Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-10-2020, 07:02 PM   #1

Tires

We have a new 2019 Jayco 28BHS. We tow it with 2017 Chevy Silverado double cab 4x4. I was told today that I should be running 10 ply tires on the truck for a camper that size. We would welcome any thoughts on this topic please. Happy camping.
SHMILY03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 08:07 PM   #2

I’m running Falken Wildpeak A/T3W on my TV. I came from Cooper tires, the Falkens have been a significant improvement in wear, noise and traction. I got Discount Tire to match the Amazon price of $117!
The tires are very solid towing heavy, no squirrelly feel and the traction has been very impressive both in snow and packed snow and equally impressive on wet or dry roads. There’s very minimal noise even if the windows are open. The picture is with 10,719 miles and they still look new! I am running Centramatic Balancers too so I’m sure that helps with the wear...

I’ve been running Falken’s on my Subaru for several years and just ordered a new set today I decided on the Wildpeak A/T’s trail instead of the Ziex ZE960’s.

Tirebuyer.com is giving a $50 rebate and 7% off the first order, Discount Tire actually matched that price too!

https://www.falkentire.com/tires/lig...peaka/t3w-tire
Attached Thumbnails
A4981C36-3917-4569-B199-4E8A9F88EC27.jpg  
Old 06-10-2020, 08:51 PM   #3

Thank you, I have looked at those tires.
SHMILY03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 02:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHMILY03 View Post
We have a new 2019 Jayco 28BHS. We tow it with 2017 Chevy Silverado double cab 4x4. I was told today that I should be running 10 ply tires on the truck for a camper that size. We would welcome any thoughts on this topic please. Happy camping.
At minimum you should be running LT load range E tires on your truck pulling that trailer. Typically load range E is 10 ply, but the terminology of 10 ply is outdated. Load range E has the sidewall strength that gives you the stability when pulling your trailer. Typically they run 80 psi.

If your truck has P (passenger) tires versus LT (light truck) tires you risk very soft sidewalls, which results in poor handling.

If you run upgrade to LT E tires you will definitely notice a better ride while towing, and a rougher ride when not towing. When not towing you can reduce the tire psi to 65 to improve the comfort.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote