. Every year, SenDel has been increasing their ratings. My T09's from 2015 are more like the T03's of today. My load rating is 1900 lbs. The T09 14 x 5.5 that are made today have a load rating of 2200 lbs and 75 psi. It looks like the current wheels that have 1900 lb load rating have a max pressure of 65 psi so I am assuming the wheels of 2015 that had a load rating of 1900 lbs also had a 65 psi. With that assumption, I am comfortable going with the Goodyear Endurance LR D tires.

Now for the rest of the story. The Discount Tire website has the Goodyears for sale at $107 each. They were willing to give them to for the price they quoted for the Maxxis, which was $92 each. When I told them the Maxxis has now been reduced further on their website to $80 each, they said they'd match that price. So, I getting four tires that could have cost me $107 each to only $80. I feel like I've got a good deal going there. As a side note, Discount Tire was the only retailer in the area selling Maxxis but there are a bunch of folks selling the Goodyear's.
redenbacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 04:27 PM   #17

What do you all use for a spare tire? The one that is there, a take off or a new tire?
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 05:17 PM   #18

Yes get metal bolt in valves. Silver looking but really are Nickleplated Brass. they are good for 200 psi and I would consider a must have when you run TPMS, which is definatelly a MUST have.
Have sentyou a PM on some other info.

Yes the RV companies cut the load capacity close. in 2017 RVIA established a new requirement that tire capacity needs to be at least 110% of axle capacity. They can get there by simply putting a lower GAWR on the sticker which of course cuts back on what you can safely carry in the RV.
Personally I suggest a mi9nimum of 15% reserve load.
FYI cars ruunin the 30+% Reserve load which is one reason they have fewer tire problems.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:41 AM   #19

Fortunately, my J Flight 23RB has plenty of reserve. It has 32.3% reserve when measuring the tires (8600#) to the GVWR (6500#). Relative to the axles, also pretty good. 22.9% reserve when measuring the tires (8600#) to the axles (7000#).

I agree about too many manufacturers cutting it way to close on the margins.

That's why there so many tires exploding earlier especially with lessor quality tires being used. I think the older Chinese "off brands" including the older GY Marathons produced in China would have lasted longer if the margins hadn't been minuscule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Yes get metal bolt in valves. Silver looking but really are Nickleplated Brass. they are good for 200 psi and I would consider a must have when you run TPMS, which is definatelly a MUST have.
Have sentyou a PM on some other info.

Yes the RV companies cut the load capacity close. in 2017 RVIA established a new requirement that tire capacity needs to be at least 110% of axle capacity. They can get there by simply putting a lower GAWR on the sticker which of course cuts back on what you can safely carry in the RV.
Personally I suggest a mi9nimum of 15% reserve load.
FYI cars ruunin the 30+% Reserve load which is one reason they have fewer tire problems.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:44 PM   #20

Finally able to get under my trailer and I did not find out the PSI but found some wheel codes. Oddly enough I found both an 02 and 09. Although the 09 was followed by 21

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5400.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	47685Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5399.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	47686