Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-12-2018, 04:35 PM   #1

Toilet. Is this normal?

When we have taken trips so far, we have gone to the bathroom and found water on the floor.
I assumed it was toilet water sloshing out from the bowl.
This trip, we did not have any water in the fresh tank for flushing, so I just rinsed the bowl with water I kept in a bottle in the kitchen sink. There was no water left in the bowl each time we would get on the road.
Is it normal to have some water on the floor after driving down the road. It looks to be about an eighth of a cup at the most, but I can't figure out where it's coming from now that I don't have water in the bowl while traveling.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALCOFLLANMTXsm.jpg
Octopus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 04:39 PM   #2

Not normal.
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 04:40 PM   #3

Any chance you have a small leak in the water plumbing coming to or behind the toilet? My rig had a loose fitting initially causing a small puddle whenever my water pump was on. Some hand-tightening of the connection cured it.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 04:48 PM   #4

We "thought" it was coming from the toilet... It wasn't. It was coming from the hot water connection under the bathroom sink, and running back behind the toilet. Sigh
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 05:02 PM   #5

You should always have some water in the bowl. When you get done flushing the toilet there should be a 1/2" or so of water in the bowl. It should be there until the next time the toilets used. No way can that slosh out. If it is then you're either driving like a a mad man or the roads you're on are 3rd world country types.
Sounds like you have a bad rubber seal on the round ball. Or the foot levers not totally retracting. Try pouring some cooking oil in the toilet and working the ball flusher a bit.
Ours gets a little dry every year it seems. I have some plumbers grease that I apply to it and that helps to lubricate it enough. If your flush pedal is retracting real slow then the seal is dry or the pedal mechanism needs lubricating.

As for the water on the floor I have no idea on that. Are you leaving the water pump on while traveling? It could be that one of the fittings is loose and slightly leaking.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 05:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
When we have taken trips so far, we have gone to the bathroom and found water on the floor.
I assumed it was toilet water sloshing out from the bowl.
This trip, we did not have any water in the fresh tank for flushing, so I just rinsed the bowl with water I kept in a bottle in the kitchen sink. There was no water left in the bowl each time we would get on the road.
Is it normal to have some water on the floor after driving down the road. It looks to be about an eighth of a cup at the most, but I can't figure out where it's coming from now that I don't have water in the bowl while traveling.

This may (or may not) be your problem but when I used to travel in my previous 5er, and left all windows and roof vents closed, the vacuum in the rig would suck water out of the sink traps. So, I started leaving one of the roof vents cracked open and the problem was (is) solved.
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:16 PM   #7

Nope, not normal.

Always be alarmed when you see water where it shouldn't be, and act on it quickly. Water generally flows or drips down, not up, so what's above the puddle? Use a finger to feel around any fittings above the puddle and if you find any moisture, correct it.

Our 26BH had a leaky fitting at the back of the toilet. The fitting tightens by hand. I tightened it a little, and then retightened it a couple more times as it continued to leak occasionally. Now, it seems to be watertight, but I know to keep an eye on it. If it gives me any more trouble, I'll replace the fitting with something better as others have done to correct this common problem in the 26BH (and other models).
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:59 AM   #8

On our 2017 26bh we will sometimes get water on the floor of the bathroom as well. Ours comes from condensation on the vent in the bathroom and after so much builds up it starts to drop on the floor.
Modraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Logans View Post
We "thought" it was coming from the toilet... It wasn't. It was coming from the hot water connection under the bathroom sink, and running back behind the toilet. Sigh

Also Check the "S" trap under the bathroom sink and the one under the tub/shower. You could have a loose one that's spilling that water during transit.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:22 PM   #10

Shower head.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
russellrhinesmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:39 PM   #11

We think we have discovered the source. It appears to be the toilet. It got worse over the course of our trip. We are taking the trailer in for warranty work in the morning. (The leak isn't the only thing that needs to be fixed, but it is the most urgent.)

We enjoyed our spring break trip. I did a bit more organizing; still finding my trailer chi. I'll try to post pictures sometime tomorrow.

Old 03-17-2018, 06:00 AM   #12

If it only leaks when you flush it, it's probably the vacuum valve on the back of the toilet. I've replaced mine twice and it only leaves a small amount of water each time. It's an easy and inexpensive repair.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 06:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
If it only leaks when you flush it, it's probably the vacuum valve on the back of the toilet. I've replaced mine twice and it only leaves a small amount of water each time. It's an easy and inexpensive repair.
I appreciate you telling me this for if/when the issue pops up again.
I'm still taking it to dealership and having them troubleshoot just to be sure and because it's under warranty.

I suspect we will be taking it back to dealership every time we return from a trip for about the first year. It seems like we're seeing problems that didn't pop up during PDI.

Old 03-17-2018, 07:47 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
I suspect we will be taking it back to dealership every time we return from a trip for about the first year. It seems like we're seeing problems that didn't pop up during PDI.

Annoying isn't it. I decided early on that I was going to learn to fix the small stuff myself even though it was under warranty. The toilet vacuum valve is a good example. Price about $20. Time to repair about 20 minutes. My dealership is about 70 miles away. Cost of fuel there and back towing, $50. Wait time for the fix, 2 weeks. No brainer for me. I understand if you're not mechanically inclined and that's OK as that's what warranties are for. Don't worry too much as all these things will get fixed.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote