Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-30-2014, 03:19 PM   #11

I am not sure but here is a guess: Bypass closed and hot water heater electric left ON, pressure builds up and pushes the water back into the supply side, has to find a place to go so it finds the valve with the least resistance to holding it back. fills the bowl up. So look to see if the hot water heater is on electric, the switch is "ON" and look to see if the bypass valves are set to bypass. Otherwise there is no possible connection between the water heater and the toilet.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:38 PM   #12

Thanks so much, I'll ask my husband what things were set at. I don't know all the technical stuff about switches and such. I really should learn all that.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:02 PM   #13

My Jayco Bungalow did the same thing last winter. We left it set for 5 weeks so I drained all (I thought) of the water, disconnected the park water supply and went home for 5 weeks.
Upon arriving back at the RV late in the evening we decided to use a jug of water for the night and I would reconnect in the morning.
Well now.........I used the toilet before bed, stepped on the flush pedal and went to bed. Several hours later I heard this blood curdling scream and the wife yelling "there is water everywhere and the toilet is full of cold water. She had set down on it in the dark. Make yourself a mental image of that scene. All of her "parts" were in the very cold water. I stepped on the pedal again and it drained the bowl but it was slowly refilling; remember still not hooked to RV park water, tank empty, pump off???????????
The HW heater is a conventional 20 gal. household model and it is mounted about 3' above the RV floor in a cabinet. THat has to be the only source of water and it had to have drained back into the bowl after my 1st pedal push down. But I had drained all that ?????? WT_ is going on.??? I stepped on the pedal again and stuck a toilet brush in the hole to keep it open for the remainder of the night.
After hooking up the park water and refilling the system it all worked fine for 4+ months. All of the drains are open and hopefully everything is empty as the RV is now setting for 6 months and I am 4200 miles away.
It has to be a seeping toilet valve allowing back flow and the HW tank must not have been empty as I thought.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:50 PM   #14

I think our problem was that we tried rotating the HWH valve half way in an attempt to bring in less hot (more cold) water. (regulate the temp). That's probably why it leaked out. It seems fine now with the valve in the appropriate position. Have another new issue though, will start a new thread called "Oops, poked a hole in the exterior front panel". Ugh!
Old 05-17-2017, 07:53 PM   #15

Toilet

Did u ever figure this out? Ours does the same thing in storage.
Ron685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:25 AM   #16

Just wanted to add that, when we had a few issues with our original toilet, including the slow filling overnight, I installed a quarter turn shutoff behind the new replacement Thetford. I want to avoid a ruined trip just because of cheaply made toilet valves.

2013 Eagle 29.5RKS
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:35 AM   #17

Toilet bowl

Everything is turned off and nothing connected, elec or water. All tanks drained. Pressure is relieved in all water lines. Trailer put in covered storage. When we pick it up toilet is full of water!!! If we don't flush it before towing it slashes all over. I cannot figure out where it is coming from. The foot valve holds fine while hooked up and camping......it is not a bad foot valve or toilet would be filling under pressure. help.
Ron685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:40 AM   #18

It has to be a gravity drain (siphoning) from the hot water tank to the toilet. The toilet is probably the lowest point in the system and if the valve leaks water can drain from the hot water tank (If it is mounted higher than the toilet). Someone above mentioned that the toilet valve needs water pressure to close. If that is the case then it could work fine while hooked up and leak when not hooked up to water.