Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-26-2019, 07:18 AM   #21

When mine died on my TT, I replaced it with a Husky Brute. It was a tossup IIRC of that one vs the Bulldog. I chose the Husky for a couple reasons I don't remember now, but I'm pretty sure one of the primary reasons was a ball bearing drive vs standard screw drive? I kind of wish I had gotten the one with the remote though...

If you're going to use jack stands to hold the camper up while you do this, make sure your wheels are chocked well. Those jack stands are not physically attached to the frame and will not offer ANY torsional resistance, so it wouldn't take much for the trailer to roll right off the stands.

I would recommend hooking it up to the truck. That's what I did and it worked just fine for me.

Also, my bolt holes were not symetrical, so I couldn't just "clock" the jack how I wanted. I solved the tailgate problem with a longer hitch shank.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:23 PM   #22
Site Team

I had to use the stab jacks. It went south just after raising it off the ball. There it was...no up, no down, just a really disturbing noise from the motor. After I replaced it, I just had to tear down the broken one to see what failed. I knew the motor shaft had broken, as it fell off after removing the bolts. It was on year six of a five year warranty, and no parts sold for it.
I needed something to do that day, anyway!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 04:30 AM   #23

I just purchased this one. The Husky Brute with remote.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Mike
mikegray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:03 AM   #24

I am replacing my original electric jack with the Husky Brute. The old one has a ground wire from the frame to the neg. terminal on the battery. The Husky says it is internally grounded so you don't need the ground. What should I do with the old ground wire? Would it hurt to hook it back up to the battery or should I just tape it up?
Thanks, Mike
mikegray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:14 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegray View Post
I am replacing my original electric jack with the Husky Brute. The old one has a ground wire from the frame to the neg. terminal on the battery. The Husky says it is internally grounded so you don't need the ground. What should I do with the old ground wire? Would it hurt to hook it back up to the battery or should I just tape it up?
Thanks, Mike
If the only thing it’s grounded to is the jack then get rid of it. Your new one like mine is grounded through it’s own steel case and the bolts that go through your frame when you tighten it down make the grounding connection. Don’t freak out if you try to test your new one before you bolt it down and it doesn’t work. Until you run a bolt through the frame or it’s touching bare/unpainted steel it won’t complete the connection. Don’t ask how I know....
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote