Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-19-2016, 08:32 PM   #1

To Laminate or Not to Laminate, that is the question

Hello, looking to purchase our first TT.
Been looking around and believe we have decided on Jayco.
Have looked through Jay Feather, SLX, WH, and Flight and think Flight will be best option, bit heavier but solid construction with wood. Don't like curtains in SLX and the "squishy" floors of the Feather, SLX, and WH leave me turned off (unless that has changed). Also I like the headroom in the Flight (think WH is now taller too now but not sure).
Now that Flight has the laminated option, question is, is it worth it? If price was exactly the same is it worth it? Does it degrade the Flight in anyway or improve?
I like the look of the laminate and Eagle being higher next step only comes this way. I'm curious if the laminate is the way to go, it's not the first year of this option so would expect any issues to be worked out.
I'd just like to get some input from owners who have upgraded, own 2015+ models (only because I would expect construction to be improved over years so would hope the horror stories of <2014 delamination wouldn't be a concern anymore).

Also if Feather, SLX, or WH owners can give me some insight as to why those models might be a better long term investment I'm all ears. I'm hoping to keep this investment until we need to upgrade vs "have to".

Thanks
rv13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:59 PM   #2

The laminated option on the Flight is not 100% laminated. It of course is the wood stick frame, which I prefer, but the walls are not vacuum bonded. You have the filon laminated to luan via pinch roll method, then hung / clamped on the stud wall with a bonding adhesive. I prefer hung walls over laminated, so this was a decent compromise considering Jayco had what I wanted to offer when we purchased, and the manufactures I preferred went away in the recession.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:01 PM   #3

For what it's worth, here is some info from Jayco. Thanks to another forum member for sending this to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Sidewall Construction 1.PNG   Sidewall Construction 2.PNG  
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:39 AM   #4

Thanks John
So do you have the Fiberglass upgrade? How long? Any issues? Think it's worth it?
Old 09-20-2016, 11:58 AM   #5

We are currently looking at a White Hawk for our next trailer. We have had stick built in the past (Jayco 27BH) and now have a vacuum bonded rig (2012 Prime Time Tracer). I actually think the aluminum frame and vacuum bonded walls feel sturdier than our previous aluminum sided trailer. However, our current rig has a vacuum bonded floor and it sucks. It is developing squishy spots in certain high traffic areas that have me really concerned. This being said, we are considering the White Hawk because it has vacuum bonded sides, but now utilizes a 5/8" plywood floor (2016+ models) instead of vacuum bonded floor (2015 and below models). The Flight's are excellent trailers, and I would probably look harder at those if I had a TV that could handle higher trailer weights. If I got a Flight I would get the aluminum sides. I can't seem to wrap my head around a pinch rolled side on the fiberglass Flights, just seems like I would be paying for old technology, but the fiberglass sided Flights do look sharp though.

2001 Ford F-150 4x4 5.4

2012 Prime Time Tracer 2670BHS (sold)
2017 White Hawk 28DSBH (*Special Ordered w/ almost all the options in 10/16. Delivered on 5/19/17)
oldnnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:15 PM   #6

Yeah I definitely can understand the "old technology" but the "look" makes them seem more modern. I mean except for the Jay Flight (SLX) almost every other TT and 5W are laminate. Which makes the JF appear "old" even though it's not. I get it's everyone's preference.
Old 09-20-2016, 01:38 PM   #7

We have had our 2016 WH for a year and have no floor issues. I do put additional jack stand supports under the axels when set up for a week or more to make it rock solid. We like the clean look and I think it is a solid yet light weight unit.
GScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 02:52 PM   #8

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GScott View Post
We have had our 2016 WH for a year and have no floor issues. I do put additional jack stand supports under the axels when set up for a week or more to make it rock solid. We like the clean look and I think it is a solid yet light weight unit.
Yeah I think from 2015+ WH are now boards. Good to know.

Tags
durability, flight, laminate, quality