Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-22-2019, 10:10 PM   #1

Tongue Locks

I very recently bought a Jayflight Slx 28 ft. and had an Equalizer Four Point Hitch installed. I love the trailer and absolutely love the hitch. I am having difficulty finding a tongue lock to fit. A 5 5/16 is a bit too small. Does anyone know which brand and type will fit.
annkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 07:44 AM   #2

Surf etrailer.com they have many to choose. Or give them a call..

https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=Trailer+hitch+locks

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 02:22 PM   #3

I've use the "butterfly" model before on TT and boat trailer with no issues. If you're wanting something during storage, this style makes it a bit more difficult for the bozo to cut the lock off since the pin is somewhat protected by the coupler lever and the body of the lock itself. Not fool proof, but they could/might move on to a TT with just a padlock on it.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 04:52 PM   #4

I did some research and settled on Proven Industries, it encompasses the entire tongue as well as most of them capturing the emergency chains. They cost abit, but seem better built, googling it, most of the lower end locks take only seconds to a few minutes to defeat. While none are fool proof, you're trying to make it difficult to get.

https://www.provenlocks.com/
Old 08-24-2019, 06:47 PM   #5

Thank you Don and Donna. I’ve looked this site online but guess I should give them a call.
Annkat
Old 08-24-2019, 06:49 PM   #6

Hey there jump, what exactly is the “butterfly” model? I’ve not come across that term in relationship to locks.
annkat
Old 08-24-2019, 06:50 PM   #7

Thank you rockaw. I shall explore this site.
annkat
Old 08-25-2019, 06:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by annkat View Post
Hey there jump, what exactly is the “butterfly” model? I’ve not come across that term in relationship to locks.
annkat
Meant to reference the etrailer link in the post above mine but had a senior moment there. Click on the link and browse, should see the butterfly model as etrailer calls it. I also have a couple called Gorilla brand locks, similar to a regular padlock but has a raised brass should one side that reduces the amount of the shackle exposed, making it a bit harder to cut the shackle but not much.

Most coupler locks will not stop a determined bad guy, but encourage the lazy ones to move on to another trailer that has less protection.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 06:55 PM   #9

Annkat, I have the same problem as you maybe the same trailer 245slx. I have searched high and low and the largest shackle lock I have found only measures 4 3/4 inches. Right now I have wheel locks protecting my trailer but with the lip on these tongues being so wide I'm considering getting a little metal ground off on each side so the 4 3/4 will fit. Wondering if anybody else has done just that.
Habsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:23 PM   #10

Thanks Habsfan, I didn’t think of grinding. I do have a boot on one of the wheels.
I did look into a “butterfly” lock as mentioned above and that looks like it would work too. If you grind, please let me know the results.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:44 AM   #11

Hi Annkat,
Thanks for your reply. I have tried one butterfly lock so far without success. Master Lock 605DAT. It measures slightly over 3/4 inch where it would go over the tongue coupler latch. It wasn't quite wide enough to fit mine. Others I have seen online seem to measure the same or less. Please let me know if you find one that fits yours and I will return the favor if I find one first. Will also let you know if / when I grind the lip as mentioned in my first post.
Habsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:05 AM   #12
Site Team

Here is my setup. So far it works fine... unknown if anyone has attempted to beat the system.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Attached Thumbnails
MISC - Tongue Lock.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:14 AM   #13

The lock you need depends on where you're keeping your trailer. I have the "butterfly" as referenced on the etrailer link. But, I store my trailer in a fully enclosed metal storage unit which has a really nice German lock on it. The unit is in a storage facility surrounded by a barbed wire fence with coded access, lights, and security cameras everywhere. Also, there are more expensive trailers in open storage in the same facility.

My dad's trailer is on some rural land. His trailer was stolen. The thief cut the smallish padlock on the gate to the property with bolt cutters and easily popped off the 2 locks he had on his hitch: the "butterfly" and the "blockhead" as seen on the aforementioned etrailer link. Both locks were found on the ground. The "butterfly" was bent and the "blockhead" was cracked. Probably a crowbar.

Dad got his trailer back, but after deductibles and insurance limitations for "personal effects," he's down about $1,000. And a lot of headaches. Dad, now, has the Proven Industries coupler lock and a big yellow wheel lock.

On a happier note, the thief is serving 7 years for his little felony.
2016 GMC 2500HD CrewCab SLT 4x4 Duramax
smithmdsmith is offline   Reply With Quote