Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2019, 06:44 PM   #1

Tongue jack makes quite noise but wont raise or lower and light works

My 2018 jayco jay feather tongue jack suddenly stopped working. this has happened before and i changed the fuse and continued working but now the light works and when i hit the button it makes noise but wont go up or down. If anyone has any suggestions it would be much appreciated. thank you
flatley11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:17 AM   #2

If it is at its extreme up or down position it could be jammed. If it has a backup crank to manually raise or lower it try using that to see if it helps.
Moderator on Hi-Lo Trailer Forum
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatley11 View Post
My 2018 jayco jay feather tongue jack suddenly stopped working. this has happened before and i changed the fuse and continued working but now the light works and when i hit the button it makes noise but wont go up or down. If anyone has any suggestions it would be much appreciated. thank you
Welcome to the forum and like RichR said, try moving it with the crank and see if that helps.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:01 AM   #4

+1 on using the manual crank to get out of a pinch.

Longer term solution is to replace with a better product. I replaced mine with a Husky that was higher capacity than the cheap OEM Jayco put on there and was a ball-bearing drive instead of the other type. I got mine covered on warranty (dealer took the hit for me), but I was willing to pay out of pocket to replace that garbage with a better product.

My only slight regret there was not getting the one with the remote control. But it was fine, and I probably would've lost the remote anyway...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:29 PM   #5

Thanks guys. I am able to raise and lower with the manual crank so im thinking the motor has died on the unit
flatley11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatley11 View Post
Thanks guys. I am able to raise and lower with the manual crank so im thinking the motor has died on the unit
Definitely replace it then. And NOT with the cheap OEM one that would be put on for a warranty replacement.

Mine failed due to water intrusion even though I tried to keep it out of the elements with covers and whatnot. I offered to pay my dealer the difference between what the warranty part cost and the "upgraded" part cost, but the dealer said it would take too much time and paperwork, so he just gave me the new Husky and took the original from me. I installed it myself, so dealer had no labor in it, only parts.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:09 AM   #7

Another thing is that your fuse holder MAY be corroded due to water. This will allow a small current to make it through for the light but any large draws will not be allowed to go through the corrosion/rust.

Check your grounding too... If you have a volt meter, go to a bare spot on the jack body and then the negative terminal of the battery. Should be around .2 to .3 ohms or so for a good connection.
Neo1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:56 AM   #8

+1 for going with the Husky. The ball bearing drive is very precise, starting & stopping very quickly.

2017 Jay Flight 32BHDS
2006 GMC 2500HD Classic CC SB 4x4 6.6L Duramax/Allison
Vasquez Kid is offline   Reply With Quote