Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-10-2018, 11:13 AM   #1

Too Good To Pass Up

Hi Folks,

We have finally decided to move up to a travel trailer. My DW said the popup was too much of a hassle. We found a 1996 Jayco Eagle 265BH that was too good to pass up. We only paid $500 for it. It will need some minor repairs and a little elbow grease to clean it up. Being the son of a contractor and the fact we have already restored (2) popups we're up to the task. We plan on posting the restoration on the forum with pictures along the way. We towed it about 70 miles to its restoration destination without any issue. I checked out the dry weight (4800#) and estimated the tongue weight based on the dry weight but, I got a lot of sag on the rear end when hitched. Our TV is a 2106 Nissan Frontier with a Tounge Max of 610# and Tow capacity of 6100#. I have a WD hitch I will use in the future and sway bars. I am also installing Firestone Ride-Rite air bags. We do not plan to ever tow with water in any of the tanks as we only use campgrounds with hookups and facilities to empty the tanks. We mostly camp in eastern NC and southeastern US.

Any thoughts on the TV-TT set up?
TheGreatMossySearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:31 AM   #2

What's the gvw of that trailer? That's what it'll weigh going down the road, or closer to that then the dry weight.

Load it up and take it to a cat scale. I'm guessing you are over your payload, tongue weight, axle weight or maybe all three.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:40 AM   #3

Good luck with the restoration. Look forward to seeing pictures of your progress.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:06 PM   #4

Oops. It's a 1996 Jayco Eagle 264BH and the NADA lists the weight at 4955#.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:56 PM   #5

Have fun with the restoration and looking forward to pics along the way.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 02:26 PM   #6

Congratulations! Please share photos of your project.

Never ever use the "dry weight" to calculate towing. It's a fictional number. You will never tow the trailer at the dry weight when ready for camping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyDad View Post
What's the gvw of that trailer? That's what it'll weigh going down the road, or closer to that then the dry weight.

Load it up and take it to a cat scale. I'm guessing you are over your payload, tongue weight, axle weight or maybe all three.
I concur. That's a big trailer. Ready and loaded for a camping trip you'll be a lot closer to the GVWR. Calculating your tongue weight (10-15%, I always use 13% because that's more realistic than 10%), your "dry" tongue weight is 624#. When you load the trailer your tongue weight will increase.

Look for a sticker in your driver door that lists the payload. Subtract from that number the weight of your family, anything you carry in the truck, and the weight of the WDH (usually around 100#). The final payload # will determine how much tongue weigh you can really support.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:49 PM   #7

I'll get it weighed after the reno. On the short trip I mentioned I did not experience any alarming issues. I guess having towed all manner of things over 2 decades makes me a little wiser and cautious when towing/driving. My RPM's were within their normal range unless on a steep grade. Trailer brakes performed well. Tongue weight is by biggest concern. Once I add the air bags to the truck and WD hitch is on it should level out more. I'll likely remove the fresh water tank and store it since we won't be needing it. If it wasn't for the tongue jack I'd ditch the batteries too. We only camp where there is shore power. The wife and I weigh in under 275 pounds and may toss the bicycles in the bed. We usually grocery shop once we set up camp so, a lot of the weight some folks have we do not..

If contractors stressed out over trailer weight everyday then a lot of houses would be built even slower or the cost would go up. Just a little humor there. Deep breaths...relax. Load those trucks and get to the job site. Hahaha
Old 10-10-2018, 03:53 PM   #8

Air bags may level the TT but do nothing about adding cargo capacity. That is the important number as others have said. Batteries, propane and cargo in the TT are not factored into their tongue weight number.

Good Luck with your rebuilt, make sure you use RV appropriate materials and not Stick and Brick materials. Weight is a major issue.

Enjoy your new digs..

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 04:21 PM   #9

Sounds like fun. I look forward to ypu restoration posts.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 05:07 PM   #10

Wish you well on your new adventure.

2019 Whitehawk 28RL
2018 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/3.55

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:20 PM   #11

Can't ditch the batteries even if you had a manual tongue jack. At least one battery is needed to power the trailer brakes should the emergency break away cord get pulled.

And I don't think I'd ever remove the fresh water tank either. You never know when you might need some water on board. I understand you never camp where there aren't water hookups. But what happens should the water lines at the campground get cut. You'd have to leave, or move to another spot.

And I know I've had to make emergency stops to use the on board facilities when other rest room facilities were not available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatMossySearch View Post
I'll get it weighed after the reno. On the short trip I mentioned I did not experience any alarming issues. I guess having towed all manner of things over 2 decades makes me a little wiser and cautious when towing/driving. My RPM's were within their normal range unless on a steep grade. Trailer brakes performed well. Tongue weight is by biggest concern. Once I add the air bags to the truck and WD hitch is on it should level out more. I'll likely remove the fresh water tank and store it since we won't be needing it. If it wasn't for the tongue jack I'd ditch the batteries too. We only camp where there is shore power. The wife and I weigh in under 275 pounds and may toss the bicycles in the bed. We usually grocery shop once we set up camp so, a lot of the weight some folks have we do not..

If contractors stressed out over trailer weight everyday then a lot of houses would be built even slower or the cost would go up. Just a little humor there. Deep breaths...relax. Load those trucks and get to the job site. Hahaha

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:33 AM   #12

A small 12 volt motorcycle battery is light weight and will power the brakes in case of a break away. Just an idea. I also carry 2 gallon water bottles to flush toilet if needed. I never carry water in my onboard tanks either.
Blue Ox Sway Pro
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
TxTwoSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:28 AM   #13

We ended up with pop up issues in 2016 when our second pop up kept blowing the circuits when we used the electrical unit to pop up the thing. After a disastrous camping trip in 2005 we went pop up in 2006. We went TT in 2016 and loved it. It was a Jayco sleeps three due to the fact the husband said he was done camping. I lost the bet when I brought it home and he said when do we go camping. Deck the husband. Last summer we traded the sleeps 3 to a bunk model sleeps 5 and I love it. A foot bigger and taller. As for the weight ratio the jeep tows 5500 and the TT is 3500. I was told it was a good fit and it tows like the TT is not there. I do eventually want to get a bigger jeep not a TT. This is the retirement model. Good luck with the new up grades and can't wait to see the pictures. As for the television? I am going to wait on black Friday and in April have Camping World install it for us. I am not that good with keeping things on the wall. Good luck and I agree. Once you get older and the children are gone a TT is the way to go. No more free labor.
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:35 AM   #14

This sounds like my kind of project, you will enjoy yourself. Looking forward to the pics.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:38 AM   #15

We hope to have some pics to post soon. A couple before and after types. Yes, I'm (we're) looking forward to the fun on remodeling and refurbishing the TT. Some folks may be daunted by a project of this magnitude but, growing up helping Dad with his construction business makes this seem like a tiny sq.ft remodel...I plan on upgrading the power center, plumbing and use lighter materials when and where ever possible.Gotta use a little left and right brain power when doing this stuff.