Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-10-2015, 10:19 AM   #11

MargieK53 - yay, glad the maiden voyage went well! I can't wait til our first trip.

We ended up going with the 185RB, partially because it has a full size queen. I can't imagine sleeping on that thin pad though - a memory foam mattress is in our future for sure.

llilith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:53 PM   #12

Memory foam!

Homersimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:43 AM   #13

Glad you got the baja. Our first tt was a baja 154bh , 2 years ago. It just looked way more badass than the reg version. Ironically we got soooo many compliments from old timers in giant RVs lamenting the small size.
Wifey made me trade up to a reg 23ft 5500, n now we are in the 5ver club we get no compliments now
doonkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by doonkin View Post
Glad you got the baja. Our first tt was a baja 154bh , 2 years ago. It just looked way more badass than the reg version. Ironically we got soooo many compliments from old timers in giant RVs lamenting the small size.
Wifey made me trade up to a reg 23ft 5500, n now we are in the 5ver club we get no compliments now
It does look badass! We are finally going to pick it up on Saturday, I can't wait.
:-)
llilith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 04:27 PM   #15

I purchased a 185RB Baja, primarily for Burning Man, and it'll live in Fernley, NV. I pick it up on the 24th. I went with the Baja for the larger water tank, 4 jacks, and the ground clearance. I know, the desert is totally flat, but some of the other places may not be (coming on and off the highway, etc). It was a minimal cost difference, and the propane tank being a bit larger is a nice insurance policy, especially if my wife and I start flying out there to travel around. The unit can pay for its yearly storage (or at least offset it) in the savings on hotel rooms if we use it for something besides burning man once a year, not counting if our family wants to use it for trips out there. The trip from Fernly to the desert is only 80 miles or so, which means I'm not sweating the single axle that much. I like the fact that the wall-mounted AC doesn't add to height (desert wind) and that it runs on a smaller generator. Plus, in the 185RB VS the 195RB, the AC is in the bed cubby when the curtain is pulled, meaning I'm cooling less of the trailer if I'm napping, even in desert sunshine. We'll see how it works - my usual tow vehicle will be a 1/2 ton 1500 crew cab. I won't have the chance to install WD hitches and such, so it's just going to be the truck and the electric brakes doing their thing. I like my Prodigy wireless brake controller, since it means I can switch tow vehicles in a minute Luckily, the towing is just 'up and down' once, with a lot of the trip being pretty straight. I'm also not going to be going very fast - traffic means it's a creep to get out of the event for half the trip or more, anyway. I'll let everyone know how it goes!
seanmcpherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmcpherson View Post
. The trip from Fernly to the desert is only 80 miles or so, which means I'm not sweating the single axle that much.
The Baja uplift gets you the better quality LT tires as compared to the ST tires on the standard models. We've put about 1000 miles on them so far and have a 2-week 2500 mile trip to the southwest coming up next month.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:37 PM   #17

Good point. That was also one of the items we considered! Mine are going to age out, not wear out, and I'll happily put tires on every couple years just in case. I'm very OCD about most safety items, and tires are *all* that's between my load and the road!

seanmcpherson is offline   Reply With Quote