Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-01-2019, 09:35 AM   #1

Tire thread - front vs rear tires

Hi Guys,

I have China bomb (Rainier) tires on my 28DSBH. They are less than 3 years in service and I estimate the mileage at 12-14k miles.

I am planning to change to GY Endurance, just waiting for a good promotion.

Questions:

- generally, would you expect significant difference in the tread wear between front and rear axle? Attached are photos of my tires - sorry, I do not know how to rotate them. More wear is on the rear tire.

- is it normal tire wear after 12-14k miles? I know that usually people change RV tires based on the time, not mileage. However, I was wondering what is tread live of RV tires.

- Do people rotate RV tires?

- Should I buy 5 new tires or just keep the best China bomb as spare? I know that it would be the best to have 5 fresh tires, but I am just thinking about likelihood of using the spare.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
20190527_064720.jpg   20190527_064706.jpg  
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:45 AM   #2

I can’t reply to all your inquiries. But YES, there generally is a difference in tread wear on rear from front. Consider the rear axle as a “ drag axle” when cornering for instance, maneuvering into a campsite or making a significant turn radius. The rear tires are being “drug” around and not seamlessly tracking. They don’t pivot.
Because of this I would assume that rotating from front to back might give more miles to tire life.
Just my 2 cents worth. [emoji41]
BroRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:59 AM   #3

I would just buy the 4 and keep the RANIER for a "SHORT TERM USE" spare. My reasoning is, that in the 23+ years we towed we never had a flat or blow out and I think many here have had the same luck. Why have a new tire just sit and deteriorate?

As to the rear wearing as BroRobin said scuffing is one issue, also have you weighed each axle? If you're running equal pressures and you have more weight on the rear you would get the same type wear.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:03 AM   #4

My responses...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
snip...
Questions:
- generally, would you expect significant difference in the tread wear between front and rear axle? Attached are photos of my tires - sorry, I do not know how to rotate them. More wear is on the rear tire.
- is it normal tire wear after 12-14k miles? I know that usually people change RV tires based on the time, not mileage. However, I was wondering what is tread live of RV tires.
- Do people rotate RV tires? Every ~5,000mi I have mine rotated and balanced at no charge. That's one of the reasons why I buy my tires at Discount Tire.
- Should I buy 5 new tires or just keep the best China bomb as spare? I know that it would be the best to have 5 fresh tires, but I am just thinking about likelihood of using the spare. I changed to load rate E and just bought 4 new tires, (GY Endurance) for my 4 optional aluminum rims. The spare is on a steel rim may not have been OK with 80psi inflation.
Thanks!
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 12:06 PM   #5
Site Team

To shed light on your first question, The tires are radials, so swap the fronts to the rears, leaving them on the same side. It's the same way for vehicle tire rotation.
Trailer rated tires really don't have a mileage life rating like passenger car or truck tires. They are meant to be replaced at about five years, unless you wear them down earlier from a bunch of road miles. Hope this helps a little.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:12 PM   #6

Thank you Guys! All make sense. I will start rotating the new tires.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:55 PM   #7

Back in the early days of my RVing experience, I towed our old hybrid in a nose-down angle -- not severe, but noticeable to the naked eye. The front tires wore a lot faster than the rears. I figured it was because there was more weight on the front axle. Now, with our current Jayco, I'm a lot more experienced, and i have the WDH set up so the front of the trailer is 1/2" lower than the rear. That's about as good as I could get. And now that the trailer is level, I notice that the tires are wearing evenly. FWIW, we also have Rainiers on our trailer, still the originals, and the treadwear on all four look like the first photo.

It makes me think that the levelness of the trailer also has an effect on tire wear.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:51 PM   #8

This is a great point. I was thinking about this. My trailer is almost perfectly level when hitched up. I was afraid that it would drop too much if I lower the hitch... maybe worth a shot.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:45 PM   #9

Quote:
This is a great point. I was thinking about this. My trailer is almost perfectly level when hitched up. I was afraid that it would drop too much if I lower the hitch... maybe worth a shot.
Really makes no difference, that is the function of the equalizer between the springs; now if you have torsion axles it matters greatly, as there is no equalization between the axles
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 04:55 PM   #10

2016 white hawk rear axle bent

My 2016 28DSBH also came with Rainier tires. This spring I noticed excessive wear on the inside edge of the tread on the rear tires. The front tires had normal even wear. On further inspection I found the rear axle was bent and this is what caused the tires to wear out like they did.

We do a lot of boondocking and travel with a full fresh tank to the campsite. And since our favorite campground doesn't have a dump station we end up with pretty full black and gray tanks at the end of the week. The black tank is well back behind the rear axle and the extra weight is apparently too much for the axles on these trailers. The manual has a warning not to travel with full black or gray tanks. It also goes on to say that if you must travel with full tanks "reduce your speed until you reach a dumping station".

The axles have a 2 3/8 diameter and a GAWR of 3500lbs each. When your trailer is unloaded the axles should be curved up in the middle like a frown.
Attached Thumbnails
rear bent.jpg  
CampNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 05:43 PM   #11

Looking at the bottom tire it appears to me that the outside edges are more worn than the top one. This could be uneven load or it could mean that tire was a little low on pressure a lot of the time.

It is also possible you have the axel alignment off on one of the axeles.

I did not replace my Raineer spare, just upgraded one grade (C to D) and bought Goodyear Endurance pre-installed on new rims. Got a few bucks for the old Raineers on rims to a guy with a small boat trailer.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 03:19 PM   #12

This is situation after a couple thousands (2-3k) miles.

This is old tire that was on the trailer 14-16k miles. Both edges are worn, what IMO would suggest that this is a result of dragging the wheels when turning.

This one is a spare put in service 2-3k miles ago. The inner edge is worn. Does it meant that in fact the axle is bent and I need to replace it? This is fairly important question as I am planning to put new tires on.

Old 08-06-2019, 03:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Hi Guys,

- Should I buy 5 new tires or just keep the best China bomb as spare? I know that it would be the best to have 5 fresh tires, but I am just thinking about likelihood of using the spare.

Thanks!
I upgraded my tires to G’year G614’s and I went thru the same thought process. Initially I kept my original spare (unused) but it was a name I’d not heard of and hadn’t heard the name mentioned on JOF. Worrying about using it any kept me awake. I finally gave in and bought a G’year Endurance for my spare. It’s an ST tire vs LT but the same size and it’s a spare I know I can depend on for brief use. I considered the cost of a new tire vs the inconvenience of 2 tires failing (it happened to me in a 70 mi stretch) and possible damage to my 5th.
I like to save $$ when I can but some things I just can’t go cheap on.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:45 PM   #14
Site Team

Don't ever go cheap on tires!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 06:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Don't ever go cheap on tires!
X-2 can't be stressed enough.
Old 08-06-2019, 06:36 PM   #16

No answers, just observations...

Quote:
This is situation after a couple thousands (2-3k) miles.

This is old tire that was on the trailer 14-16k miles. Both edges are worn, what IMO would suggest that this is a result of dragging the wheels when turning.
Under inflation will also wear both edges.

This one is a spare put in service 2-3k miles ago. The inner edge is worn. Does it meant that in fact the axle is bent and I need to replace it? This is fairly important question as I am planning to put new tires on.
Inner edge tire wear will occur if the wheel bearing is too loose.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 06:46 PM   #17

Thanks oldmanAZ!

Tire pressure is something I am checking every time when towing. 50 psi when leaving the lot / campground. I would assume it is unlikely that the tire was under inflated.

Inner edge tire wear - the first time I noticed the inner edge wear was when I had wheel bearing failure. I thought at that time that bearing failure could have been the reason for this wear. I fixed the bearing and put the spare tire on. Now, only after 2-3k miles I noticed this wear again. This would suggest that maybe the axle is bent. I would prefer not to change the axle (obviously), but it appears that this could be needed.

I will however lift the trailer and check whether the wheel bearing is too loose.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:08 PM   #18

Found this post https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post754183

I think this is fairly clear that my axle needs to be replaced, as this appears to be design flaw. I read also that Grand Design had the same design flaw with their 2800 series and they started installing 4,400 lbs axles.

Anybody knows where to buy 3 inch 3500 lbs axle or whether it is possible to custom order 4,400 lbs axle and be able to use the drums, wheels, etc. from 3,500 lbs axle?
Old 08-09-2019, 09:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Found this post https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post754183

I think this is fairly clear that my axle needs to be replaced, as this appears to be design flaw. I read also that Grand Design had the same design flaw with their 2800 series and they started installing 4,400 lbs axles.

Anybody knows where to buy 3 inch 3500 lbs axle or whether it is possible to custom order 4,400 lbs axle and be able to use the drums, wheels, etc. from 3,500 lbs axle?
Axles used to be rated at 2500, 3500, 5000, 7000 or 10000; when did they come up with all of these inbetween ratings?
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 09:23 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I would just buy the 4 and keep the RANIER for a "SHORT TERM USE" spare. My reasoning is, that in the 23+ years we towed we never had a flat or blow out and I think many here have had the same luck. Why have a new tire just sit and deteriorate?

As to the rear wearing as BroRobin said scuffing is one issue, also have you weighed each axle? If you're running equal pressures and you have more weight on the rear you would get the same type wear.
I've had 3 occasions to put on my spare.

Once on my previous trailer, the steel belts broke in one of the Maxxis 8008 tires.

Last summer, i had 2 flats due to nails in a 4 week period. Once while in Yellowstone, and once while transiting Illinois.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote