Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-31-2019, 12:23 AM   #1

Toilet water pipes freezing

I have a 2017 Jayco Whitehawk 27dsrl summit edition with the Glacier package.
I am at a campsite in Colorado with electric so i have a small electric heather to keep down propane use, but i make sure the trailer heater still kicks in to feed warm air to the sealed underbelly which stops the pipes and tanks from freezing. This is working great for Kitchen, bathroom and shower which are all on the same side of the trailer but the toilet flush, which is on the opposite side, will freeze up sometime in the night. The pipes run through a small compartment accessed from the outside, I have tried a bulb in there which gives off some heat but it didnt help too much. Has anyone else had this problem and did you solve it? I really dont want to dismantle the underbelly cover and cause myself more problems.(its too cold for that at the moment anyway.
JonathanCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 06:20 AM   #2

Would it help to line the storage area with some thin Styrofoam insulation and then use the light bulb as a heat source?
Old 01-31-2019, 07:36 AM   #3

They make a self limiting heat tape that can be used on plastic pipe. Make sure you get the self limiting type not one controlled by a thermostat.
https://www.nventthermal.com/product...432-17783-1024
Old 01-31-2019, 08:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
Would it help to line the storage area with some thin Styrofoam insulation and then use the light bulb as a heat source?
The pipes pass through the storage area and down through a space between the internal walls, its somewhere down there the heat wasnt reaching far enough, I bought a small heater which has low setting and last night this seems to have worked, as it has a fan it was more likely to push warm air down through the gap, I am going to better insulate the storage area as well.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:10 AM   #5

Had the same thing in my TT. Everything would be fine but the back bathroom sink when things got really cold. Same as you, we ran a small heater in there and it thawed out. Must be some piping close to the outer perimeter that gets colder than the plumbing more toward the center is my guess. Doesn’t seem to happen unless it gets COLD and windy.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
They make a self limiting heat tape that can be used on plastic pipe. Make sure you get the self limiting type not one controlled by a thermostat.
https://www.nventthermal.com/product...432-17783-1024
Thanks, its accessing the pipes that is the problem but if the warm air heater doesn't work then I'll try the tape, I might open up the under belly this summer and apply it anyway for next winter.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
Had the same thing in my TT. Everything would be fine but the back bathroom sink when things got really cold. Same as you, we ran a small heater in there and it thawed out. Must be some piping close to the outer perimeter that gets colder than the plumbing more toward the center is my guess. Doesn’t seem to happen unless it gets COLD and windy.
I think the actual problem is that the under belly heat duct is on the same side as the kitchen sink, bathroom sink and shower but the toilet flush pipe goes across to the other side of the trailer where the heat isn't reaching.