Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-19-2018, 11:04 AM   #1

Too Small?

We took our family to Grand Canyon about three weeks ago and had a great time. But we realized that our camper might be too small, and yes it really is. We have a 23RB but we have 5 kids that are still camping with us. We had set an expectation that the kids would be sleeping in tents, which they did but three of the ended up with colds and probably should have been in the camper but we didn't have the space for all of them.

How many of you have had a similar issue?

Are we going to regret getting a larger camper? We are thinking about a Jay Flight Rocky Mountain edition Baja 267BHSW.

We bought the 23RB because it was smaller and our TV at that time could pull it but since then we have bought a truck and 12k is not an issue.

Thanks for your input.
codfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:35 PM   #2

Too Small?

We have a 287BHBE. We can all sleep inside(5 kids). It’s a big trailer to tow, but it’s nice when the weather is bad and we’re stuck inside.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 04:37 PM   #3

267bhs is a great floor plan! I also don't care to tow anything larger than that! We routinely camp with 3 adults and 4 children. My wife and I take the queen bed. My daughter gets the couch, one son on the dinette, another son on the top bunk and my sister and her son on the bottom bunk. The only issue I have is the lack of available storage without lifting up the dinette seats or couch. We end up with luggage in front of the fridge and couch. That's our own fault though.
sasiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:17 AM   #4

Old advice

Sometime back I read here that you should "buy your second RV first". We had a smaller bumper pull for a few years and it was tight living. Sold it to a friend and bought a bigger truck and a fifth wheel. We still, on occasion, sleep too many guests in it, but we know how that'll be and plan for it.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasiki View Post
267bhs is a great floor plan! The only issue I have is the lack of available storage without lifting up the dinette seats or couch. We end up with luggage in front of the fridge and couch.
If you're handy you can make doors for the dinette seats. Every camper we looked at had to have easy access to dinette storage without having to lift up the cushions.
mod: Dimming awning
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
SOMBATFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:25 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by codfish View Post

Are we going to regret getting a larger camper? We are thinking about a Jay Flight Rocky Mountain edition Baja 267BHSW.

We bought the 23RB because it was smaller and our TV at that time could pull it but since then we have bought a truck and 12k is not an issue.
You are in the situation that many people end up in with RV's. Be careful however not to confuse size and available sleeping surfaces. You definitely need something that can sleep more than your 23RB. But don't fall in to the trap of having such a large unit that you don't want to hitch up and go. I've seen it happen many times over the years, each trailer ends up physically bigger and bigger and then all of a sudden, the owners quit traveling with it because it is too big to handle comfortably or to find that you limited in site availability due to size.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
You are in the situation that many people end up in with RV's. Be careful however not to confuse size and available sleeping surfaces. You definitely need something that can sleep more than your 23RB. But don't fall in to the trap of having such a large unit that you don't want to hitch up and go. I've seen it happen many times over the years, each trailer ends up physically bigger and bigger and then all of a sudden, the owners quit traveling with it because it is too big to handle comfortably or to find that you limited in site availability due to size.
I think it depends on the person and comfort. I enjoy pulling a big trailer because I know when I get there we can spread out and relax. But i also accept the fact that there are places I cannot take my trailer. But it's most certainly a risk and there is a snowball effect... Bigger trailer = bigger truck and this can lead to higher fuel costs and maintenance costs as well.

There are too many trade offs to list. We recently went the trailer route from a class C for many of the same reasons the OP listed. I don't have 5 kids, but even with two as they got bigger the class C got crowded and I got tired of converting the dinette to a bed.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:43 PM   #8

Well...It looks like our 23RB is getting traded in this week. Gonna miss it. It will be great for a smaller family.

Thanks for your replies.
codfish is offline   Reply With Quote