Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-14-2016, 07:47 PM   #21

I got mine on Discoumt Tire's EBay direct store. Local tire shop was happy to mount, balance and install them for a reasonable charge. I backed my trailer up in front of one of their bays and they went to work. I could've put it IN the bay, but they were happy to just do it out front. They earned my repeat business that day.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:47 PM   #22

i asked him about balancing them he said they were just fine
geostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:49 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukenick1 View Post
I can't say I have heard to much about the Greenball tires.

What size tires and what load range do you have? IF possible, depending on the tire size, try stepping up a load range if you rims will handle it. Probably a few dollars more, but having a liitle more "cushion" for the tires loaded weight vs weight capacity. The more reserve the better, within reason.

It seems the more entry level tires are still limited to a 65mph speed rating. Our oem Ranier tires being one of them. Some manufactures have upped the speed rating, like Carlisle and Maxxis. Not sure about other brands. Not suggesting to tow at a higher speed, but again, having more "cushion" between travelled speed vs speed rating is good.

I have had good luck buying from our local Discount Tire. For both vehicles and trailers. They just have customers park the trailer outside on the cement pad so the jacks don't sink into the asphalt.

Good luck!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 12:30 AM   #24

You get what you pay for....

We bought our truck from my wife's friend from HS, and the tires weren't in the best shape. We tried a trip from Texas to Central Florida in July of 2013. Just before going into Mobile Bay Tunnel blew out a RR tire. Luckily a young gentlemen stopped and helped me change it out. Went to a Wal-Mart in Mobile, AL., and SPECIFICALLY asked for some heavier truck tires because I knew we were going to be pulling a U-Haul trailer back to Texas.

Finally getting into the hotel at 1 am. in Tallahassee,FL., Momma wasn't real thrilled about the other tires on the truck. Called WM in Tallahassee the next morning, and found some tires. Looked at the new pair Mobile put on, they put on passenger car tires. After store managers going back and forth, and almost 5 hours, I left with 4 new Dextero LT truck tires. Tallahassee gave me full credit for the tires Mobile put on, and $702 later, I drove out the door. BEST tires I've had in a long time. These are 10 ply light truck tires, ride decently, and have worn only about 4/32 in over 20,000 miles.

I ALWAYS get the road hazard and lifetime mount and balance with any tires I get. My wife had a '79 Mustang and I got some tires at Discount Tire along with the certificate. Two weeks later she ran over something and had a nail sticking out of the sidewall of the tire, couldn't be fixed. This was back in 1984, and the certificate cost a whopping $4.37 for a new tire. Money well spent.
kevcarr59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:40 AM   #25

Discount tire store will match any advertised price and mount your tires outside in their lot! Also do free air checks when you get ready to hit the road. If you buy from them, they will also rotate and balance every 5,000 miles as well.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:55 AM   #26
Site Team

Yes, road hazard on tires is one insurance that has paid off for me too. The shop I deal with will rotate them every 5K also at n/c with the road hazard. I usually buy from a national company so you can get them checked out no matter where you are.

So far, Firestone has been a good choice for me.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:08 AM   #27

I like to think Discount Tire has lost money on me buying road hazard insurance (every tire, every time, no exceptions), but I've bought a lot of tires there over the years, and never the cheap ones...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 03-22-2016, 09:08 AM   #28

No Discount Tires near me that I am aware of.
lukenick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:34 PM   #29

The Dextero's I got at WM are made by Bridgestone, and if it wasn't for that, I probably wouldn't have made the jump. They wanted me to get some General's they had but I'd never get those again. Didn't wear very well, at all.

When I got my new wheels, DT wouldn't mount one of my tires because it had a chunk taken out of the sidewall right by the bead. So they gave me a used tire so I could get the bad tire replaced. Went to WM and got the road hazard done and bought another new tire to make a pair, and put the other as a spare. WM gave me the DT used tire back, plus the tire they were to road hazard out. Basically got 4 new tires for the price of 2, and have a pair of good TV tires unmounted I can throw in the P/U bed when we go on a long trip, in case I have problems on the road.
kevcarr59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 12:57 PM   #30

I think I am finished with Discount Tire. I got my last truck tires there and it took forever and a day to get out. Tried to save a few bucks and just didn't like the service. We have a small family owned business that I should have gone to and will in the future. They have been in business since 1954, so its not a fly by night operation. They are not as cheap as Discount Tire, but the service makes up for it.
5thGenTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 01:06 PM   #31

On my last trailer, I ended up just buying tires already mounted on rims from etrailer.com. The cost difference between just a tire and one with a rim was less than what I would have paid for mounting. It was a lot easier too. I just took the old ones off and installed the new wheel.

These were on steel rims. I imagine YMMV depending on the wheel and rim wanted.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:51 PM   #32

I buy the very best tires available for all of my rolling stock. Michelin is my favorite.
Do not buy the cheapest tire from Joe's Crappy Brand Tire Shop. You will pay for that mistake.
In all of my travels I have only had three flats and one was my own fault.
The travels included 80 trips over the Alaska Highway, seven trips to Mexico (Cancun) from Alaska, two trips around the United States and several across Canada.
It is your families safety as well as the safety of your rig that you are risking by using "cheapo" tires. Not worth the risk.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:08 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thGenTexan View Post
I think I am finished with Discount Tire. I got my last truck tires there and it took forever and a day to get out. Tried to save a few bucks and just didn't like the service. We have a small family owned business that I should have gone to and will in the future. They have been in business since 1954, so its not a fly by night operation. They are not as cheap as Discount Tire, but the service makes up for it.
Our DT is ALWAYS packed, so sometimes it's slow getting in and out, but I've always had excellent service despite a bit of a wait.

When I had my trailer tires mounted by a local shop (local small business), I got prompt and excellent service, and it's closer to home. They will also perform an alignment if needed, which DT will not do. On the one hand, I will try to support a local small business whenever I can (being a small business owner myself, it's important). On the other hand, I like being able to hit a DT just about anywhere, nation wide if I have a problem.

I can say that the local shop will most likely get the first shot at my next set of tires, and I may even have them rotate my TV tires at next oil change because I would like them to check my alignment, so we will see how they do...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 03-24-2016, 08:20 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by havnfun View Post
I purchased 4 Maxxis 8008 8 ply tires from Discount Tires on the web with great price and quick delivery. Then had local tire shop mount them, no problem.
Then, at home I was admiring them and saw that my "new" tires were actually made 2 years ago. I complained to Discount and got nowhere except "send back for full refund." I figure it took 2 years off the life of my tires and I am not a happy camper with Discount. DO NOT BUY FROM DISCOUNT TIRES ON LINE! Local shops seem okay cause you can verify that the tires are recently produced.

Now, from all you tire experts.....am I overreacting on this? Are the tires still as good as tires produced last month or have they started 2 years of deterioration? Thanks,

Happy RVing,
Jeff
I bought 4 tires last spring this way from DTD and they were Maxxis 10 ply at 3 months old. Takes 2 to get from production to stock so they were new. Got a $100.00 gift card as well with the deal and FS.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:01 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack in Alaska View Post
I buy the very best tires available for all of my rolling stock. Michelin is my favorite.
Do not buy the cheapest tire from Joe's Crappy Brand Tire Shop. You will pay for that mistake.
+1