Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-16-2017, 09:11 PM   #1

Toilet question.

Hey everyone I new to this big trailer thing and I'm learning a lot as I go but one thing I'm concerned about. I get a lot onodor from my toilet after it's been sitting for awhile I know some of this is normal. This time I decided to flush for a lot longer time than I normally do. My question is when looking down the pipe in the toilet should you see standing water? Is there a p trap ? Is this a problem. Should it just go straight down to the tank ? I just don't want to let this water sit if its not supposed to be there. Thanks for the info
Firerebel45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:12 PM   #2

My question too.
leeinmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:26 PM   #3

Yes a straight shot down into the black tank is normal. No need for a p trap as the valve in the toilet bowl seals completely.
Odor from the black tank can be dealt with a few different ways.
Tank chemicals
The Geo Method (Google it)
Or do nothing.

Also don't run your vent fan while flushing! That will help keep the smell down as well.

Cheers
Old 07-16-2017, 09:42 PM   #4

Keeping a little water in the toilet helps too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:45 PM   #5

Many (most?) drop straight down into the tank. Using a flashlight, you should see liquid or the bottom of the black tank. I believe some cases, the waste pipe below the toilet may be at an angle so you may not be able to look into the black tank.

As Subaru297 said, there are chemicals you can buy or consider using various ordinary cleaning products (water softeners, Dawn, Tide, dish washer soaps, etc.). Search this site or the internet. Personally, I'm leery of the 'GEO Method' formulas (yes, there are more that one) that include bleach. Bleach could be hard on dump valve seals.

Consider buying a short, clear extension for your sewer connection. Then you can see what is being flushed out of your black tank. Then you'll have a better idea of how long to flush. So far, odors have not been a problem for us. We flush the black tank after every dump and, so far, haven't used chemicals of any kind.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:25 AM   #6

Honestly I think the blue chemicals stink much worse than human waste, just use plenty of water in the bowl, and after the bomb has dropped down the shute, let it close, keep an inch or two of water in the bowl after you're done and like mentioned, the fan sucks up the stink from the black tank into the bathroom.

I don't use any of the previously mentioned methods, no chemicals, no detergents, no geo method. But I do have a clear elbow and the tank turbo to help clean it out.

Also, if you're hooked up to the sewer system, keep your tanks closed until they are 3/4 full, if your tanks are always open, you will get a lot of stink back flow from the park sewer system and that gets pretty bad, and usually has a lot of air flow

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:40 AM   #7

For most units you can see down into the tank. I think the main time this isn't the case is when there are multiple bathrooms like found in some of the really big 5th Wheels. Normally the Toy Haulers unless they have a second black tank.

When you say you flushed longer are you saying the black tank flush or flushing the toilet? I know last time I went to the dump station there was no line so I filled and dumped my black probably 10 times. I kind of wish my elbow was clear rather than an opaque white. I can make out the fluid is passing through but not that it is clear really. Of course a good flushing is good to do every now and then. However if you were talking good flushing as in running more water in the system that is also good. It helps the chemicals work better. Personally we use those scented packets and they need water to activate. They won't do much good if they are just thrown in a dry tank. I know using more water can be a challenge as the first tank we fill up is the black. So if we know we are on an extended trip we try and conserve. Over the 4th we were dry camping about 10 miles from the dump site and able to make it 5 days on a 22.5 gallon black tank with a family of 4. I didn't really want to break camp to go that far for a dump. It was that trip that I did extra work on cleaning out the black tank.

As mentioned we also cut off the vent fan in the bathroom while flushing. If you don't, you will draw fumes up from the black tank.