Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-22-2021, 06:27 PM   #1

Toilet struggles

New TT owner (2021 JayFeather 25rb).
I live this coach. It’s been amazing for me for many months straight, however I did not start using the toilet until last week. I put five gallons in and off things went.
After four days, and just me depositing into said toilet but three or four times, it is full. No pyramid. Just turd stew and it’s just up above the valve gate in the toilet.
My meter reads 1/3 full.
Black water tank is beyond full but with at most 10 gallons in it.
Shower grey tank is full.
Won’t be able to hook up and take to drain/dump until tomorrow.
I don’t understand what the issue is.
I have to make a warranty service appointment anyway for my battery sensor but I’m not sure when I can get the time to do that. I have shore power.
My toilet is an issue I need to resolve soon.
Thank you
dustyww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 06:42 PM   #2
CAG

firstly, you cannot believe the gauges. They are not accurate from the start. I am not sure what you are using in it but you should be using Happy Camper or something that biodegrades the contents. Lots of water. More water than solid. If you are up to the valve gate and only a few days in, you have developed a pyramid, even though you think not. Too little water too much solid material.

The gray tank does not take much to fill. Especially if you are doing full showers. Keep that valve open if you are connected. If not dump every 3-4 days.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 07:58 PM   #3

Per specs you have a 30 gallon tank, if you put in 5 gallons then you should have had 25 gallons of space available. My first thought is that your toilet is leaking water. A tiny flow will build up in a weeks time. On your grey tanks, you have 2 30 gallon tanks, but a long shower can use a lot of gallons. Add some kool aid or whatever to color the water in the toilet and come back and see if it is leaking into the black tank.

PS everyone agrees, the factory tank sensors are lowest quality and often poorly installed. Therefore, not to be trusted.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 10:04 PM   #4

I discovered end of season last year that my toilet is basically hourglass shaped above the floor hole, IIRC. Or maybe just below... Not sure.

Anyway, toilet paper and such was getting trapped there, prematurely building a pyramid, but it still allowed it to work.

I'm considering replacing the toilet because of this (if the hourglass is above floor, as I remember) because I didn't enjoy cleaning and pushing stuff downward with a stick. A literal stick from a tree.

Larry
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 01:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
Per specs you have a 30 gallon tank, if you put in 5 gallons then you should have had 25 gallons of space available. My first thought is that your toilet is leaking water. A tiny flow will build up in a weeks time. On your grey tanks, you have 2 30 gallon tanks, but a long shower can use a lot of gallons. Add some kool aid or whatever to color the water in the toilet and come back and see if it is leaking into the black tank.

PS everyone agrees, the factory tank sensors are lowest quality and often poorly installed. Therefore, not to be trusted.
I will do this after I dump and flush the black tank well today. Thank you
Old 01-23-2021, 01:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
firstly, you cannot believe the gauges. They are not accurate from the start. I am not sure what you are using in it but you should be using Happy Camper or something that biodegrades the contents. Lots of water. More water than solid. If you are up to the valve gate and only a few days in, you have developed a pyramid, even though you think not. Too little water too much solid material.

The gray tank does not take much to fill. Especially if you are doing full showers. Keep that valve open if you are connected. If not dump every 3-4 days.
I believe it to be a pyramid. If I find something different after I dump it today, I will post it. There has been no change in the level in the toilet not a change on the sensor
Old 01-23-2021, 04:35 PM   #7

Toilet issue resolved

Thank you for your help.
There indeed was a pyramid.
I did not know that there is a small tank above the black tank.
I will definitely use more water.
Thanks again.
(Note to self and newbies: Make CERTAIN that your black water valve is CLOSED before removing the drain cap)
Old 01-23-2021, 04:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyww View Post
Thank you for your help.
Thanks again.
(Note to self and newbies: Make CERTAIN that your black water valve is CLOSED before removing the drain cap)
I wonder if we are talking about the same thing. My trailer is in the shop, so I can't look.

Larry
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 09:35 PM   #9

For educational purposes... what is the story behind this:

"(Note to self and newbies: Make CERTAIN that your black water valve is CLOSED before removing the drain cap)"
Old 01-24-2021, 06:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyww View Post
Thank you for your help.
Thanks again.
Always keep the black tank closed unless dumping. use full bowl of water to poo. replace with two full bowls of water after dumping.

Please better explain this tank above the tank thing.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 07:33 AM   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Slow dissolving TP is the biggest problem for clogs. Some use a TP basket.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 07:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
We use the Scotts 1000 sheet rolls. They are available in pretty much any grocery store. They dissolve pretty rapidly.
Fastway E2 Trunnion WDH
deepsea5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 07:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamSpartacus View Post
For educational purposes... what is the story behind this:

"(Note to self and newbies: Make CERTAIN that your black water valve is CLOSED before removing the drain cap)"
I wonder if there was a Full Metal Jacket moment: "I am in a world of sh*t!" ?
Fastway E2 Trunnion WDH
deepsea5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 06:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
Yeah, our black tank gets only human solid and liquid waste and most kitchen liquids but no other solids and no paper. TP goes in a long orange newspaper sleeve tied off for later disposal, same type of bag we use to pick up after the hound. Never would have guessed how handy that huge box of newspaper bags would be when my son had his delivery route.

BTW our 25 gallon black tank (and a little goes in the grey tank) formula is 2/3 cup Dawn, 1/3 cup Calgon and a mixed scoop of Happy Camper followed by 2-3 gallons of water. Has worked fine for past 5 years. Sensors work or not, but we've learned to know when we need to dump.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollander Mutthaulers View Post
Yeah, our black tank gets only human solid and liquid waste and most kitchen liquids but no other solids and no paper. TP goes in a long orange newspaper sleeve tied off for later disposal, same type of bag we use to pick up after the hound. Never would have guessed how handy that huge box of newspaper bags would be when my son had his delivery route.

BTW our 25 gallon black tank (and a little goes in the grey tank) formula is 2/3 cup Dawn, 1/3 cup Calgon and a mixed scoop of Happy Camper followed by 2-3 gallons of water. Has worked fine for past 5 years. Sensors work or not, but we've learned to know when we need to dump.
I haven't dropped any toilet paper into my black tank for years, and when I dump everything slides out easily. I don't have to run a lot of extra water into the tank with each #2 flush either.

When it's empty and I look down the toilet and all I see is the black plastic at the bottom of the tank. I use a 30 ounce plastic coffee can, lined with a heavy duty produce bag from the grocery store for containing the used paper. Works well and the snap on lid seals out the odor.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:43 PM   #16

I'm not sure I understand the "no TP" rule.

We have 5 of us in our trailer and we manage just fine with the black tank with no special TP. We just use the same double ply we use at home. The key for us is using a good amount of water of you're using TP. I also "Prime" the tank with 2 or 3 gallons of water when we setup on our site.

Maybe we've just been lucky all these years.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:58 PM   #17

Lots of water and any paper I want and never an issue after many years and many differenttrailers. Always start with at least a couple gallons of water in the tank
tileguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 12:12 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
I'm not sure I understand the "no TP" rule.

We have 5 of us in our trailer and we manage just fine with the black tank with no special TP. We just use the same double ply we use at home. The key for us is using a good amount of water of you're using TP. I also "Prime" the tank with 2 or 3 gallons of water when we setup on our site.

Maybe we've just been lucky all these years.
When you're boondocking in the desert and have to use a waste tote to haul your waste to the dump station it's preferable to use as little extra water as possible in the black tank. Without the paper in the tank, all the thick sludge slides out easily when dumping it into the waste tote.

If I used TP and lots of water when boondocking, I'd have to haul waste to the dump station a couple times a week. By not using TP and extra water I can go two weeks or more without having to empty the black tank.

But if I was always in an RV park and hooked up to a sewer connection using TP and lots of water wouldn't be a problem.

That's why. And it's not a rule. It's a choice.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 02:48 PM   #19

Boondocking for a week or more, you deffenetly have to be more aware of everything you do. And make a conscience effort to use the smallest amount of everything as possible.
tileguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toilet clogging