Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-13-2021, 08:48 AM   #1

Tongue jack not working

I need your guys help once again. My front end has sunk a little into the ground after sitting a couple months. I just went to raise it up a notch and the jack is not working. Not even making a sound. No power at all.

A couple weeks ago I painted the frame and propane cover. So I did disconnect the battery in order to remove it and paint underneath. Reconnected battery and now jack isnt working. I only used the jack once when I brought her home. Havent taken it out yet just been working on resealing everything and painting the frame and other random things that needed TLC.

Any idea what could be wrong? Upon quick look all wires seems to be connected.. power is working inside the trailer. I even plugged to the house first before trying the jack..
Attached Thumbnails
20210113_092521.jpg   20210113_092721.jpg   20201121_125024.jpg   20210105_144407.jpg  
Jayco2015JayFLIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:00 AM   #2

There should be a 30amp fuse on the + side of the jack's power connection. I would check that for starters. It appears that it's inside that black rubber square compartment on the green wire.
Old 01-13-2021, 09:01 AM   #3

Ok thanks I will check. Do I have to disconnect the battery first to check it?
Old 01-13-2021, 09:03 AM   #4

My first thought is a blown fuse, very common issue.

Your statement that you did some painting makes me think you have a bad ground connection, Did you remove the Jack when you painted? Did the ground wire get removed from the TT frame when you painted? Do the inside lights work, when not connected to shore power?

If the inside lights do not work, I would start off by checking the ground wire connection at the TT frame. Remove it, clean up any paint or corrosion. Check the wire crimp connection. When you re-install it add a start washer between the TT frame and the wire crimp connection. This star washer will "bite" into the metal on both sides to give you a good electrical path.

If you removed the tongue jack, I suspect you have a bad ground connection. I removed one mount bolt (have the tongue on the TT or quality stand). I added two star washers. One between the bolt head and the tongue jack. I then added another star washer on the underside, between the nut and the trailer frame. Again to ensure a good path for the electrical ground.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:18 AM   #5

Thanks guys the fuse is blown. I'll go grab another. Why did it blow though? Just from disconnecting and reconnecting the battery?
Old 01-13-2021, 09:48 AM   #6

After sitting for a long time the system may have been a little corroded? I had a bad ground on mine and finally ran a ground wire from the bottom bolt direct to the battery.

It just may have been time for the fuse to go. Don't forget to stock up on a couple extras in case (when) it happens again.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
My first thought is a blown fuse, very common issue.

Your statement that you did some painting makes me think you have a bad ground connection, Did you remove the Jack when you painted? Did the ground wire get removed from the TT frame when you painted? Do the inside lights work, when not connected to shore power?

If the inside lights do not work, I would start off by checking the ground wire connection at the TT frame. Remove it, clean up any paint or corrosion. Check the wire crimp connection. When you re-install it add a start washer between the TT frame and the wire crimp connection. This star washer will "bite" into the metal on both sides to give you a good electrical path.

If you removed the tongue jack, I suspect you have a bad ground connection. I removed one mount bolt (have the tongue on the TT or quality stand). I added two star washers. One between the bolt head and the tongue jack. I then added another star washer on the underside, between the nut and the trailer frame. Again to ensure a good path for the electrical ground.
I didnt remove jack or ground when painting. It was in fact the fuse. I replaced and now its working again.
I think I noticed the ground and star washers your speaking of...They look pretty rusty..Do I need to change these or if everything is working dont worry about it? Can this have anything to do with blown fuse?
This might be a stupid question but I noticed another ground on the back bumper. Just curious how many grounds are there and why is there more than one?
Attached Thumbnails
20210113_110839.jpg   20210113_110903.jpg  
Old 01-13-2021, 02:00 PM   #8

You haven't posted or I missed your model and year.

On my 195 RB I have a ground on the frame under the trailer near where the breaker-box/converter box with 2 wires leading to it. My jack was self-grounding to the frame. This rusted a bit and I ran a separate ground wire to the battery from a frame to jack bolt. On my last one the bolts all rusted and did not make a connection.

I would suggest you take off the bolts, clean the frame and the ends of the wires and reconnect. Watch for corrosion between the wire and the ring on the end of the wire. Use dielectric grease to help keep it clean for as long as possible.

ps put a bucket over the jack head to help keep it dry, I pull up my trailer cord and stick it up under the bucket to keep it dry also.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 02:17 PM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Be sure your grounds are clean and use some die-electric grease for protection.
The best way is an installed ground directly to the motor of the Jack.
These Jacks fail easy by water intrusion and overheating due poor wiring connections.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote